Home Sports Talk
Options

Two golfers hit shots that land on top of alligators

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is certainly an interesting story.

The rules of golf state that players must hit the ball where it lies, but what if the ball comes to rest on top of an alligator?

Two golfers on two different golf courses on two different days had this exact thing happen to them during play recently.

David Ksieniewicz was golfing at Spring Island Club in Okatie, S.C., last week when his shot wound up atop an alligator lying near a pond, as first reported by The Island Packer.

His daughter Kristine Robinson wrote on Facebook that it was the “Shot of the day!,” adding that “Under rule 16.1, which addresses ‘abnormal course conditions,’ the player is ‘entitled to take relief with no penalty.’ Which is good, because we determined that my dad, David Ksieniewicz, should PROBABLY consider this dangerously shanked shot UNPLAYABLE & start over.”

1 Tip To Sink Putt After Putt | Saves…
AdPyramid Putters | Shop Now
It is true that David was allowed to take relief with no penalty, but the rule for alligators is actually covered in Rule 16 of the U.S. Golf Association rule book, which states: “Rule 16 covers when and how the player may take free relief by playing a ball from a different place, such as when there is interference by an abnormal course condition or a dangerous animal condition [italics added].”

After seeing the story about David Ksieniewicz, Ron Ritchie came forward to reveal that the same thing happened to him last month while playing Shipyard Golf Course on Hilton Head Island, according to The State in Columbia, S.C.

Ritchie’s chip shot went over the green and rolled up an alligator’s arm, coming to rest atop the alligator, which was also lying near a pond.

“We were rolling on the ground laughing,” Ritchie told The State.

The alligators in both cases never moved.

The free drop apparently didn’t help Ritchie, however.

“I lost 25 feet on my shot because I wanted to get away from the 12-foot alligator,” he told The State.

Comments

• Options

The Julian Edelman story is the biggest story in the world of sports today. Slow day in sports news.

• Options

Yep, this thread should be sinking to the bottom in....

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this story. Thanks DoubleD

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I like this story. Thanks DoubleD

Oh, thank you. It was either this or a story about how Kevin Durant is upset with Shannon Sharpe because Shannon misquoted him. I opted to go with the alligators.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about a golf course "hazard".

I can see a situation where a bunch of dare devil guys who get drunk, who do dangerous stunts, who take video of them doing dangerous stunts and posting it online triple dog dare a drunk or high member of their crew to go up the alligator with a golf club and hit the golf ball while it sits on the alligator.

That would be must see TV.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Talk about a golf course "hazard".

I can see a situation where a bunch of dare devil guys who get drunk, who do dangerous stunts, who take video of them doing dangerous stunts and posting it online triple dog dare a drunk or high member of their crew to go up the alligator with a golf club and hit the golf ball while it sits on the alligator.

That would be must see TV.

Yes, I would love to see someone play the ball off of the alligator. Entertain us!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once hit a ball through a windmill. Still only made a 2. 😢

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

This guy just went and got his ball, I think this happened in Florida. I've heard that Florida is just littered with gators. Littered with them!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This guy just went and got his ball, I think this happened in Florida. I've heard that Florida is just littered with gators. Littered with them!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. 👀

• Options

I have never encountered an alligator, but I have had an encounter with a Copperhead snake. Now, Copperheads are venomous, and are capable of killing you if you are bitten and don't get to a hospital very quickly. I was camping in Hoffman North Carolina with my dad and his friend back in 2000, I was about 17 at the time, and one afternoon I was messing around with a log that was lying in a area with a lot of brush. I lifted up the log and threw it back, and came face to face with a Copperhead staring right at me. I freaked out, but I had always been told that if you see a snake like that, then don't run or make any sudden movements because it will cause the snake to become frightened or agitated and it might strike. So I stood there very still and slowly backed away, keeping my eyes on the great beast the entire time. When I was far enough away, I took off. I ran back to our tents and told my dad and he said we should leave it alone, but we should move our camp further away so it doesn't wonder into our camp at night looking for food, so we moved our stuff far enough away so it was safe. It was a very frightening experience, but I survived the encounter with the great beast. Here is what a Copperhead looks like and it's venomous fangs.

• Options

@doubledragon I'm happy you are alive and I appreciate the Seinfeld reference.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 1:43PM

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon I'm happy you are alive and I appreciate the Seinfeld reference.

Yes, I'm glad I remembered what my dad told me about staying calm and backing away slowly, otherwise there might not be a Double D on the forum today!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the alligator thought the golf ball was an alligator egg, and tried to protect it.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 4:07PM

And don't screw with squirrels. Oh sure, they look cute, but if you upset them, they turn on you, and they're vicious.

Cute aren't they?

Not so cute anymore!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Our rule here in Florida is if there's water there's a gator. This time of the year they are extra active due to mating season and I've literally had them in my yard, we always check the scene before taking the pups outside! They are rather docile and want nothing to do with you but going up to one to retrieve a golf ball like that is plain insanity.

• Options

Some good advice for those who are not sure...never pet a wild alligator.

Unless you are skilled enough to type on the computer keyboard one handed.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@doubledragon said:

Our rule here in Florida is if there's water there's a gator. This time of the year they are extra active due to mating season and I've literally had them in my yard, we always check the scene before taking the pups outside! They are rather docile and want nothing to do with you but going up to one to retrieve a golf ball like that is plain insanity.

Yes, it actually happened in Florida a while back, an alligator grabbed a man's puppy and took the puppy into the water. The man actually jumped in the water and wrestled the puppy out of the alligators jaws. Here's the video of the footage and story in case anyone missed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RDm8xmmLxiw

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, it actually happened in Florida a while back, an alligator grabbed a man's puppy and took the puppy into the water. The man actually jumped in the water and wrestled the puppy out of the alligators jaws. Here's the video of the footage and story in case anyone missed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RDm8xmmLxiw

Rule of thumb here is NEVER walk your dog hugging along a body of fresh water. A lady lost her life in Davie (suburb west of Ft Lauderdale) a few years back walking her dog along a lake in a park.

• Options

They actually have a tourist attraction in Australia at the Adelaide river, and you can get in a boat and a guide will take you down the river and the guide will hold up sticks with raw meat over the water and huge crocodiles will jump out of the water. These crocodiles have huge jaws.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

For a four dollar Pro V he is going to come out of that looking like Chubbs Peterson. Florida man nominee here.

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:

@doubledragon said:

For a four dollar Pro V he is going to come out of that looking like Chubbs Peterson. Florida man nominee here.

Guessing he assumed approaching from the tail end was safe. Two problems with that assumption. Gators can be lightening quick when they feel threatened, and that tail end can quickly turn to front end displaying a mouthful of sharp teeth. Also a gator's tail is a formidable weapon, and a swift thrash from its tail can do some serious damage to a body part.

Alligators have been around for about 85 million years. They didn't accomplish that survival rate by allowing some mammal standing on two legs to get too close to it.

• Options

In Murrells Inlet South Carolina, an alligator actually was filmed crossing a street, and he did it on the crosswalk!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    In Murrells Inlet South Carolina, an alligator actually was filmed crossing a street, and he did it on the crosswalk!

That's actually a scene from the classic movie, "Gator Eats Murrells Inlet."

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

That's actually a scene from the classic movie, "Gator Eats Murrells Inlet."

He's a very arrogant and bold gator, maybe even a bit cocky. I don't care for his attitude!

• Options

Another crrature you do not want to come into contact with is the Portuguese Man of War. The live in the ocean, and are like Jellyfish except they're much more terrifying. They have venomous tentacles that hang down and if these tentacles touch you, they sting the heck out of you. They are nicknamed "floating misery", and some beaches have warning signs.

If you get caught up in their tentacles, they can do some serious damage.

• Options

This bad boy needs no introduction, it is the Great White Shark. Check out the jaws on this beast!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This bad boy needs no introduction, it is the Great White Shark. Check out the jaws on this beast!

Terrible overbite on that fish. Really needs to see an orthodontist.

• Options

@Doubledragon you have taken this thread into dark, uncharted waters.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 11:23AM

@stevek said:

i'd be willing to bet that shark sucked its thumb thru middle school

i also detect warning signs of periodontitis. i recommend crest pro-health advanced with extra whitening for this carcharodon carcharias, as I would hate for it to lose teeth.............or worse, have a heart attack or stroke

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @Doubledragon you have taken this thread into dark, uncharted waters.

It's too late to turn back now!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

i'd be willing to bet that shark sucked its thumb thru middle school

i also detect warning signs of periodontitis. i recommend crest pro-health advanced with extra whitening for this carcharodon carcharias, as I would hate for it to lose teeth.............or worse, have a heart attack or stroke

I remember you mentioning being the son of a dentist Thus your occasional, always spot-on dental observations make sense. Good stuff!!

• Options

Check out this bad boy, it is the world's most deadliest and venomous snake, the inland taipan. It lives in Australia.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I remember you mentioning being the son of a dentist Thus your occasional, always spot-on dental observations make sense. Good stuff!!

typically, the cache of thoughts and information in my head is completely and utterly useless -- not to mention scary and concerning -- but once in a blue moon i will spit out a utile nugget

• Options

btw as someone who has played golf for almost 4 decades, me and my nifty polygraph test eagerly await any individual who claims to take a full swing at a golf ball and have it come to rest on the back of an alligator

i hope there are some smokejumpers on standby bc the needle is gonna create a forest fire

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

typically, the cache of thoughts and information in my head is completely and utterly useless -- not to mention scary and concerning -- but once in a blue moon i will spit out a utile nugget

In my humble opinion, your nuggets are definitively the opposite of inutile.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

@thisistheshow said:

In my humble opinion, your nuggets are definitively the opposite of inutile.

i appreciate that brother..........i guess i have my moments lol

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 12:47PM

-

• Options

And here all along, i always thought that women were considered the world's most deadliest creatures. B)

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 12:51PM

@stevek said:
    And here all along, i always thought that women were considered the world's most deadliest creatures. B)

No, it's ok Steve, women still are the deadliest creatures. I'd rather face an inland taipan than attempt to change the channel while my wife is watching The Bachelor.

• Options

@stevek said:

-

i'm gonna quote and respond despite you editing it out. i give you mystery LOL.

trust me i've been called that too, many times over. at one point i thought it was my legal name?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

-

i'm gonna quote and respond despite you editing it out. i give you mystery LOL.

trust me i've been called that too, many times over. at one point i thought it was my legal name?

I mistakenly thought the post was addressed to me because it was in my notification file. I just clicked on the notification and replied. After posting, i saw that it wasn't for me, so i deleted it.

And yes, that could be my legal name as well. 🤣

• Options

I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again, possums may look cute, but be careful because they have a temper if you provoke them, and can turn vicious. They have sharp teeth and are dangerous beasts. So if you see one, just remember that.

Adorable right?

Not so adorable anymore!

• Options

On the mountain my uncle lives on in Colorado, we used to see a mountain lion on occasion. One day, we drove down a dirt road on the mountain to visit a neighbor, and there was a mountain lion near a big boulder and it turned and looked at us and I'll never forget it's menacing gaze. If you ever get close enough to make eye contact with one, it is very frightening. They are very menacing looking.

• Options

And when they put there head down and stare at you, it is absolutely terrifying.