Home Sports Talk
Options

The mathematics of poker

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each of the 2,598,960 possible hands of poker is equally likely when dealt 5 cards from a standard poker deck. Because of this, one can use probability by outcomes to compute the probabilities of each classification of poker hand. The binomial coefficient can be used to calculate certain combinations of cards.

A useful shortcut to calculating the odds of completing a hand from a number of outs is the “rule of four and two”. The player counts the number of cards that will improve his hand, and then multiplies that number by four to calculate his probability of catching that card on either the turn or the river.

Was wondering if anyone else uses the "rule of four and two" and how it works for them ?

Also, can anyone add any rules to follow besides these.............................................

Raise to the same size with all hands you play.
Play many hands postflop with the same actions.
Play some weak and strong hands in the same way.
Do not show your opponents your cards at any point you do not have to.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought there would be more possible hands than what you posted.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each of the 2,598,960 possible hands of poker is equally likely when dealt 5 cards from a standard poker deck

wouldn't the number of possible hands be different depending on the number of players??

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number of possible hands also depends on how many cards are dealt. Texas/Omaha/Stud/etc all different numbers.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know all I need to know about probabilities and #’s in poker. Played hold em for 30 years. My rule is bet with the best hand and fold when you’re beat.
    That’s handy advice right there. 😉

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.