Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In Need of Sherpa-Level Guidance - Floor or Ceiling?

There are two cards I've wanted to purchase for some time now, to hopefully give to my sons one day - PSA 10 1984 Topps Mattingly and PSA 8 1993 SP Jeter.

When I looked them up several months ago they were both at the $1500 level. I was pretty shocked at how much they were (last I had checked they were more like $600-$700) and told myself I'd wait until the price decreased. Kept an eye on things and by January/February they both were at around $2500! Kicked myself for not purchasing them at $1500. I looked again today and they are both back at that $1500 range. Talk about fluctuation! Yeesh.

Would appreciate any guesses on whether I should purchase now as they've at least come back down to the $1500 range, or if you'd guess they'll go back to where I thought they were a few months ago, in the $600-$700 range. I know it's hard to predict these things with how volatile the card market is currently, but I really want to get these to leave to my sons and I just don't know enough to take an educated guess...

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 2:57PM

jeters is gonna rise again. and will prolly come back down a few months after enshrinement. but i seriously doubt itll settle back down to $1500.

you have time on the mattingly. folks are also still ripping 84 topps with more frequency than 93 sp.

and for the record mattingly is the man. this comes down to purchasing w your head not your heart.

just quoting opinion off prices and ranges in op. dont follow those two closely on the reg

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the million dollar question brother. I'm of the opinion that nobody can tell you that answer. You just have to go with your gut. Any answer is merely one person's opinion and at the end of the day it is your hard earned money that gets spent. With that being said, my opinion is that the premier card of legendary players especially on big market teams typically doesn't go down over the long run. I'd certainly include the 93 SP Jeter in that group. It is also the card that is in the post WW2 HOF rookie PSA set, which people chase, and there is an ENORMOUS jump in price to obtain a 9. The card is extremely tough, and extremely valuable so I doubt enough 9's or 10's are out there raw to change the table on it's value. So, my best guess is that card continues to rise in value over time. I don't think the Mattingly rc checks all the same boxes, but I'm not willing to say you will be able to find it cheaper down the road. I don't really collect Yankees or Mattingly, so my opinion on that card doesn't have much weight.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

IMO, cards are just like the stock market. We saw an insane spike a over the last year and now a pullback. No way cards could keep that pace. It’s healthy because the cards get into stronger hands that won’t sell and the cards will eventually increase in price with demand. Again, just my opinion, but I personally would go for the Jeter first. That’s an iconic card with huge potential. I personally don’t think it’s going any lower than it is right now, but that’s just me. PWCC has three PSA 8s ending tonight, I would bet all of those end under $1500. It’s weird, but there will be a price difference of $100 or more on the three. Like $1500, $1400 and maybe even $1200. PWCC usually brings a premium, but when they sell multiples of the same item, one or two can be had at a bargain. Be patient on the Mattingly and you should be able to get one in the $750 to $900 range.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 5:25PM

@soxaddict said:
    IMO, cards are just like the stock market. We saw an insane spike a over the last year and now a pullback. No way cards could keep that pace. It’s healthy because the cards get into stronger hands that won’t sell and the cards will eventually increase in price with demand. Again, just my opinion, but I personally would go for the Jeter first. That’s an iconic card with huge potential. I personally don’t think it’s going any lower than it is right now, but that’s just me. PWCC has three PSA 8s ending tonight, I would bet all of those end under $1500. It’s weird, but there will be a price difference of $100 or more on the three. Like $1500, $1400 and maybe even $1200. PWCC usually brings a premium, but when they sell multiples of the same item, one or two can be had at a bargain. Be patient on the Mattingly and you should be able to get one in the $750 to $900 range.

Agreed!

The Jeter's Pops in 9 have been super stable I think in last 10 month it's gone up by only 1 or 2. I say if you are looking to get a PSA 8 "buy the dip" as they say in the market. As the years go on an this era specific low POP 9 becomes more and more out of reach the 8's will ride their coattails. Go after one while it's still possible in effect.

The 84 Topps Mattingly on the other hand POP's are increasing as others have pointed out. Unless Donnie gets in the Hall I see his cards more likley to level or dip once the current boom is said and done. I will say though many collectors seek his cards more actively than they do many HOF's. Just imagine NYY had won a series during his era? IMHO he belongs more hall material than many others who have got in via Veteren's Committee - especially recently. Still NYY have bias' may exist among voters so longevity and Don's numbers need to be strong, sadly Don fails in the former :(

As a kid pulled the 84 Topps in Sept 1985 (card store wax pack purchase). It's a very strong 9 but still a 9 but with the many memories attached the exact one I own is worth more to me personally than a 10 slab.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you get the Jeter that closed tonight for 1K ? That was a good price IMO.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

PWCC sold three. $1376, $910, and $995.

• Options

Great responses so far, thank you! I wish I had checked the PSA 8 SP Jeter auctions last night! Still, I'll keep an eye on them in coming days and grab one. I agree now is probably the time to get it.