Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rookie here

TexhomaTexhoma Posts: 6

I recently bought a 1960 Topps Stan Musial graded NM 7 that a flashlight shines through.

It's the only 1960 I own.

Is that typical of the set?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 4:16PM

very, very unmusial!

i gotta hear the backstory on how this series of events even transpired...

i've honestly never tried to shine a light thru a card. a flip, sure. but never the card itself.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Hi welcome.
    I'm not an expert on this & possibly way off base, however I believe different cardboard stock was used at different factories.
    I have a '69 topps & OPC that are the same way. Both graded by PSA.
    I tried researching it & found that to be the best resolution

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have a few graded 1960 cards, and I just checked them with a flashlight. The light did not pass through any of mine.

• Options

Thank you all. We were without electricity down here in February for 60 consecutive hours. So I was selling a few cards on ebay and used flashlights all the time. That's when I noticed the light through my pricey new Musial card. I could even read backside print on the front side of the card

• Options

I wonder if any of the '51 Mickeys were on that stock?

• Options

How do graders identify reprints? I just checked at ebay and they have a bunch of 1960 Topps. I know for sure I didn't pay reprint price for that card...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Topps+1960+reprints&_sacat=0

• Options

@Texhoma said:
    How do graders identify reprints? I just checked at ebay and they have a bunch of 1960 Topps. I know for sure I didn't pay reprint price for that card...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Topps+1960+reprints&_sacat=0

That's a great question and I've pondered as well.
    Black lights expose the fakes. Do not worry, I'm confident psa flushes out the fakes and reprints easily.

Check out this link,, part way down under opacity
    https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/identifying-trading-card-counterfeits-reprints-direct-comparison/

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 5:13PM

@Texhoma said:
    Thank you all. We were without electricity down here in February for 60 consecutive hours. So I was selling a few cards on ebay and used flashlights all the time. That's when I noticed the light through my pricey new Musial card. I could even read backside print on the front side of the card

i knew it had to be something like that! kinda got me wanting to go try it now. of course thats precisely when my wife and her friends will walk in the room and ask dubya-tee-eff.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 5:16PM

did you try shining it thru the flip? if you see another flip under it, then that will tell ya all ya need to know.

lang under montana

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a picture of Musial in normal light?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

I see what you're saying Blurry.
    Here's what the OP is looking for. White stock:

• Options

Is the back of the Musial off-white or medium gray? I have 10 raw 1960 Topps. The 4 gray backs are opaque to a bright flashlight, and the 6 white backs are transparent like yours. These are commons and very minor stars in low-mid grade acquired when I was a kid back in the 1980s and there's no reason to believe that any are fake.

• Options

any more flashlight Stans out there?