Home Sports Talk

OFF TOPIC......MYSTERY TRAIN

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2021 4:17PM in Sports Talk

I wouldn't ordinarily do this but over on the coin forum sometimes members bring up topics that aren't coin related. So.....if it's good enough for them.... HELL!.....it's good enough for here!

Anyway,... Go to YOUTUBE tonight and listen to ELVIS PRESLEY sing MYSTERY TRAIN. Turn it up!!! BEST SONG EVER!!!!!!

P.S. Wagner' Das Riengold and Gershwin's Rapsody In Blue, and American In Paris come close. BUT......ELVIS TAKES THE CAKE!

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 5:21PM

Elvis is God, I still say he's the most famous person of all time. It is estimated that he sold over 1 billion albums worldwide, more than anyone in record industry history!

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Led Zeppelin Kashmir one the greatest songs in the history of the world! Timeless!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

alright, I took you up on it. so I am not too big on music in general. I, of course, know Elvis, but had never heard this track before. you can tell it is an old song, but it just makes you want to tap your feet.

great song. thanks for the recommendation!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Elvis is god......

I always just thought you were kind of o.k.,...........NOW I know for sure that you've got your head screwed on right.

But........next time whenever referring to "E." Please capitalise the G in God.........I'll sleep better......Thank you in Advance.

edited April 19, 2021 5:36PM

@LandrysFedora said:
    Led Zeppelin Kashmir one the greatest songs in the history of the world! Timeless!

Do you have ANY idea how many people Led Zepplin ripped off? Stairway To Heaven? RIP OFF! Can you say LEAD BELLY?........They ripped him ROYAL!
    Jimmy Page, yea, he could pound the box, but.......a total JERK. Worst guy ever!

Ever heard of THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS? Wild, Wild Horses? They got ripped too.
    LED ZEPPLIN?....ROLLING STONES?....... Beatles?.....RIP CITY!

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:
    Elvis is god......

I always just thought you were kind of o.k.,...........NOW I know for sure that you've got your head screwed on right.

But........next time whenever referring to "E." Please capitalise the G in God.........I'll sleep better......Thank you in Advance.

Correction made.

edited April 19, 2021 5:37PM

Oh,.....and Jimmy Page is now the big fat slob he always was. The HAIR never fooled me....or...Chuck Berry...... may he rest in peace. Talk about being ripped off by the " English Invasion." ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Elvis is God, I still say he's the most famous person of all time. It is estimated that he sold over 1 billion albums worldwide, more than anyone in record industry history!

As long as we are still going off topic.

@doubledragon you are wrong.

God is God. Elvis is Elvis.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

As long as we are still going off topic.

@doubledragon you are wrong.

God is God. Elvis is Elvis.

I'm sorry, but doubledragon is not available at the moment, you know he goes to bed at 8:30 p.m. I will give him your message first thing in the morning.

Sincerely,

-Samsung Galaxy

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Do you have ANY idea how many people Led Zepplin ripped off? Stairway To Heaven? RIP OFF! Can you say LEAD BELLY?........They ripped him ROYAL!
    Jimmy Page, yea, he could pound the box, but.......a total JERK. Worst guy ever!

Ever heard of THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS? Wild, Wild Horses? They got ripped too.
    LED ZEPPLIN?....ROLLING STONES?....... Beatles?.....RIP CITY!

The fact is that Elvis wrote virtually none of the songs he sang.

Knocking "Stairway to Heaven"? Page copied one small part from Spirit, and expanded on that small part to make it better. Much better.

"Stairway to Heaven" overall is an original rock classic, and it was adjudicated in court to be exactly that.

Many rock artists have re-written old blues songs to account for modern electronic instruments, into a rock sound. In my view it's a compliment to the inherent greatness of blues music.

I was never an Elvis fan. However it's impossible not to acknowledge the tremendous charisma that he had on stage. A great entertainer for sure. But let's not overstate his songwriting prowess because Elvis didn't possess much of that skill.

edited April 19, 2021 8:08PM

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:
    Elvis is god......

Correction made.

THANK YOU. I THANK YOU. AND ELVIS THANKS YOU. WE BOTH .....THANK YOU! 🕺🤴

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 11:17PM

I own a lot of vinyl

Elvis is cool. He is the King. I don't own a single album of his. Just not my jam. I probably don't change the channel if I hear him crooning but I don't seek him out. If you ever get a chance to watch the Sinatra docu-series it has a great clip of Frank and Elvis singing together. Chills and magic. Elvis at his best. I love Sinatra. He life story is rich.

Johnny Cash I own 14 of his albums

Les Zeppelin I own multi copies of every album. They get a lot of play

Tom Petty, Beach Boys, AC/DC, Jack White, Black Sabbath, Roxy Music, Talking Heads are amongst artists I own complete catalogs of. There are others

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elvis Presley - You'll never walk alone

Brings me to tears.

Heck, it even brings me to tears when Liverpool fans sing it after their game.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knocking "Stairway to Heaven"? Page copied one small part from Spirit, and expanded on that small part to make it better. Much better.

"Stairway to Heaven" overall is an original rock classic, and it was adjudicated in court to be exactly that.

Spirit opened for Zeppelin. I’d imagine hearing that opening riff had great influence on Page.

If you want to hear classic Spirit listen to “Nature’s Way”. Part of my youth and it’s a great song.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

I agree
    Elvis Costello rocks

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@2dueces said:

Spirit opened for Zeppelin. I’d imagine hearing that opening riff had great influence on Page.

If you want to hear classic Spirit listen to “Nature’s Way”. Part of my youth and it’s a great song.

<<< Spirit opened for Zeppelin. I’d imagine hearing that opening riff had great influence on Page. >>>

Actually it was the other way around, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit, and without question whether on the tour or listening to Spirit's album, that opening riff from Spirit had an influence on Page while writing "Stairway to Heaven" the words of which were actually written by Robert Plant.

I've read where that similar riff was in other music well before Spirit, but i never searched for it on Youtube.

The fact is that basically all rock groups copy from other earlier groups. But the great ones convert that into new interesting sounds...like Led Zeppelin, the Stones, and the Beatles.

There are very few true original geniuses in the rock music world such as a Chuck Berry who i think is the greatest genius in rock and roll history.

@jay0791 said:
    I agree
    Elvis Costello rocks

Costello was also great with Bud Abbott in that famous baseball comedy routine "Who's on First".

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2021 9:09AM

The last time I saw Elvis preform live at the international hotel in las vegas, I believe was in 1972. We tipped the maitre d' pretty good and our party got seated just behind Jack Lord, and adjacent to Jerry Quarry. Like me, and and all the males at the concert they were coming out of their seats at the greatest show on earth. The side show was watching all the women going absolutely nuts, it made a Beatles performances look like a Sunday church service.

No one in the early 1970's audience would ever see a live performance equaling the performance put on by Elvis.

He was the King.