Home Sports Talk
Options

Evel Knievel - An insane man

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't alive yet when this guy was doing his thing, but I have been watching some of his stuff on Youtube lately and he was crazy and borderline insane. He broke a lot of bones over the years with his jumps. Who remembers watching this legendary man and his crazy, insane stunts?

Comments

• Options

You know, he attemoted to cross Snake River Canyon in a freaking rocket! The stunt failed, and a parachute was deployed and he sank to the bottom of the canyon. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated.

• Options

Insanity.

• Options

Here is the video of his attemot to rocket over the canyon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1khN1xyBw

• Options

He also attempted to jump the fountains at Caesars Palace and missed the landing and broke a lot of bones.

• Options

The landing was where it went wrong.

• Options

Here is a video about his Caesars Palace fountain jump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPZq9rdNEI

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody watched him, he had no fear.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a legend and a name I knew from early childhood. A name which was synonymous with being a daredevil .

This thread prompted me to read a bit about him. Just a cursory glance on Google shows that I know little about him, and that his story is rather extraordinary and a bit off the rails.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched all his stunts. He was so popular that one of the most popular sitcoms Happy Days had its main star Fonzie jump 13 trash cans in a 1976 episode when Evil was very popular. Evil played himself in a Bionic Woman episode. His toys are very collectible and he has a pretty neat card set. I have an unopened pack and some cards. Cool stuff.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was more of a Super Dave Osborne fan.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

He was truly fearless, jumping Harley's in the 70s is an incredibly difficult thing to do, especially the landings. The guys today have specially designed bikes for jumping and they have shocks on their bikes to help with the landings, and their bikes weigh less. Evel Knievel didn't have that luxury, he used the heavy Harley which was insanely difficult to land and as you can see from his Caesars Palace fountain jump, that the landings could be very costly. I think he broke over 40 bones in his body from that jump.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

I was more of a Super Dave Osborne fan.

2:57 :D

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    I watched all his stunts. He was so popular that one of the most popular sitcoms Happy Days had its main star Fonzie jump 13 trash cans in a 1976 episode when Evil was very popular. Evil played himself in a Bionic Woman episode. His toys are very collectible and he has a pretty neat card set. I have an unopened pack and some cards. Cool stuff.

They also had Fonzie jump over a tank with a shark in it, thus creating the later-to-be-famous phrase "jumped the shark".

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born in 76, so I was a little late to the EK party. But he was still a household name for me and my friends growing up for sure.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 3:13PM

He had some stones, I'll tell you that. Can you imagine if the parachute would have failed on the rocket, he would have fallen all the way down to a certain death. The man was a god. A god I say!

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 3:25PM

I'm not going to lie, I've been poking around the Evel Knievel card section on the Bay, and I've got my eye on something, and I just might pull the trigger on it. You see, this is what happens when you guys start these kind of threads. Whoever started this thread is forcing me to spend money!

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Check out Gary Wells's attempt at Caesar's. He was the 2nd guy to try it. Evel was 1st. I remember when this happened. I was a kid but it was brutal. It's a short video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uiRdiy-D3_8

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Check out Gary Wells's attempt at Caesar's. He was the 2nd guy to try it. Evel was 1st. I remember when this happened. I was a kid but it was brutal. It's a short video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uiRdiy-D3_8

Man, that was absolutely brutal. I'm surprised he survived that!

• Options

Let's get this out here so everyone can see this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRdiy-D3_8

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had his 1975 bicycle that my parents bought for my birthday. Other kids in my neighborhood wanted it.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this bad boy in the 70s, jumped the hell out of everything in the house.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Yes! I had that too!!!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy used to work at the Davenport Hotel inn Spokane WA. He delivered a room service milkshake to Evil at 2:30 am. He met the man for 10-15 seconds. Big tipper too.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 10:40AM

I was there. Only problem is I was a day late and a dollar short. I would have made it to the BIG BLAST OFF on time if only the Utah State Highway Patrol hadn't forced my friend and me to WALK 50+ miles from Spanish Fork to Salt Lake City. It's a long story. All I can say is......don't attempt to hitchhike on Interstate-15 in the state of Utah after spending a rousing evening at The Atomic Bar.
    ☢+🍺+🚷=🚔
    Therefore, 🚔=🚫🚀
    Simple logic.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Oh yeah. Had one but mine was orange. My bedroom was on the second floor and it opened to a hallway, then to a bathroom with a balcony. I used to run him out of my bedroom through the hallway and bathroom, off the balcony and down into the backyard. It was awesome. He was crazy and all of us boys knew it. Its why we loved him.