Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1837 Central American Republic 8 Reales Silver Coin. Counterfeit?

Morning all,

I recently picked up this 1837 CAR 8 Reales down here in Nicaragua. It's minted in Guatemala (if it's real).

I got this from an estate purchase, so I don't know its travel history.

It weighs only .2g less than the mint weight, which seems realistic for its age (Again, if it's real).

Magnets don't stick, and I believe it passed the ping test.

Supposedly 90.3% silver.

I've examined it through a magnifying glass, and the lettering seems to match with photos of other legit versions of this coin, but I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

Regards,

Bruno

Comments

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

It looks authentic to me. Nice find!

• Options

Thanks Euclid.

If you had the time and inclination, are there any specific reasons or details about the coin that lead you to believe it's legit?

:smile:

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Another member of the forum showed me this website:

https://www.monedasdeguatemala.com/indexIN.html

You can navigate to "Catalog" under Central American Republic and see 5 die varieties for 1837. I compared your coin to them and it appears a match to one of the die pairings.

I can tell you which one I think it is but it's fun to try for yourself if you like :)

• Options

My man! That is so sweet, I'll go have a look shortly.

Thanks!!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edge design seem to show an overlap on the Edge 3 image - is there a corresponding edge overlap 180 degrees accross? Also, Edge 3 and Edge 4 seem to be showing the same edge segment. Weight and die elements seem.. passable. At least it looks die struck. Not sure what that metal glob on the edge in your Edge 2 image is. I'd do specific gravity testing or other non-destructive silver test to check the purity of the alloy.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Edge design seem to show an overlap on the Edge 3 image - is there a corresponding edge overlap 180 degrees accross? Also, Edge 3 and Edge 4 seem to be showing the same edge segment. Weight and die elements seem.. passable. At least it looks die struck. Not sure what that metal glob on the edge in your Edge 2 image is. I'd do specific gravity testing or other non-destructive silver test to check the purity of the alloy.

Thanks for this feedback and advice!

I've attached another photo of the edge at 180 degrees across.

I'll look into doing a specific gravity test and post the results.

• Options

I'd do specific gravity testing or other non-destructive silver test to check the purity of the alloy.

@TwoKopeiki

I performed a specific gravity test as you recommended (interesting to learn that) and this was my calculation:

26.8g (Dry weight) divided by 2.7g (Submerged weight) = 9.925

I gather it was supposed to be closer to 10.34 if it is a legit coin?

Thanks for your help!

• Options

And yet, I did the same test with a Walking Liberty Half Dollar and got a 10.0.

So, perhaps it is legit after all?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

SG of 9.9 would point to a fake, however if your WLHD is measuring at 10 - i'd question the accuracy of the test. Quick search shows that WLHD is 90%, which corresponds to the period 8 Reales.