Bid retractions (12 months):

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Undervalued set IMO.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay loves bid retractors they end up with more money.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

I’m not sure about that in the long run. Every time I am bidding on an auction with any value I check for bid retractions and when I see there are retractors bidding I ignore the auction.

@PaulMaul said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I’m not sure about that in the long run. Every time I am bidding on an auction with any value I check for bid retractions and when I see there are retractors bidding I ignore the auction.

As do i, but do you see what others are doing (in general) with their bidding?

People are insane.

Bid retractors should be banned.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 4:32PM

It's at the point several big major dealers don't even try to hide it. I've seen bidders with over a 1000 retracted bids.

I always use a bidding service to "snipe" and NEVER place a bid with any seller than only runs "private" auctions. If I miss out on an item I may want a result so be it.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    It's at the point several big major dealers don't even try to hid it. I've seen with over a 1000 retracted bids.

I always use a bidding service to "snipe" and NEVER place a bid with any seller than only runs "private" auctions. If I miss out on an item I may want a result so be it.

Exactly what I do.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@PaulMaul said:

@JoeBanzai said:

People are insane.

Well, yes. An auction should be a binding contract and a bid should be a binding contract, but on eBay there is no penalty for changing your mind, which makes it hard to have auction integrity. There are a few simple reforms which would make eBay auctions a lot better, but would require so much more work for eBay that fees would likely need to increase 50%. If you want integrity, you need to go through an auction house. I'm not foolish enough to think that there is no foul play at auction houses, but that way at least you have a chance.

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@PaulMaul said:

@JoeBanzai said:

People are insane.

Well, yes. An auction should be a binding contract and a bid should be a binding contract, but on eBay there is no penalty for changing your mind, which makes it hard to have auction integrity. There are a few simple reforms which would make eBay auctions a lot better, but would require so much more work for eBay that fees would likely need to increase 50%. If you want integrity, you need to go through an auction house. I'm not foolish enough to think that there is no foul play at auction houses, but that way at least you have a chance.

I got screwed once long ago by a bid retraction. The simple solution would be to not allow them. They are not allowed in "real" auctions.

No fees would need to be increased, just eliminate the option. You are asked to confirm your bid, when you do, you have stated twice that you want to bid that amount. That's good enough.

Ebay will NEVER eliminate retractions. They are too greedy.

If I have an item I want, I set a snipe and forget about it. If I win, great. If I don't win, also great.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure that USer ID is a PWCC employee......

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@PaulMaul said:

@JoeBanzai said:

People are insane.

I got screwed once long ago by a bid retraction. The simple solution would be to not allow them. They are not allowed in "real" auctions.

No fees would need to be increased, just eliminate the option. You are asked to confirm your bid, when you do, you have stated twice that you want to bid that amount. That's good enough.

Ebay will NEVER eliminate retractions. They are too greedy.

If I have an item I want, I set a snipe and forget about it. If I win, great. If I don't win, also great.

eBay runs a bare bones system. It's no fault: don't wish to honor your bid, retract it. Not happy with the price something sold for, cancel the sale. Not happy with the price you paid, return the item. If eBay were to eliminate those three possibilities, it would cost a lot in customer service expense. They'd have to adjudicate claims of counterfeits, for example. What happens when a bidder wins a 1983 Topps Boggs in PSA 9 with a below average photo for $150, and then when he receives it decides that the L/R centering is just a little too far off for his sake? What if there is no picture and the auction just says 1983 Topps Boggs PSA 9? Winning bidder receives card 649 in a 9. SNAD? It would be hard to rule that way.

Just eliminating the bid retraction possibility and continuing to allow no fault returns solves nothing. A shill runs the price up again and again until he finally gets it right.

eBay should also eliminate sniping. It would be better for its bottom line, too. Just make it that if a bid comes in the last [certain interval] of an auction, then the end time is pushed out to the end of the interval. 30 seconds would be more than adequate. So if I were to bid with 25 seconds left in an auction, there would immediately be 30 seconds left. Also if someone were to attempt to snipe with five seconds left. If sniping were t become impossible, there would be little reason not to bid large at the beginning of the auction, especially if it came with no retractions.

All this infrastructure is expensive, though.

Retracting a bid in an auction is wrong.

Ebay should not allow it.

This is the end of my commentary on the subject.

Have a nice weekend!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 8:20AM

It would be easy enough for eBay to institute a maximum number of retractions in a given interval - 30 days for example, a simple code change or flip as they might even have it built in but disabled. They likley choose not to do it as it will reduce the final price, thus their revenue of what are manipulated auctions. It's one of the reasons eBay eliminated the ability to view the actual ID that had placed bids. Of course they resort to the old standby (aka pure BS) that is for you safety. Anyone with even the tiniest bit of real world savvy knows eBay has never and will never do anything that does not benefit their bottom line.

As for sniping I'm also sure their actuarial type of number crunching shows it will loose them business. Otherwise it would have been eliminated long ago. Thus it benefits their bottom line by preventing potential lost revenue.

BTW there is and always has been a certain amount manipulation (of course not on every items just a subset) at the auction houses - all of them. Including the house doing the shilling. They know it's nigh impossible to prove. Even if one of them did get somehow caught all it was represent is a fine fine and barely cut into huge amount of the ill got gains. That assumes they are even located in a state where their actions are actually "illegal" to begin with. It is surprising what certain states do allow.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Pretty sure that USer ID is a PWCC employee......

I have no idea if the above is true but have always wondered why people are willing to pay much more than they should to buy from PWCC and Probstein. Why do they always get much more for the same card than anyone else? For example I had been looking for a card recently and the last 2 sold from the above for $700+ and $500+. I picked one up this week for under $270. This is why ignore auctions from these 2.

@ElvisP ...... there are many buyers who are not on forums and are oblivious to Shilling or just dont care to get involved..... PWCC always have many more followers I.E. ("Watchers") of a card that another private seller may not have for the same card..... I surmise of those many more "Watchers" a decent number of them are shiller's .... and they create the frenzy.

edited April 17, 2021 10:15AM

@ElvisP ..... in reality Ebay knows exactly what is going on with all of their shilling and they continue to acquiesce for the money.... Plain and simple. NOthing more than a fact of life. They are both in a very comfortable bed together. They are practically the same company.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

eBay runs a bare bones system. It's no fault: don't wish to honor your bid, retract it. Not happy with the price something sold for, cancel the sale.

I was following a auction SGC card last weekend that sold for over $200. It was a poor price compared to PSA prices of the same card. The seller cancelled the sale, and then a couple hrs later he puts it up at BIN for $2000. Does the seller have to pay ebay fees for the $200 auction for cancelling?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@daltex said:

eBay runs a bare bones system. It's no fault: don't wish to honor your bid, retract it. Not happy with the price something sold for, cancel the sale.

I was following a auction SGC card last weekend that sold for over $200. It was a poor price compared to PSA prices of the same card. The seller cancelled the sale, and then a couple hrs later he puts it up at BIN for $2000. Does the seller have to pay ebay fees for the $200 auction for cancelling?

He cancelled himself.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @ElvisP ..... in reality Ebay knows exactly what is going on with all of their shilling and they continue to acquiesce for the money.... Plain and simple. NOthing more than a fact of life. They are both in a very comfortable bed together. They are practically the same company.

This is true. An EBAY person confirmed it to me about a "High Profile" seller that we all know. She said the auctions don't get paid for quite often.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 3:31PM

@olb31 said:

@coolstanley said:

@daltex said:

He cancelled himself.

Yes he did. I was wondering if the seller gets charged a FVF for ending a auction early or cancelling the sale?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Good thread. I have been looking at some of the past eBay auctions with multiple bids. And looking at some of the personal info of those in the middle where the bid jumps. A third of the bids from one bidder were retracted bids and did business around 10% with the same seller. Of course those where identities are not shown as "private bidders"that's likely something as well. Be transparent!

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had experience with an "item not received" case despite the tracking number showing the item was delivered? I have a buyer who says his item wasn't delivered despite USPS tracking showing it was. I provided the tracking number to the case he filed, and while I feel bad for him if his item was misdelivered or stolen, I hope Ebay realizes that I did my part. It's not insured, but that would only cover damage or non-delivery anyway. While I buy and sell a lot of cards, this particular item is a $65 video game (sorry for the slightly off-topic).

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@SoxPatsFan said:
    Has anyone had experience with an "item not received" case despite the tracking number showing the item was delivered? I have a buyer who says his item wasn't delivered despite USPS tracking showing it was. I provided the tracking number to the case he filed, and while I feel bad for him if his item was misdelivered or stolen, I hope Ebay realizes that I did my part. It's not insured, but that would only cover damage or non-delivery anyway. While I buy and sell a lot of cards, this particular item is a $65 video game (sorry for the slightly off-topic).

This happened to me as a buyer. Tracking shows it was delivered. It never made it in my mailbox which requires a key so there was no way it was stolen. I took the loss because I feel like the seller did everything they were supposed to.

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2021 5:55PM

It's odd that he was actually able to open an "item not received" case. I looked at recent items I've bought that have been delivered and there's no option to open a non-delivery case anymore (maybe it's because I've already left feedback). I hope Ebay will take care of him as a courtesy, provided he has no history of claiming non-delivery for other items.

• StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

On a related note, I was tracking the receipt of my first PSA sub. I saw it was in my town out for delivery. I kept the front door open, because I know it required a signature. Next think I know it, the tracking says package delivered (in my mailbox). Upon further review, USPS remarks said that the package was signed by me! I realize the whole covid/contact thing, but it's an expensive package and PSA sends the package with the signature requirement. I talked to Fed-ex guy. They for a bit were "forging signatures." Now if they see you (even a wave if you are mowing grass, that's considered contact.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoxPatsFan said:

I am dealing with this right now, as a seller, since March 10th. I got notified by eBay that the buyer filed a dispute outside of eBay. My payment has been on hold while the buyer's financial institution is reviewing the case. It was only a $15 record but the USPS tracking shows delivered. Odd thing, he never contacted me inquiring about the record or even filed a claim with eBay. I think he is trying to scam me. We shall see how this plays out.

edited April 19, 2021 7:09AM

My experience with shipping lately~ FEDEX.... I bought an Ichiro RC 2001 Bowman Chrome Refractor the end of January 2021....about 7k all in...... Seller sent it signature required ~ FEDEX was slow ~ I watched tracking every day and it being after the holidays and with Covid it got held up noticeably. Bought the card Jan. 23 and then on Feb. 10th FEDEX records that the card was delivered on FEB. 6th (backdated delivery~ VERY DUBIOUS)in my lobby where we have a dedicated delivery center..... The seller immediately screamed that the card showed it was delivered despite no delivery and we have surveillance camera's (thank the lord) .... The seller paid 14 bucks for signature delivery but we all know there is no insurance for such a hefty card value so he was ultra defensive and accusatory.... SO we go back and forth for 10 long days as I look and file lost package red tape..... SO ebay interprets the fact that I put out the lost package request and not the SELLER that I was up to shenanigans ~ when I felt like this was the direction it was going I called my AMEX platinum and stopped payment.... EBAY immediately closed the case and sided with the seller. Luckily b/c I told the FEDEX supervisor that the FEDEX guy did not deliver the package at the time and date stated and that no signature was given based on video surveillance they reversed the fact that an autograph was recorded as required and admitted to no delivery in documentation that I then forwarded to Amex for a full refund about 3-4 weeks later..... The delivery guy knows all of our staff here at my condo association ~he has been delivering for years to us~ the low down is he wouldn't meet with me and discuss the package and after I spoke with our very trusted delivery dept. and management team they realized the fella lost the package and that to save face he simply recorded it as being delivered four days after he realized it was lost...... he recorded delivered FEB. 6th on FEB 10th ... dead give away. Bottom line ~ establish a strong rapport with the CREDIT CARD you use for purchases on ebay...I happen to use AMEX for their acute purchase protection and I buy consistently high value merchandise and pay it off every month .... so when I call them up and they see thousands of dollars paid off every month with no problems they have faith in my claims if and when crap happens and it's happening a lot lately ..... Ebay is not a company I trust when push comes to shove .. As soon I turned to AMEX they cut the entire claim off and sided with the seller as though I went above them which I of course did. Ultimately I did not pay for the card ~ so I imagine eventually that ebay had to go back to the seller and give him the bad news after they sided with him..... But I am not sure ~ maybe ebay ate the fiasco ~ Anyone in this forum know how this is handled???