Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Topps Munson - corners or centering? Worth a Review?

Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance of a bump?

Mike
Bosox1976

1971 Topps Munson - corners or centering? Worth a Review?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn - not sure why the images flipped - sorry about that.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Both.

if there were "option e: basically anything getting bumped will be nearly impossible in the near future w/ how they are currently grading", i woulda chose that instead.

yesterday, perhaps but i'd save my money right now.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a shot.

Absolutely worth a shot. That would be a solid 8 candidate to me. Best of luck!

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 5:36PM
    Nope. That corner is a 7.

I agree with Blurry. Not right now. It's a nice looking card, though.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I look at the card in it's whole state without having to scroll I feel like 7 might be the top. One thing is for sure Mike, it's a beauty no matter what number is on the flip.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

I'd go with edge issues front and back. And maybe there is surface issue too?

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all. Always felt it was one of the nicer 7’s in my set, but not enough to crack and sub. Now probably not enough to review either. Appreciate the input.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Mike
    Beauty for sure and they are hitting $5K in an 8 but PSA is well known to be tougher than in the past on 72's.
    Is there a stain? on the back bottom?

I don't think so. However financially it might be worth a shot. Do not crack, Review only.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are tough on this card. I’ve tried to get my 8 bumped and no luck. It’s a very nice 7 but think it’s a 7. Is there a smidge to the left of Thurman?

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    if there were "option e: basically anything getting bumped will be nearly impossible in the near future w/ how they are currently grading", i woulda chose that instead.

yesterday, perhaps but i'd save my money right now.

Agreed, timing is everything and right now isn't it. Put it back in your vault and try again in 2 years.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a really strong 7 and more eye appeal than many technical 8's I've seen That said I feel it is a technical 7. As some say though "buy the card not the grade." Perhaps one future day that practice will again be in vogue?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Both.

i would not risk it. the way psa grades now they might send it back a six or even say it is min size.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 3:44PM

I agree with others that I wouldn't bother at this time. Too much uncertainty with their grading standards at the moment and they definitely get tougher as the card value goes up. When it was a $600-$800 card, you probably would have a 50-50 chance at a bump. Now that it's a $3500-$5000 card, probably 10-90 likelihood that they will bump it.

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2021 5:57PM

Munson grew up just down the road a bit from me in Canton, Ohio. He was older than me and i didn't know him. But he was legendary in those parts. A baseball player in a football mad town.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a shot.

If it's a 7 it should be a 7.5, the centering would put it over the top, imo. It's either a 6.5 or 7.5, isn't that what the .5's mean, great centering.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

What a classic shot this card has! Great action shot. Best of luck with trying to get a bump. I think it looks like a great card!

Error and RC collector.