Home Sports Talk
Options

Pats release Edelman

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dayum

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Julian. What’s up ? It’s Gronk. The weather here in Tampa is great.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I turn my back for one minute and miss a major news story. Damn doppelgangers!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predicted long ago that Julian Edelman would complete the trifecta in Tampa. It appears with his release that Brady and Gronk will influence the powers to be to bring Edelman into the mix. Look for his signing in the not too distant future.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He says he's retiring. Let's see

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard the knee is not repairable. would be unable to play a full season. Jules body has taken enough punishment. the man was tough. great career, time to retire. I believe he retires second all-time in playoff receptions. not too bad for a college QB drafted in the 7th round.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick Gosselin is on the radio a lot here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Very interesting and knowledgeable guy. He is the one who suggested Belichick look into Edelman.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

For never having played at the WR position in college he ended up having one hell of a 12yr NFL career. Numerous playoff/season/team statistical records, three SB Rings, a SB MVP trophy and most impressive of all,spending some time as Adriana Lima’s plaything >:)

He’ll go down as one of the most underrated WRs to ever play and I don’t think he has nearly enough Regular season stats to get into the NFL HOF but if you need one guy to make a play in a big moment,he would be my pick. If his knee is still in issue then I hope it heals up with rest and 6-8 months from now I’m sure I won’t be the only one wondering if he comes out of retirement to spend time with his bae,Tommy. If the band does get back together then find a way to get Amendola there too. B)

Maybe a fellow Pats fan can answer this, is there a waiting period after retiring before Kraft & the fans can vote him into the Team HOF?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd who cares if there is a waiting period, right after his press conference they should hang a #11 jersey right on the wall of Gillette

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2021 2:28AM

PatriotsLegend

• Options

they should hang a picture of the catch against Atlanta in the SB right next to his number 11.

• Options

it really is amazing the Patriots, between welker and edelman, have had a stud slot receiver every season since 2007.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

pound-for-pound one of the toughest guys to ever play. I hope he enjoys a long life and happy retirement, he's certainly earned that much as he sinks into the sunset.

• Options

Who is more popular in New England ?

Gronk, Edelman, or Brady ?

My guess is that Brady and Gronk jerseys sold out the most, with Edelman a distant third.
    Still a huge part of their success. An incredible receiver and just a joy to watch compete.

• Options

In my part of Maine, it would go
    1. Brady
    2. Gronk
    3. Edelman

I am sure that mileage could vary. My sister in laws entire family in NH are die-hard Edelman fans.

• Options

However you rank him, we all know what he did. He is legendary. Work ethic, toughness unparalleled. Put the team first. Sacrificed his body for the team and the fans.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    However you rank him, we all know what he did. He is legendary. Work ethic, toughness unparalleled. Put the team first. Sacrificed his body for the team and the fans.

Larry Bird in pads.

• Options

i love that comparison

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @erikthredd who cares if there is a waiting period, right after his press conference they should hang a #11 jersey right on the wall of Gillette

I’m definitely with you on that one,I just wasn’t sure if they had a 5yr type wait before eligibility like the NFL HOF has. I also think that they should retire Brady’s #12 when the Bucs come to NE this season.

• Options

This is just a reminder that Julian Edelman has thrown more playoff touchdown passes than Carsen Wentz. :D;):D

• Options

what a great play!! I miss Danny too

• Options

I heard on the radio that Edelman retired with a perfect passer rating as well.

• Options

Edelman retiring frees up roughly 2.7m in cap space and this is what their WR core looks like today:
    Nelson Agholor
    N’Keal Harry
    Kristian Wilkerson
    Devin Smith
    Kendrick Bourne
    Jakobi Meyers
    Isaiah Zuber
    Gunner Olszewski
    Matthew Slater

Current FAs:
    Damiere Byrd
    Quincy Adeboyejo

• Options

plus the two new TE's

• Options

compared to last year, i am very happy where they are at

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heckuva football player.

Edelman doesn't have the lusty lifetime stats of other Hall of Famers, but in my opinion, particularly based on his phenomenal post season performances, he's got a shot at the Hall of Fame.

I think he deserves it.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    compared to last year, i am very happy where they are at

I wouldn’t mind seeing BB draft another WR somewhat early, especially if they draft a QB without moving up and having to give up additional picks. Outside of Slater and the two FAs, five players from that list aren’t signed past this season not to mention it looks like Harry is on the trade block.

• Options

I would personally love to see them move up and get one of the big 5 QBs this year in the draft. after this one year with Cam, we don't have our future QB on the roster. it seems the staff have given up on Stidham. maybe there was nothing there to begin with.

• Options

I would too but that might be tough. From most of the mocks that I’ve read,the first four picks are likely QBs then the fifth is usually taken soon after and I think the price to move up would be too steep for BB. He’d either have to give up most of his picks from this draft or include a future first(s) which IIRC he’s never done in NE. Going after Garoppolo or Bridgewater seems like a cheaper alternative,picks-wise.

• Options

I agree that BB will not trade up to get a QB. It sure would be nice to have a young QB of the future instead of a retread

• Options
    edited April 13, 2021 11:38AM

@stevek said:
    Heckuva football player.

Edelman doesn't have the lusty lifetime stats of other Hall of Famers, but in my opinion, particularly based on his phenomenal post season performances, he's got a shot at the Hall of Fame.

I think he deserves it.

He doesn't have the stats to get in, but I could see them putting him in many,many years from now because, as they say , "you couldn't tell the story of the NFL without him".

Edit to add: that line about telling the story of the league is actually something I've heard discussed by Rick Gosselin, the man I mentioned above as recommending Edelman to Belichick. And it's true. To tell the story of the NFL, you have to include Edelman. I'll give an example. In my opinion , to tell the story of the NFL you have to tell the story of Tom Brady. But let's say you even take that out. You have to tell the story of 28-3, in my opinion. And to tell that story, you have to tell the story of Edelman, which as of today also includes him having the second most receptions in playoff history. I understand he doesn't make it under the usual circumstances, but he just might get that call when he is a much older man.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:
    Heckuva football player.

I think he deserves it.

He doesn't have the stats to get in, but I could see them putting him in many,many years from now because, as they say , "you couldn't tell the story of the NFL without him".

Edit to add: that line about telling the story of the league is actually something I've heard discussed by Rick Gosselin, the man I mentioned above as recommending Edelman to Belichick. And it's true. To tell the story of the NFL, you have to include Edelman. I'll give an example. In my opinion , to tell the story of the NFL you have to tell the story of Tom Brady. But let's say you even take that out. You have to tell the story of 28-3, in my opinion. And to tell that story, you have to tell the story of Edelman, which as of today also includes him having the second most receptions in playoff history. I understand he doesn't make it under the usual circumstances, but he just might get that call when he is a much older man.

I hear ya and don't disagree at all.

However in my view, I'd rather have a player such as Edelman in the Hall of Fame, than some average player who just built up a lot of stats from playing many years, and didn't accomplish all that much other than a lot of stats.

Yea sure there's value in being durable enough and good enough to get paid on a professional level for many years and build up stats during that time, and that's to be respected. But to me, that shouldn't mean automatic Hall of Fame induction.

• Options

I would much rather have an edelman type in the hall of fame than someone like frank gore or eddie george or other stat accumulators