Home Sports Talk

Erin Andrews reveals the two coaches that intimidate her

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fox sideline reporter Erin Andrews recently told The Carlos Watson show that of all the coaches she's interviewed and spoken with over the years, there are two coaches that have always intimidated her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/more/top-stories/erin-andrews-intimidated-by-2-coaches/amp

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must admit, these two coaches have always intimidated me as well, they are very scary men.

Just look at Bill Belichick, you're looking into the eyes of a vicious beast. If this doesn't scare you, then I don't know what does.

And look at Nick Saban, I wouldn't want to play for him. You don't know if he's going to coach you, or beat the crap out of you!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing she never met Vince Lombardi.

You know, Terry Bradshaw once said that when he played for the Steelers, he was scared of Chuck Noll. I suspect this is often the case with a lot of great coaches, they rule with an iron fist, and intimidation causes fear, which makes their players play better. Terry was terrified of Chuck Noll.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing i learned in all my years playing football grades 7 thru 12, is that all football coaches are crazy, with the worst being the head coach. LOL

Actually i always thought their rants, tirades, or whatever were funny, not scary at all.

Scary to me would be at war, sitting in a foxhole in some foreign land with enemy troops all around. I think that would probably scare the chit out of me.

@stevek said:
    One thing i learned in all my years playing football grades 7 thru 12, is that all football coaches are crazy, with the worst being the head coach. LOL

Actually i always thought their rants, tirades, or whatever were funny, not scary at all.

Scary to me would be at war, sitting in a foxhole in some foreign land with enemy troops all around. I think that would probably scare the chit out of me.

I couldn't imagaine being in a war, in a situation like that. I have watched a lot of documentaries and read a few books and studied some of the most horrific battles in history like, Iwo Jima, Hamburger Hill, Stalingrad, Omaha Beach, and I couldn't imagine being in a situation like that.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2021 10:23AM

@stevek said:

I think most coaches make enough stupid decisions to be called out on it, intimidating is not any word that would describe my feelings towards any Coach let alone scary. I think you summed it up well here Steve

@hammer1 said:
    Good thing she never met Vince Lombardi.

Yes, Vince Lombardi is a terrifying man. Thanks for mentioning him, I won't sleep tonight!

:):):)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is all about perspective. What does someone feel when the other is there? All people are different, and as they age they can see through the vernacular. A lot comes down to motivation. Why is someone there? What do they stand to gain or lose? There are many reasons why a person could feel scared in that moment. It could be true fear. It could be the knowledge that you have to do what another person says , or risk losing what you have. Etc.

I've heard scary stories about Jimmy Johnson as well. If someone showed up late to practice, he would take it out on the whole team. Can you imagine screwing up during a game, and having to face this on the sideline!

In the story it just sounds like she is in awe of how great they are. I don't know if that translates completely into fear in this case.

Not one hair dares to move.

Another coach you didn't want to mess with was Bill Walsh, I heard he was feisty. Look at him, he's just looking for a reason to start breaking heads!

The only thing that ever truly frightened me was pretty women.

If they wink at me, i immediately collapse.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herb Brooks

Rob McClanahan played for Herb Brooks for seven years -- in college at the University of Minnesota, in the NHL with the New York Rangers and for the United States hockey team that shocked the world and won gold at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

And in all that time there was one constant in their relationship: Fear.

"When he passed away there were hundreds of players at his funeral and every one of them would tell you they'd play for him tomorrow. He was a winner and that's what you play sports for," McClanahan said. "But candidly, I was afraid of him.

"But prior to his passing [in a 2003 car accident] we were starting to break down that barrier. He wasn't my coach anymore, he was becoming a friend. We could actually banter back and forth and have a jovial conversation. That part is sad. I wanted more of that relationship. But we can share in his legacy."

U.S. Olympic coach Herb Brooks was distant and motivated through fear, but the players who won gold with the "Miracle on Ice" team recall him fondly to this day as being ahead of his time.
    In the 23 years between the Miracle on Ice and Brooks' passing, the connection between the players and their "my way or the highway" coach didn't soften. But their respect for him continues to grow.

"He was the right guy at the right time to coach that team. I don't think we would have won with anyone else," said Ken Morrow, a four-time Stanley Cup winner with the New York Islanders and a key defenseman on that 1980 team. "To me he goes down with Vince Lombardi and John Wooden and all the great coaches from other sports. He was innovative, 20-30 years ahead of his time. Everything he did could have backfired but he knew it was the way you had to play to beat those teams."

Part of his method was to keep his distance from the players and to be seen as an adversary.

"I still think to this day he would have loved to hang around us and be part of us. But he wasn't going to do that," Mike Eruzione, the captain of the 1980 team, said. "Until the day he died he stayed away from us. By choice. He didn't enjoy it but that was how it had to be.

"I got calls from him once in a while. When he called the house I would panic and think, 'Uh oh, he's gonna yell at me.' I'm married with three kids and he'd call and I'd say, 'Oh God, what did I do wrong now?'"

The players agree actor Kurt Russell did a brilliant job portraying Brooks in the movie "Miracle." One critique?

"He was a little friendlier and softer than Herb really was," Eruzione said. "There is a scene where one of the players skates up to Herb and gives him a snow shower and he smiles. That would never happen. And if it did there would be no smiles."

All the players remember the night in Norway when the U.S. tied the Norwegian team with a lackluster effort and Brooks was so incensed he ordered the team on the ice for an hour of "Herbies," an exhausting conditioning drill. Even after the arena manager turned off the lights the team kept skating to Brooks' commands.

"But for the record none of us threw up like those kids in the movie," Morrow said. "And we beat Norway 8-0 the next day."

Eruzione recalls the famous speech Brooks gave before the 4-3 semifinal win against the Soviet Union, in which Eruzione scored the game-winning goal.

"But it was a lot shorter than in the movie," he said. "And when that game was over he never said a word to us. He never even came into the dressing room. After we won the gold medal against Finland [two days later], he never came into the room and said, 'Nice going boys.'"

But Morrow remembers he had something to say the day after the Friday win against the Soviets.

"We came in for practice Saturday feeling pretty good about ourselves," Morrow said. "We had just pulled off this monumental upset. The guys were signing some sticks for people and stuff. Herb came in and he just flipped out. He put the hammer down real quick. We had one of the hardest practices of the year that day. He skated our butts off. So much for ‘The Miracle.'"

'MIRACLE ON ICE' CEREMONY
    Coyotes to honor 10 players from 1980 team
    But that team handled the extra skating with no problem.

"We were in the best condition of our lives. He made sure of it," Morrow said. "I never felt the same way in the NHL that I did during that tournament. We were so ready.

"We outscored teams 16-3 in the third period -- 2-0 against the Soviet Union and 3-0 against Finland. And that's why we won. We wore teams down."

Brooks did give the team rope in some areas. After every goal in the Olympics the U.S. bench would empty and the entire team would pile on the goal scorer in celebration.

"We were young and enthusiastic and we just did it. No one else did it and it wasn't ever planned," Morrow said. "We were just so tight as a team by that time that it was a genuine expression of joy."

Fans flock to reunions of Morrow's old Islanders teams in New York. He's seen the same kind of response for the "Miracle" 1969 New York Mets. But the "Miracle on Ice" team always will be different.

"There have been teams that have captured certain cities or regions," he said. "But when you sit down and think about what we accomplished, it resonated with the whole country and even for people beyond our borders. The response and the reaction to that tournament is beyond everything I've ever seen."

For McClanahan the connection is still strong with the Brooks family. He's gotten to know Brooks' son Danny very well through the Herb Brooks Foundation, and McClanahan coached a youth team in Lake Placid with his daughter and two of Brooks' grandchildren.

"I benched the two grandkids," McClanahan said with a laugh. "Payback."

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the exception of maybe Saban, i don't think any of these coaches have anything on Gregg Popovich.

I still remember reading some of Tony Parker's anecdotes about Pop. suffice it to say you would not want to blow even the tiniest of assignments while playing for him, otherwise you would have an acutely distressing story to tell.

practically everyone who has played for the man has nothing but mad respect for him, however

@galaxy27 said:
    with the exception of maybe Saban, i don't think any of these coaches have anything on Gregg Popovich.

I still remember reading some of Tony Parker's anecdotes about Pop. suffice it to say you would not want to blow even the tiniest of assignments while playing for him, otherwise you would have an acutely distressing story to tell.

practically everyone who has played for the man has nothing but mad respect for him, however

Yes, I've seen him get upset many times, he can be very vicious!

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Ditka was the epitome of rage!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

"next guy that misses a free throw is gonna buy me a new car"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcegYF_Ti78&t=260s

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

"next guy that misses a free throw is gonna buy me a new car"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcegYF_Ti78&t=260s

I love when he takes the handkerchief out of the guys pocket and wipes his face with it! 😂😂😂😂

@LandrysFedora said:
    Mike Ditka was the epitome of rage!

Yes, Mike Ditka was very intimidating, he could really get nasty!

Another man that was very intimidating was Bear Bryant. He could work you so hard, you wouldn't be able to take it anymore. Read "The Junction Boys".

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

as far as intimidating coaches go, there are 2 that top my list.

1. the big tuna. some of the tongue lashings he gave out to phil simms are legendary.

2. Bobby Knight. the only coach so far on this page who would physically mix it up with you. remember him throwing chairs and choking that player. whoa. he is scary.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get being intimidated by a coach you're playing for but one you're interviewing? Yeah, I don't get that.

@Tabe said:
    I get being intimidated by a coach you're playing for but one you're interviewing? Yeah, I don't get that.

I might be wrong, but i don't think she is using the word in the same way this thread is using it regarding these other examples.

Yes, and Terry Bradshaw was very scared of Chuck Noll, why do you think he is the way he is today? I'll tell you why, because of the years of being terrified of Chuck Noll. It really messed him up mentally. Am I going to have to prove it? Am I going to have to break out my pics of Terry Bradshaw in daisy dukes? Don't think I won't do it!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Pops.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@doubledragon said:
    Yes, and Terry Bradshaw was very scared of Chuck Noll, why do you think he is the way he is today? I'll tell you why, because of the years of being terrified of Chuck Noll. It really messed him up mentally. Am I going to have to prove it? Am I going to have to break out my pics of Terry Bradshaw in daisy dukes? Don't think I won't do it!

Please. Don't do it.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Please. Don't do it.

Ok, for now. But just remember, my Terry Bradshaw nudes are always ready for action if necessary.

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Please. Don't do it.

Ok, for now. But just remember, my Terry Bradshaw nudes are always ready for action if necessary.

Too late, the damage was already done just with the text.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Please. Don't do it.

Steve just remember, if you ever need to see them, just PM me and I'll shoot them right over to you.

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Please. Don't do it.

Steve just remember, if you ever need to see them, just PM me and I'll shoot them right over to you.

I'd prefer the Rosie O'Donnell nudes if that's okay.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Please. Don't do it.

I'd prefer the Rosie O'Donnell nudes if that's okay.

No thank you, not even I can handle looking at those!

🙄

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the first 5 words of the title and then opened the thread. My eyes were disappointed.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.