Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Baseball Cellos

With the excitement of another thread (Jim Brown 1958 football pull), it got me thinking about several 1975 Topps baseball cello packs I have. I have been looking to see whether there are common "rotations/sequencing" of cards, like was common in much late 80's Topps rack packs. I did see an article about how some cards are ** and others *, based upon the sheet- A, B, etc. Before PSA shutdown, I did submit one of them with a Yount rookie on the bottom. I have always wondered what may be in the middle of the others I have. For these, I at least don't have to worry about their authenticity and whether they were repackaged. Also weighing whether I should get all of them in slabs, to preserve them. Interested in feedback from the # of 70's collectors on the forum.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

That's awesome. How many packs do you have? Those are way cool. Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

75 cellos and the 75 set are probably my favorite issue from the 70s. A 1975 cello consists of 18 cards~7 cards in front of the gum which are cut from the double asterisk sheets and 11 cards behind the gum which are cut from the single asterisk sheets. Topps used asterisks (or no asterisks) to designate sheets through 1977 before switching to letters A-F in 1978.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@StatsGuy said:

@bobbybakeriv said:
    That's awesome. How many packs do you have? Those are way cool. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Including the Yount on the back I sent into PSA, I think I have 13 packs (of 17 I started with). Two things that are amazing: 1) That I never opened them since 1975 and 2) The price I paid for the packs $0.00. I was playing pinball at the local 5 and 10. The manager had reduced the price of the packs from $0.25 to a dime. He decided he needed to clear space for "new product." So he asked, "Do any of you guys want these (dumping a box of cello packs on the top of the pinball machine no one was playing. ) I let my pinball drain on my machine and stuffed 17 of those packs in my pocket. Seems like I did Ok--wasting a quarter on a pinball game for cellos of my favorite card series. :)

Love that story! That's what makes unopened so great to collect and talk about.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic! Do you remember the machine you were on? I never played much pinball but wasted my fair share of quarters on Defender and Space Invaders, LOL

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    That is fantastic! Do you remember the machine you were on? I never played much pinball but wasted my fair share of quarters on Defender and Space Invaders, LOL

Though I got pretty good at Pac-man (could play over a half hour on a quarter), the pinball game of that day had something to do with the circus theme- clowns, animals, and ringmaster. Sure, but I can't remember what I did **last **week! Incidentally, I still have an early version of a Hand-held Space invaders that my wife had wanted to give away! :)

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I would definitely get them slabbed just for the protection if nothing else, but also to authenticate them as the real deal in the event that you do have to sell, you'll get top dollar.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Besides the yount pack who’s showing on the back of the other ones?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

@jmoran19 said:
    Besides the yount pack who’s showing on the back of the other ones?

No real stars on front or back of the others. Maybe that means the stars are in between :)

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any with a rip, tear, or loose flap? Old time pack rippers may be curious ;)

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Bosox: Most are pretty tight. You raise a good point , though is the PSA grade on cellos based on the packaging, the card(s) they can see (centering/condition), or both. One of the packs submitted has a slight tear on a corner- the cards are good.

• Options

@StatsGuy said:
    Bosox: Most are pretty tight. You raise a good point , though is the PSA grade on cellos based on the packaging, the card(s) they can see (centering/condition), or both. One of the packs submitted has a slight tear on a corner- the cards are good.

Pack grade is based primarily on the condition of the cellophane (any splits, cracks or tears) and how clean the wrapper is as well as the seal on back. The centering of the top card is also a factor in the grade for a cello pack with very OC cards limiting the grade to a 7 at best, usually.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the perceived perception by many of stricter grading overall is being applied as well to the sealed wax pack products.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

All wax packs are graded by BBCE (Steve Hart) and his grading process is A+. It won't change but it will take a little longer because he is swamped.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    All wax packs are graded by BBCE (Steve Hart) and his grading process is A+. It won't change but it will take a little longer because he is swamped.

Are you sure ? It's my understanding that Steve authenticates packs, but does not grade them. If he grades them as well, what is PSA's role, just slabbing them ?

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

76, you are correct . I have heard both. That Steve authenticates and grades , (PSA merely slabs. ) and that PSA grades after authentication. Mabe someone else has more knowledge about it than I do. Regardless, it goes to PSA to Steve and back to PSA. (and it takes FOREVER +1 day).