Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where’s the S?

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gonna take a flier on this coin...old holder, ghost mintmark. But then ebay added tax and I said no way. Seller was very nice about it - I offered to pay any fees and they said thanks but not necessary. So I’ll throw it to the Forum - where the S?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1875-S-Trade-Dollar-PCGS-MS64-OGH-Superb-Eye-Appeal-Fantastic-Luster/384093652691?hash=item596dc406d3:g:Wc8AAOSw7rReF6hQ

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under the right side of the S in GRAINS.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔🤔🤔

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The S is faint, perhaps a grease filled die? Or a conveniently positioned smudge on the slab?

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

all of the eye appeal with less of the mint mark.

perhaps this is an OMM. none over S

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why the mintmark doesn't show up in the photo, but everything else about the coin looks like a SF product, not Philly.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at Coins Facts images, there is a VF example that appears to have a very weak mint mark, not just the result of wear.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say for sure, that slab has its share of scuffs and scratches so the mm might be more easily seen in hand.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    Under the right side of the S in GRAINS.

Show me another 75-S with that mintmark position. I couldn’t find one

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I was gonna take a flier on this coin...old holder, ghost mintmark. But then ebay added tax and I said no way. Seller was very nice about it - I offered to pay any fees and they said thanks but not necessary. So I’ll throw it to the Forum - where the S?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1875-S-Trade-Dollar-PCGS-MS64-OGH-Superb-Eye-Appeal-Fantastic-Luster/384093652691?hash=item596dc406d3:g:Wc8AAOSw7rReF6hQ

With managed payments, there are no nonrefundable fees.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    WIth thanks to Coin Facts:

Yes - thus my ghost mintmark comment. I’ve never seen another...

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    I don't know why the mintmark doesn't show up in the photo, but everything else about the coin looks like a SF product, not Philly.

Agreed

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like we've been around this missing S TD before.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this ghost "S" mm doubled? What is the blurred areas on the legs?
    Just curious.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 4:46PM

in case anyone wants to dig through HA to find if any match that high position. i looked through a page or so and didn't see any variation like that.

something odd about that pcgs 5.0 coin. the mm are rather large on normal examples and that smudge area doesn't even seem to match the size, even if it were just a matter of oddly placed grease. maybe something like this one but not really a good comp.

the seller provided pretty decent image but a close-up of that mm area would help this coin for miles.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

weird.

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I think that the scratched on the plastic are obscuring the S significantly. Same on the feathers. This is not a unique die..... see Die A of attached file... the die breaks on America are the tell. Very interesting plastic scratches.....hope this helps....

keoj

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slab is scuffed and it obscures the mintmark as well as the legs.

The end.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

eBay added tax to a coin purchase of mine today despite being a non taxable good in my state. Every few months this issue seems to pop up. Not sure what tax status on coins is where TDN lives.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

under the s?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen those before as well with equally faint Ss. That coins in the OGH looks familiar but I wouldnt swear to it

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:

This S is much lower than the coin in the OP

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:

@derryb said:
    This S is much lower than the coin in the OP

They appear about the same vertical position to me.
    But the ebay mm position is obscured by the scuff, and the CF mm position is somewhat obscured by wear.
    So comparing the positions in these photos is a somewhat "fuzzy" process involving finding the most likely
    outline of the S.

Fortunately @keoj proved the ebay coin has a known reverse die, based on the crack pattern through ERICA.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found TDN comment about ebay sales tax more interesting. I think having to comply with sales tax rules hurts ebay. as I now look harder for out of state sellers not required to charge sales tax.

I wonder if ebay has any nexus in New York State requiring them to collect NYState sales tax?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've read, the cleaning of rusted dies has caused the loss of mm detail. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    I found TDN comment about ebay sales tax more interesting. I think having to comply with sales tax rules hurts ebay. as I now look harder for out of state sellers not required to charge sales tax.

I wonder if ebay has any nexus in New York State requiring them to collect NYState sales tax?

Especially when ebay gets it wrong. I have been fighting with them to get rid of Conn sales tax on coins, which are tax exempt. Ebay (lazily and stupidly) claim they cannot exempt the coin category because it contains "bullion" items.

Also, I thought all coins over $1,000 were tax exempt in California, so is Ebay screwing that up too?

• Options

the top left serif of the D in dollar has been affected by either the grease or hit of that area. also on the circulated example posted. probably not a coincidence. if not for some comments about the coin exhibiting S mint qualities/diagnostics, i'd question it being an S at all and someone saw that area and just thought it was a weak S.

imho, the scuff on the slab isn't significant enough to obscure the mm that severely so that we question whether it has one at all or not. BUT until someone holds it in hand and/or finds other images, mostly we can just speculate.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay seems to be hit and miss on sales tax collections. I just had a $1000+ sale to California and sales tax was not collected.

On another note, ebay collected sales tax on me here in Ga. out of the blue when they hadn't in the past. Couple a phone calls and a few weeks later ebay paid me back the sales tax to my PayPal account!

@Connecticoin said:

@oreville said:

Especially when ebay gets it wrong. I have been fighting with them to get rid of Conn sales tax on coins, which are tax exempt. Ebay (lazily and stupidly) claim they cannot exempt the coin category because it contains "bullion" items.

Also, I thought all coins over $1,000 were tax exempt in California, so is Ebay screwing that up too?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

eBay is in the best position financially and technically to act as a collection agent as opposed to individual sellers doing it. The clever way around it is to have a trusted person in a no sales tax on coins state buy it for you. 7% on that TD is about $271 hardly chump change to some of us. eBay wins and the buyer's state loses out. Also it's not necessary for eBay or any vendor to have a nexus in the state in order to collect the ST. If the buyer's shipping address is in a state that levies ST then ST is collected for that state.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 8:37AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    imho, the scuff on the slab isn't significant enough to obscure the mm that severely so that we question whether it has one at all or not. BUT until someone holds it in hand and/or finds other images, mostly we can just speculate.

NOW imho, it is best i keep my opinion to myself. LOL - i would have bet money the scuff wasn't enough. alas it would be a bet i would be destined to lose!
    @jesbroken tyvm for doing the due diligence.

@tradedollarnut : I contacted Danielle at TECC and she said it was indeed scuffs and offered an additional photo >at an angle which indeed shows the "S" mint mark.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

NOW imho, it is best i keep my opinion to myself. LOL - i would have bet money the scuff wasn't enough. alas it would be a bet i would be destined to lose!
    @jesbroken tyvm for doing the due diligence.

@tradedollarnut : I contacted Danielle at TECC and she said it was indeed scuffs and offered an additional photo >at an angle which indeed shows the "S" mint mark.

WOW. What a difference an angle makes. Comments on pictures are always "iffy" because of this.

It's a given that we have no other choice but to judge what is put in front of us.

Pette

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Single largest problem with Ebay is the seller's photo's, other than management decisions. lol
    The seller either can't take photo's, doesn't know what to look for to begin with, or is hiding something, usually the latter. Some good sellers are so bad, I have bought many coins with terrible photo's that are great coins because I have a feel for the true look of the coin, then sometimes I'm fooled and it is what it is.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Ebay seems to be hit and miss on sales tax collections. I just had a $1000+ sale to California and sales tax was not collected.

On another note, ebay collected sales tax on me here in Ga. out of the blue when they hadn't in the past. Couple a phone calls and a few weeks later ebay paid me back the sales tax to my PayPal account!

@Connecticoin said:

@oreville said:

1) The sales tax over/under limit in California is $1500.

2) Ebay will not collect sales tax if the buyer is registered with them as an authorized re-seller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file