Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Which safe to buy

I am looking to buy a safe to store notes at my home. My house is sprinkled. What characteristics should I be looking for to store graded notes, hours and degrees? Is 60 minutes at 1200 degrees sufficient or should I be looking for something higher?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 7:35AM

I would only be concerned about raw notes and the old PCGS-C holders that were open to the atmosphere,
    not concerned with fully encapulated notes as they're watertght.

Tip to save costs: The fire ratng is usually dependent on an insulator like gypsum that lnes the walls.
    An inexpensive DIY is to take a low/non rated unit and heat proof it with scoreNsnap sheet rock ($15 for a 4'x8').
    This may allow you to put more money in the purchase of a bigger unit without the accessory cost that manufacturers may upcharge you for.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fossmin so safes come in 2 flavors, records safes that are rated to protect flammable documents against heat for so many minutes and money safes that are rated against failure to a tool attack for so many minutes. And location- installation to prevent the whole thing from being hauled off. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 8:16AM

Look for the thread on the coin forum (by crazyhounddog) about the dealer in Paradise, California who went through the wildfires a couple of years ago. He had two safes and one protected the contents fairly well while the other did not.

What I remember is the fact that the fire burned hotter than anyone expected for a residential fire (because it was much more than that), so you may want to consider the possibility of wildfires , if you live in an area that has them.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.