Home Sports Talk
Options

Edelman or Welker

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can only choose one.

Welker has the stats (and the drop)

Edelman has an amazing postseason career and a very very good regular-season career.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Patriots fans, we all know the pain of the missed catch by Welker. Some of us still hold much anger. I'm being serious. A few years ago I was able to truly forgive him and get past it. It was then that I was able to really appreciate him without always going back to that moment with that anger. Like I said, Patriots fans understand. The guy put his health on the line constantly for the team and our entertainment. And he was the better receiver.

But I choose Edelman. He also sacrificed for team and fan. But he made the catch. And that is where the difference is for me.

• Options

I honestly cant decide. one day its wes, the next Jules. they both were tough as nails. look at the concussions Wes endured.

It is so hard to argue Welkers stat line. I think I have not been able to forgive the drop. even after all these years. no, it was not a perfect pass, but very catchable. he took his eye off, just for a second, and it cost us number 7.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take Edelman, he reminds me a little bit of a guy we had here in Carolina by the name of Steve Smith, not the biggest guy, but played his guts out. Plus who can forget this.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I honestly cant decide. one day its wes, the next Jules. they both were tough as nails. look at the concussions Wes endured.

It is so hard to argue Welkers stat line. I think I have not been able to forgive the drop. even after all these years. no, it was not a perfect pass, but very catchable. he took his eye off, just for a second, and it cost us number 7.

Like I said, I have forgiven him. I think it was after 28-3 that I finally did it. And I wanted to be able to look back on all those "non ring" years without any bitterness. In my heart, I believe that it was Brady who really made the mistake if throwing it to the wrong side. But like they say, "if you touch it you can catch it". Particularly if you are Wes Welker.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edelman and it’s not even close in my opinion. Tougher, fearless and better hands

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody is perfect.

• Options

here are the numbers:
    Wes
    rec Yards TD
    112 1175 8
    111 1165 3
    123 1348 4
    86 848 7
    122 1569 9
    118 1354 6

Postseason
    88 866 5

• Options

Jules seasons after he became a full time WR

Rec Yards TD
    105 1056 6
    92 972 4
    61 692 7
    98 1106 3
    74 850 6
    100 1117 6
    21 315 0

Postseason

118 1442 5

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edelman

Easy call.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jules

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welker was a lot better. He's got the incompletion - I don't consider it a drop since the pass was inaccurate - but the production just slaughters Edelman's.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going with Edelman, he just had so many big plays in big games over the years. I don’t really blame Welker though for not hauling in that Brady pass and NE eventually losing the SB. Had he caught it there was no guarantee that NE would have scored a TD there and a FG would have made it a 5pt game. NY still went the length of the field and scored a go ahead TD for the win.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I’m going with Edelman, he just had so many big plays in big games over the years. I don’t really blame Welker though for not hauling in that Brady pass and NE eventually losing the SB. Had he caught it there was no guarantee that NE would have scored a TD there and a FG would have made it a 5pt game. NY still went the length of the field and scored a go ahead TD for the win.

I also chose Edelman.

It took me years to stop being angry with Welker. And this is despite knowing that Brady threw it to the wrong side (in my opinion). But I forgave him. There is no doubt in my mind we win if he catches it. But looking back on it all, the next years worked out perfectly, and I can't say that we would have had all of that same success without the pain of that loss. It was meant to be, imo.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just find it mind boggling that Welker never won a ring during his time with New England.

• Options

it was partially his own fault.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I'm an nfc guy (Cowboys) so I don't follow afc teams as closely and I was just reading up on Welker and for some reason I was shocked he was never on a Pats championship team even once during their 2 decade superior reign over the football world.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2021 4:57PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@craig44 said:

I'm an nfc guy (Cowboys) so I don't follow afc teams as closely and I was just reading up on Welker and for some reason I was shocked he was never on a Pats championship team even once during their 2 decade superior reign over the football world.

There was a long drought in the middle, full of amazing teams that never won their final games. But that just made what came before and after all the sweeter. But yes, some amazing players came and went without a ring during those years.

Edited for spelling.

• Options

part of those "drought" years were the 07 undefeated regular season and the second SB loss to the Giants. that's the one where Welker dropped the ball. would have all but sealed a victory. even with only a field goal, there would have been very little time on the clock for NY and I believe no time outs.