Home Sports Talk
Options

are you planning on attending any sporting events the rest of the year?

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've been to one golf tournament thus far and will be hitting up at least two more

and even though i'm now very apathetic and thus extremely ignorant about baseball, in a couple of months i'm playing the role of the good son and going with my old man to watch the Cardinals play a 3-game set in STL. i hope brian jordan and ray lankford are in the lineup. and it would be cool to see rick ankiel pitch.

what's on your sked?

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not hesitate to go to any, but sadly I have spent most of my adult life attending very few live events. As a kid growing up, into my teen years and late teens, I went to see my teams in the Boston area on occasion. Good times indeed. I am in my mid forties, and I have been to very few live sporting events over the last two decades. I took my oldest son to a couple things. Went a few years ago to a Red Sox game when I was up in Massachusetts. My wife and two youngest have zero interest in going to anything sports related, and I live in Texas thousands of miles away from my extended family. This thread has made me think of these things, and I realize I should be attending done stuff on the occasion. Typing this out, it occurs to me that there is no reason I should not go on my own. 😂😂😂 So to answer your question, nothing planned, but I'll keep everyone posted.....

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not.

My interest in card collecting has actually increased over the years. But my interest in attending the games has waned for various reasons, nothing at all having to do with covid.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

When football season starts, I might go watch the Carolina Panthers play. I haven't seen my cats play in a while. Of course, there hasn't been much to see in a while, we suck, so why bother making the trip. If I want to watch the garbage get taken away, I can just stand by the curb on Tuesdays.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended many many red sox games as a youth, as I grew up and started paying for things for myself and tickets/food prices rose exponentially i started to watch from the couch and spend the money elsewhere. I haven't been to a Sox game since 2007. I don't plan on attending any live this year either.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

HD TV, Surround sound. Own bathroom and kitchen in the next room. Need I say more.

I attend at least one game a year. I was at the Bruins-Flyers game last year two days before the NHL shut down.
    It's lots of fun to attend a game with another family member who enjoys sports.

The ticket prices are bad though, especially if you have kids. I used to take my girlfriend in the 80s at $10-20 bucks a ticket
    to see any sporting event. I remember paying $75 a ticket to see Jordan and the Bulls play in the 90s.

Now I'm paying $125 a ticket. It's well worth it for me. Especially if you have children who enjoy sports.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 6:28AM

My season tix got lotteried for the United home opener next weekend and the 2nd game so I'll be hitting those. Going to a day Braves game in May with my brother. He's been already this past week, said it's sweet with limited crowd - no waiting for anything.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I quit going a few years ago. Can't afford it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@cashhound said:
    NO .... I will not go to any or watch any on TV. I would explain why but the forum rules will not allow it.

For full disclosure , I will be watching games myself.

But I liked your comment, and you have my support.

🇺🇸

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped going to games way before the pandemic and before it became political, I simply cannot stand the absurd cost of everything involved plus I enjoy it way more in the comfort of my house.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have a Coke and a hot dog. Sir, your total comes to $12.50

No thanks!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

No thanks!

That sounds too low. 😂😂😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

No thanks!

That sounds too low. 😂😂😂

It actually does lol

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'll have a Coke and a hot dog. Sir, your total comes to $25.50

No thanks!

Fixed it for ya Double D 👍👍😂😂😂

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

no

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t spent $3k on an entertainment system to spend $1k to watch a single game in person. Just doesn’t make sense.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll probably head to some pirates games this summer. Tickets are usually cheap, and I just don’t buy anything in the stadium. Keeps it a low cost event for me. I plan on going to Penn state football games this coming fall assuming fans are allowed in.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 8:14PM

It depends. I really would like to go to the Ram's games this year. If for no other reason than to sit in the seats I'M PAYING FOR!!!! But, I really don't know if I could handle the mask thing if it's mandatory. I HATE THE MASK!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually take in 1-2 Milb games a year. Have no desire to pay big $ for MLB in person games.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miami Hurricanes football. Wife and her dad are alum and season ticket holders so I usually end up going to a few games every season.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'll sit this year out but I'm open to changing my mind.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cashhound said:
    NO .... I will not go to any or watch any on TV. I would explain why but the forum rules will not allow it.

Same for me. I stopped before the government lockdowns due to politics. Cancelled my MLB and NHL subscriptions. And I am just talking about watching on TV.

I quit going in person years ago due to safety of my family and vehicle. And cost was another factor in that decision.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Not a chance.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant to post a couple of days ago, but I went to the Bruins-Rangers game on the 8th. TD Garden was a very scary place, as was North Station going to the game. It was better afterwards.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Braves vs Mets in Atlanta next Tuesday evening.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose you were not contemplating virtual attendance or just parking on the couch to avoid the traffic.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing professional
    Too expensive and still a little Covid leery
    Free tickets might change those feelings
    Most likely sticking to watching my grandkids play sports

• Options
    edited May 14, 2021 5:57AM

Hit the park with my brother to watch the double series sweeper. Our bullpen is horrible.

First pitch to Acuna and he belted it a section over (fair) and up for a 442' homer.

After 5 innings we headed to the Chop House. We got a 2 run homer in the 6th for the lead again as soon as we snagged the rail spot.

And then the 8/9 innings happened and we just stunk it up for the loss. Was a great day off though, got some sunburn stripes on my shins and a nice red neck despite the ginger sunscreen slathering before the game.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Planning a trip to Socal in August. First order is a trip to Dodger Stadium with family.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2021 7:41AM

Hit the Benz last night for the first full capacity United game. Had a good tailgate going with my brother and some friends, ~10 of us and man it was good to be back to tailgating proper.

Was a sellout but there were some empty seats. Masks 'recommended' but not mandatory and there were folks wearing them and most were not but everybody was cool either way - no karening tik tock reddit crap going on!

I switched my season tix to these seats last year but only got the first game in them last March before things shut down. Absolutely love these seats, got a bar and bathrooms right behind us. They moved us around for the first game for the 50% distancing seating but we are back in these for the rest of the year.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

virtually... the only reserve seating I have is the situation recliner. The short walk to the refrig is a selling point

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭

I pay for MLB on my 55 in tv and can listen to Remy explain everything and it does not cost me as much as it would to go to one game in uncomfortable seats.