Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee fans throw a nasty fit

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The New York Yankees aren't doing too good this season, and the fans are very frustrated about it. Things got ugly last night when the fans held up the game and began throwing baseballs onto the field. Here's the scene on video and the story.

Yankees fans throw a fit — and balls — as team enters cellar; Aaron Boone vents in a better way

The last-place Yankees played poorly in their 8-2 home loss to the Rays on Friday night. Some of the 10,202 fans at Yankee Stadium behaved poorly in response.

A group of spectators caused a delay in the bottom of the eighth inning by tossing baseballs onto the outfield turf from the bleachers. (How did they get those balls into the park? Great question.)

New York manager Aaron Boone shook his head as he watched from the dugout.

"You kind of hate seeing that. Unfortunately a handful of people end up doing it and it looks bad for everyone," Boone told reporters after the game, per MLB.com's Bryan Hoch.

The fans threw fits and objects because the Yankees were falling to 5-8 on the year and into the AL East cellar. The Bombers committed three errors, allowed 11 hits, issued seven walks and hit a batter against the defending American League champions.

Boone held a team meeting postgame but kept what he said private as he met with reporters. New York outfielder Clint Frazier, however, filled in some blanks. He said the skipper was, um, "upset."

"If you aren't aware of how things are going, then we were made aware after the meeting," Frazier said, per SNY.

"I think hearing it from him is a little bit different from hearing it from players sometimes," Frazier added. "Because Boonie is one of the most . . . he's one of the most positive guys behind the scenes for us. . . . I feel like he's a person that he's so chill that when he does address us the way that he does, everyone should listen because he's not the kind of guy that really gets that upset.

"I think your ears perk up a little bit more whenever a guy that's so chill expects so much out of you and we aren't giving it the way that we can."

Yankees DH/outfielder Giancarlo Stanton didn't use as many words as Frazier, but he had the same view.

"[Boone] was obviously very upset, and rightfully so," Stanton said, per MLB.com.

Frazier and Stanton's words about the meeting won't placate fans who want Boone fired for the bad start. At the very least, they want the manager to unleash a profane rant and insult the players while the recorders are rolling to show he cares.

But Boone is a baseball lifer who knows that acting like a fan won't help. He took a professional approach Friday night.

"It's got to be better," Boone said of his team's play.

There was no throwing of fits — or objects. The skipper was better than that.

Comments

• Options

Uncle Lou would never take this. He would get his team back in line, and if they didn't listen to uncle Lou, then they could expect a "Thrilla with Piniella."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=les8ZwzwnbI

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's like 13 games, what's to worry about. by my count there are 149 games left for them to figure it out. can anyone say Drama-Queen?? :D then again, it is New York City and these are the Yankees.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here i thought New York fans say they never misbehave? LOL

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Combination of the pandemic, plus a generation of children whose parents thought it wasn't in their children's best interest to punish them when they misbehaved, always taking their child's side instead of the teacher's side, or always too busy on their cell phone to discipline their children, plus a combination of too much alcohol and things not going your way. I hope they watch video and never let anyone caught doing it to ever enter Yankee stadium again.

• Options

@stevek said:

I think Mets fans are known to be a little bit less aggressive than Yankee fans.
    A good steel cage match would be Yankee fans versus Philly fans.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

I think Mets fans are known to be a little bit less aggressive than Yankee fans.

Most New Yorkers when buying a ticket to a Mets game, think that they'll be attending a soccer match.

They get confused when entering the stadium and the field doesn't look like a soccer field, and the ball the players are using is much smaller than a soccer ball.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

Most New Yorkers when buying a ticket to a Mets game, think that they'll be attending a soccer match.

They actually think that they are buying tickets to a barmitzvah. During the 7th inning stretch of the barmitzvah they
    play hava nagila over the pa system.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahaha I love frustrated Yankee fans 😂😂😂

• Options

This would have been a lot more entertaining if Aaron Boone had put Giancarlo Stanton in a headlock and began pummeling him. I miss uncle Lou.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Hahaha I love frustrated Yankee fans 😂😂😂

JLo wanted to share a picture of one Yankee fan she frustrated quite often.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

i sure do feel bad for those poor poor Yankees...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Let's not be too harsh on New York fans. Their water supply is highly contaminated with lead and an assortment of other toxic chemicals affecting their brains. So their abhorrent behavior may not be totally their fault.

• Options

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced. I wanted to see Aaron Boone put Giancarlo Stanton in a headlock and pummel him. I wanted them to have their own Piniella vs Dibble type fight. It could be called the "Thrilla with Booneilla".

• Options
    edited April 17, 2021 8:57AM

This thing could have been big, it could have been pay-per-view big!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 11:42AM

In 1966 I threw a paper airplane from the first row of the reserved seat section at Dodger Stadium. Third base side. $2.50 ticket. The airplane landed on the pitching rubber. The pitcher was Al Jackson. Cardinals. He picked up my airplane and put it in his back pocket. I was thrilled. Try doing that.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    In 1966 I threw a paper airplane from the first row of the reserved seat section at Dodger Stadium. Third base side. $2.50 ticket. The airplane landed on the pitching rubber. The pitcher was Al Jackson. Cardinals. He picked up my airplane and put it in his back pocket. I was thrilled. Try doing that.

That is awesome 👏

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

I just picked up a 67 Al Jackson card in near mint condition for 4 bucks a few days ago. I was not a thought yet when his career began with the Stengel led 1st year Mets but in reading up about him he seemed like a tough lefty who pitched on some very challenged teams. Is this an accurate assessment?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was never and will never be a Yankees fan, but I did live in New York City for seven years, and I lived in the Bronx for six of those years. I took the subway back and forth to work. Yankee Stadium was one of the stops. I would see an entirely different crowd of people on the train on game days as I headed home and they went into the Bronx to watch the Yankees.

Living in NYC changed me in many ways. Years into it I definitely had developed a different type of anger and a very quick rush to action that I didn't have before. A lot of it was out of necessity. Living a different way. It took me years to unwind after I left. So, what I'm saying is, this story does not surprise me in any way. 😂😂

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I was never and will never be a Yankees fan, but I did live in New York City for seven years, and I lived in the Bronx for six of those years. I took the subway back and forth to work. Yankee Stadium was one of the stops. I would see an entirely different crowd of people on the train on game days as I headed home and they went into the Bronx to watch the Yankees.

Living in NYC changed me in many ways. Years into it I definitely had developed a different type of anger and a very quick rush to action that I didn't have before. A lot of it was out of necessity. Living a different way. It took me years to unwind after I left. So, what I'm saying is, this story does not surprise me in any way. 😂😂

Took me years to adapt to the slower Southern way of life after leaving NY. When my daughter visits I see the same anger, rage and frustration in her. She can’t understand letting people in, getting cut off and waving and not in a hurry to go nowhere. My wife and I just laugh. Sure wish I could kidnap her, (she’s 32), plant her here for a year. She’d live longer.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 3:07PM

>

Living in NYC changed me in many ways. It took me years to unwind after I left. So, what I'm saying is, this story does not surprise me in any way. 😂😂

Several years ago I spent a week staying with a friend who lives in Brooklyn. I got the tour of the town, New York City, from the local viewpoint. That town is the most amazing place! My main take away......tall buildings, short people, cops everywhere, and NOISE. I didn't run into anyone taller than me, I'm 6'3" , and most people seemed on the defensive. I loved it! But it took me a week or so to "unwind" from the NOISE! My ears were ringing. AND.....don't hold a door open for the ladies!!!!.......if looks could kill!
    The three most awesome places in this country (besides the ranch) are Niagara Falls, New York City, and The Grand Canyon. 🗽🗽🗽🗽🗽🗽🗽🗽

P.S. I didn't know what Italian food was until I got the real thing in NYC. Just like 99% of Americanos don't have the slightest idea of what good Mexican food is. MAMA MIA!!!!