Comments

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

PL

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC uses MS. I've seen PCGS use MS and PL. But I've seen 1937 Proof Sets that have the Maundy Coins included. So would they be PR? :/

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    NGC uses MS. I've seen PCGS use MS and PL. But I've seen 1937 Proof Sets that have the Maundy Coins included. So would they be PR? :/

If they were included in the 1937 Proof Sets (I have one) I believe they would be considered proofs. All the others in the set are definitely proofs.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I didn't see any photo or link. Am I missing something?

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    I didn't see any photo or link. Am I missing something?

No. I was just wondering what most collectors think they should be called.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuldFartte said:

@ajaan said:

If they were included in the 1937 Proof Sets (I have one) I believe they would be considered proofs. All the others in the set are definitely proofs.

But the question remains (in my mind at least) are they all of the same quality?

Or are there separate proof specimens (from the proof sets) and MS PL specimens (given to the recipients)?

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@AuldFartte said:

@ajaan said:

But the question remains (in my mind at least) are they all of the same quality?

Or are there separate proof specimens (from the proof sets) and MS PL specimens (given to the recipients)?

Good point. I wish I had the answer. Perhaps some of our UK members can chime in?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to be the case. Not all sets given out had PL surfaces, as some in the Victorian era especially were clearly of satin finish, although in the case of the 3d much better struck than ordinary currency specimens. Many 3d pieces of the 1840s through 1860s just sold at BSJ of London were likely of Maundy origin....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are proofs out there, but not for all years. A good resource is http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/maund.html

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I bought an 1882 proof Maundy set at a major Spink auction, so they are available even in "nonstandard" years - 1839, 1902 (matte) and the mentioned 1937 are standard years.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.