Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS grading question, as in 'will they grade this type of coin'. Who would I ask? Pictures!

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's nuts but despite just passing my 18 year (!!!) anniversary of joining these message boards, I've never actually joined any kind of membership that allows coin submissions. In general my attitude is slab agnostic, being overseas and/or geographically limited meant I appreciate the services in a huge way but never enough to actually join up.

That said, PCGS has taken huge steps in one of my two favorite series, and has switched to using a much more accurate reference (went from Krause to JNDA) and certifies a lot more varieties., not to mention going pre-Meiji. Enough that I'm actually planning on 'joining up'. After 18 years. No need to rush things.

One thing that will tip me over is if they will certify the porcelains from 1945 Japan. There is a VERY limited amount of actual illustrations in both Krause and JNDA. Only one of the types apparently escaped into the wild and was actually used. But now that I'm expanding a bit in terms of what I have (not just that common Mt Fuji 1 sen).

It's not the end of the world if they remain free of plastic, but I do like slabs for storage, protection, and when my offspring decide to liquidate. In my very early days of collecting I tried to shove one in an airtite and realized it just didn't fit well (to get the thickness meant the diameter was bad) and I have no idea how the sizing rings would react to the clay/porcelain.

So slabs would be nice and I've seen a couple in PCGS slabs now. But will they slab all of them?

For attention (and my newps will be posted on arrival):

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of those yes I think they will slab.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 8:53AM

One thing I have found is that PCGS likes to have a reference book so they can differentiate them and catalog them. It even helps authentication. Hint hint.

Krause’s future is too uncertain at this point.

Lovely coins! Congrats!

• koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I had a couple of unlisted patterns and asked the question to customer service. Never heard back from them and just sent them in with notes giving provenance and other pointers. The coins were authenticated and graded, and the day I received them at home, got a note from customer service saying they cannot decide based on images and description, but need to see them in hand. :smiley:

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I have a suggestion.

Ask some of the Japanese dealers if there is a Japanese book cataloging these porcelain coins. Order two copies, one for yourself and one for PCGS!