Home Sports Talk
Options

Who do you want in the batters box?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's game 7 of the World Series, runner on 3rd, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, game tied. Who do you want in the batters box, any player in history?

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Gwynn

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene Tenace

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds on steroids

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being that you said World Series, I'd have to go with either Bob Eucker or Mike Schmidt.

Probably Schmidt because he had a .690 OPS in the postseason, whereas Eucker had a lifetime .581 OPS.
    Not too far apart, so it would be a tough choice.

With Schmidt's 4 home runs and 27 strikeouts in the postseason, he makes even Mike Trout look good.

I mean, Schmidt's On Base Percentage is considerably lower than Brett's batting average in the postseason.

Schmidt's postseason OBP is .304 and George Brett's batting average in the postseason is .337

So come to think of it, I'd go with

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gates Brown coming off the bench

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Barry Bonds on steroids

You mean you wouldn't want skinny ?

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 4:17PM

This post never happened, you hear me, it never happened!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'll go with Ty Cobb, .366 lifetime batting avg. I'll take him to get that hit.

Maybe a little consistency would lend to more credibility.

Cobb in the postseason: .262/.314/.354, lol. Which is it? Is Schmidt bad because of a couple slumps, or are both Schmidt and Cobb bad because a couple of slumps? Can't have it both ways. ;)

I do have to ask, which meaningless small sample size are you going by?? In that situation in the World Series you are describing, George Brett has a .250 batting average with RISP.

In the LCS George Brett has a .222 batting average with RISP.

Nice try....lol.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 1:30PM

@Goldenage said:
    Being that you said World Series, I'd have to go with either Bob Eucker or Mike Schmidt.

Probably Schmidt because he had a .690 OPS in the postseason, whereas Eucker had a lifetime .581 OPS.

With Schmidt's 4 home runs and 27 strikeouts in the postseason, he makes even Mike Trout look good.

I mean, Schmidt's On Base Percentage is considerably lower than Brett's batting average in the postseason.

Schmidt's postseason OBP is .304 and George Brett's batting average in the postseason is .337

Sorry DoubleDragon, I quoted the wrong guy.

Cobb in the postseason: .262/.314/.354, lol. Which is it? Is Schmidt bad because of a couple slumps, or are both Schmidt and Cobb bad because a couple of slumps? Can't have it both ways. ;)

Can you post again what Bob Uecker's lifetime post season stats??? LOL.

GoldenAge,
    I do have to ask, which meaningless small sample size are you going by?? In that situation in the World Series George Brett has a .250 batting average with RISP.

GoldenAge, does fielding count? If Brett is playing third base in the postseason, maybe just grab any hitter that can bunt and put it toward Brett.

GoldenAge, still waiting for the answer. If Ron Santo is discounted because of Wrigley Field splits, then why are you not discounting George Brett because of his pronounced splits on the astroturf vs grass, in both running and hitting????

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 1:53PM

...in such a minute situation it depends who is pitching and who the on deck batter is.

And in such a specific situation, it is possible that the preferred player could be someone like Bill Buckner over Schmidt...but then if you have Buckner over Schmidt all year your chances of even getting to the World Series gets much smaller.

Remember, the regular season is really the first round of the playoffs....people seem to forget that.

If you are hell bent on keeping their post season performance numbers and think they actually mean something over the thousands of regular season plate appearance, or think they mean they will automatically be repeated in future post season, then Schmidt has a World Series MVP, which means you automatically win the World Series half the time you play in one, lololol ;). Wheras someone like Brett, you only win a World Series if you ride the coattails of Bret Saberhage carrying you to your lone title(in which most of your hits only came in the last game when the game was a blowout).

• Options

....if Randy Johnson is pitching and the on Deck Hitter is is Hank Aaron, you will take Bill Madlock over George Brett in that situation.

These questions don't really mean a whole lot, but posters often use them as some sort of 'proof' to knock a clearly superior player in favor of the inferior player....kind of like when you see someone use it to knock Schmidt and choose the inferior Brett.

In basketball terms, its like asking, "down three with two seconds left, who do you want taking the last shot?"

The answer is going to be any guard ever over Chamberlain and it won't mean anything.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,
    I do have to ask, which meaningless small sample size are you going by?? In that situation in the World Series George Brett has a .250 batting average with RISP.

GoldenAge, does fielding count? If Brett is playing third base in the postseason, maybe just grab any hitter that can bunt and put it toward Brett.

GoldenAge, still waiting for the answer. If Ron Santo is discounted because of Wrigley Field splits, then why are you not discounting George Brett because of his pronounced splits on the astroturf vs grass, in both running and hitting????

I’m going by the postseason performance data against advanced pitching with the better teams in the postseason. Schmidt left us his lifetime postseason data, and it is what it is.

The OP asked who do you want up to bat in a 7th game of a World Series, and based on the performance data Schmidt left us for his lifetime performance in the World Series and postseason, there’s no difference between choosing either Schmidt or Bob Eucker.

Bretts lifetime postseason performance data is vastly superior to Schmidt’s.

Even a 2nd grader could compare their lifetime postseason statistics and come to that conclusion.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I do have to ask, which meaningless small sample size are you going by?? In that situation in the World Series you are describing, George Brett has a .250 batting average with RISP.

Nice try....lol.

After a little research, you're right, Cobb isn't a good choice, screw it, I'll take Lou Gehrig.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlie Hustle.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

if all you need is a single it would be hard to beat either Gwynn or Carew either one of those guys could flick a singe over the infield.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Even a 2nd grader could compare their lifetime postseason statistics and come to that conclusion.

And only a 2nd grader would think that it was important.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,

I’m going by the postseason performance data against advanced pitching with the better teams in the postseason. Schmidt left us his lifetime postseason data, and it is what it is.

The OP asked who do you want up to bat in a 7th game of a World Series, and based on the performance data Schmidt left us for his lifetime performance in the World Series and postseason, there’s no difference between choosing either Schmidt or Bob Eucker.

That is what most second graders would say.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,

Another second grade question. What exactly is Bob Uecker's post season data??? lol. Might want to research a little more.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Nice try....lol.

After a little research, you're right, Cobb isn't a good choice, screw it, I'll take Lou Gehrig.

Lou Gehrig only hit .270 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series in this meaningless criteria, so you may want to throw the dart at another player.

Here, I will throw the dart for both you and GoldenAge. Lenny Dykstra hit .571 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series...which by your guys' method makes Lenny Dykstra the best baseball player the planet has ever seen.

Lenny Dykstra is superior to George Brett by your methods. I guess we can all rest now on who the best ever is.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 6:28PM

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,

Lenny Dykstra hit .571 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series...which by your guys' method makes Lenny Dykstra the best baseball player the planet has ever seen.

Lenny Dykstra is superior to George Brett by your methods. I guess we can all rest now on who the best ever is.

Also, Roberto Hernandez(the Pitcher) has a lifetime .500 batting average, which by your method makes him a better hitter than Babe Ruth.

Terry Forster has a lifetime .397 batting average, so I don't know why you are getting so excited about George Brett in the 1970's, when your method has Forster as a better hitter...and Forster could pitch too, so it puts his defensive value off the charts.

Man, you have some tremendous insight. I never knew Forster was that much of a better player than Brett, thanks for bringing that insight to light.

• Options

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ichiro

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe DiMaggio.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Hank Aaron.... he seemed to perform above average or great in every possible situation. Take away the HRs and he had more than 3000 hits. Just awesome, consistent greatness.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Nice try....lol.

Lou Gehrig only hit .270 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series in this meaningless criteria, so you may want to throw the dart at another player.

Here, I will throw the dart for both you and GoldenAge. Lenny Dykstra hit .571 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series...which by your guys' method makes Lenny Dykstra the best baseball player the planet has ever seen.

In 34 World Series games, Gehrig was .361/.477/.731 and hit 10 home runs and 35 RBI - with 11 multi RBI games. He is on most, if not all, top lists of the greatest World Series hitters of all time. I'll take my chances with Lou.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,

Lenny Dykstra hit .571 with Runners in Scoring Position in the World Series...which by your guys' method makes Lenny Dykstra the best baseball player the planet has ever seen.

Also, Roberto Hernandez(the Pitcher) has a lifetime .500 batting average, which by your method makes him a better hitter than Babe Ruth.

Terry Forster has a lifetime .397 batting average, so I don't know why you are getting so excited about George Brett in the 1970's, when your method has Forster as a better hitter...and Forster could pitch too, so it puts his defensive value off the charts.

Man, you have some tremendous insight. I never knew Forster was that much of a better player than Brett, thanks for bringing that insight to light.

Who ever said I was excited about Brett ? Brett hit .337 in the postseason. A great postseason performer.

Yes, Roberto Hernandez and Terry Forster make Mike Schmidt look like Bob Eucker in the postseason.
    That is a fact.

Tell you what, apply for a managerial job in major league baseball and tell them that part of your philosophy is that
    you'd pitch hit Terry Forster for George Brett in a world series game. Let me know if you get the job.

I never said I'd do it, but based on the way you're thinking in your words above, it looks like you just might.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

GoldenAge,

Another second grade question. What exactly is Bob Uecker's post season data??? lol. Might want to research a little more.

He doesn't have any postseason data. Euckers lifetime regular season OPS is a hundred points below Schmidt's lifetime postseason OPS. I made that clear earlier in another thread. Schmidt in the postseason hits like Eucker in the regular season. Sorry your missed the thread.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 4:36AM

I do have to ask, which meaningless small sample size are you going by?

To you meaningless. To others very significant.
    The major league postseason is loaded with great pressure, high stakes, better pitching, and better defenses.

The answer to the OP's question is simply David Ortiz. In 3 lifetime World Series the guy hit .455 with
    a 1.372 OPS for a 40.7 WPA. I simply do not know if you could find someone with better World Series data
    than David Ortiz.

• Options

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Goldenage said:

And only a 2nd grader would think that it was important.

Says the guy who tells us Marty Brodeur was the greatest goaltender who ever played in the NHL.
    Yeah, we'll listen to your analysis and feedback. It's credible. LOL.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So many good answers, but as a Red Sox fan, this guy came through for me and earned my trust.

A lot of good answers here. Threads like this are great , because they make me want to start looking guys up and watching video, etc.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So many good answers, but as a Red Sox fan, this guy came through for me and earned my trust.

A lot of good answers here. Threads like this are great , because they make me want to start looking guys up and watching video, etc.

Big Papi's On Base Percentage in three World Series is .571
    That is just mind boggling. In a Game 7 you would want a guy who gets on base more than half of his plate appearances.
    Let's see if Mr. Small Package Size (I mean sample size) would want Schmidt up instead of Big Papi.
    Because when it came to small sample size, Big Papi was huge !

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 5:19AM

Here's something swell robinson can serve at his next party being that he's in love with small sample sizes.
    You can get them in small packages and big packages. Whichever floats your boat.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To be honest, I don't follow baseball too much, and this is a learning experience for me. I have been looking up stats and stuff, and it is very fascinating. I've also been poking around the Bay , looking at cards of these players that I may want to purchase. It's pretty fun!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To be honest, I don't follow baseball too much, and this is a learning experience for me. I have been looking up stats and stuff, and it is very fascinating. I've also been poking around the Bay , looking at cards of these players that I may want to purchase. It's pretty fun!

What are your favorite sports besides boxing ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What are your favorite sports besides boxing ?

Besides boxing, I'm mostly a football and college football guy, but I follow the other sports a little bit and I know a little bit about each sports history.

• Options

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@thisistheshow said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Big Papi's On Base Percentage in three World Series is .571
    That is just mind boggling. In a Game 7 you would want a guy who gets on base more than half of his plate appearances.
    Let's see if Mr. Small Package Size (I mean sample size) would want Schmidt up instead of Big Papi.
    Because when it came to small sample size, Big Papi was huge !

You do understand that a small sample size is a bad thing to draw conclusions from? When YOU make those conclusions, those conclusions from your methods make Terry Forster a better hitter than Brett. So why are you saying Forster is a better hitter than Brett and using' Forster's lifetime .397 batting average as your evidence??

You are drawing conclusions off of a small amount of at bats and assume that those will carry forward in the same degree in the next small amount of at bats. I already showed you how in the post season in MLB that those don't carry forward and offered you a chance to test your ability this upcoming post season on picking the over performers and underperformers.

Based on your methodology, and the question at hand, how do you justify taking anyone over Lenny Dykstra and and his .571 average with RISP in the World Series?, and his better overall post season percentages?

If you would take an inferior player like Brett over Schmidt, based on Brett having a couple hot streaks in the ALCS, then that method makes Lenny Dykstra better than Willie Mays since Dykstra dwarfs Willie Mays in Post Season performance. Is Dykstra a better player than Willie Mays?

Dykstra WORLD SERIES OPS 1.124
    Willie Mays WORLD SERIS OPS .589

You are saying Dykstra is better than Willie Mays. That is a board first, so congratulations.

If you are so certain you can pick out hitters who are 'clutch', then why not put your money where your mouth is and lets do that contest this upcoming post season. Will Corey Seager over perform again or no? He certainly didn't do much in the post season previous to 2020, and up to that point you had him pegged as a choker. So will he over perform again or under perform like he did in the past??

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 6:15AM

Lenny Dykstra's World Series performance data provides us with a .424 OBP and a 1.124 OPS.
    Very credible stats. Outstanding to say the least.

Big Papi beats him hands down.

Lenny Dykstra is clearly a better postseason performer than Willie Mays based on both players performance data during the postseason. Any 2nd grader can clearly see that. Willie Mays regular season performance data is better than Lenny Dykstra. Any 3rd grader can see that.

I used to play a lot of stratomatic baseball back in the day. Great game. Babe Ruth was impossible to get out. God his card had very little weaknesses to it. It was either a walk or a home run most of the time with that guy.

If they had only regular season data cards for Mays and Dykstra, then I'm taking Mays into my Stratomatic regular season team. If they have postseason stratomatic baseball data cards, then Mays is on the bench, and Dykstra starts.
    It's as simple as that.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Lenny Dykstra's World Series performance data provides us with a .424 OBP and a 1.124 OPS.

Lenny Dykstra is clearly a better postseason performer than Willie Mays based on both players performance data during the postseason. Any 2nd grader can clearly see that. Willie Mays regular season performance data is better than Lenny Dykstra. Any 3rd grader can see that.

I used to play a lot of stratomatic baseball back in the day. Great game. Babe Ruth was impossible to get out. God his card had very little weaknesses to it. It was either a walk or a home run most of the time with that guy.

If they had only regular season data cards for Mays and Dykstra, then I'm taking Mays into my Stratomatic world series team. If they have postseason stratomatic baseball data cards, then Mays is on the bench, and Dykstra starts.
    It's as simple as that.

Just wanted to be clear that you would indeed take Lenny Dykstra on your team heading into the World Series over Willie Mays. Thanks for clarifying that you would, lolololol.

So next step, who would you take this upcoming post season over another player that has much better regular season stats???

• Options

Predicting the future is impossible in baseball. All we can do is look at performance data based on how well or poor players performed.

We can see that Lenny Dykstra and Big Papi were two of the greatest world series performers ever.

We can also see that Clayton Kershaw is not as good in the postseason as he is during the regular season.

The data is clear. Everyone can see it.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

If they had only regular season data cards for Mays and Dykstra, then I'm taking Mays into my Stratomatic world series team. If they have postseason stratomatic baseball data cards, then Mays is on the bench, and Dykstra starts.
    It's as simple as that.

Just wanted to be clear that you would indeed take Lenny Dykstra on your team heading into the World Series over Willie Mays. Thanks for clarifying that you would, lolololol.

So next step, who would you take this upcoming post season over another player that has much better regular season stats???

Yes, in stratomatic baseball you take the guys with the best stats to try to win the game.

If they only had a World Series edition with only world series data, Lenny Dykstra and David Ortiz would be the
    obvious choice. Your chances of winning greatly increase because their performance data cards give you a greater probability of winning.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

It's as simple as that.

Let me ask you this. Which minor leaguer are you now going to take for the 2030 World Series ? Who is your
    starting pitcher and your catcher for the 2030 World Series game 7 ? See how silly you're becoming ? The OP
    asked which player would you take in a Game 7. We are looking for the best hitter in the clutch who has demonstrated
    great performances.

Which little league baseball player are you taking for the 2035 World Series game 7 ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Predicting the future is impossible in baseball. All we can do is look at performance data based on how well or poor players performed.

We can see that Lenny Dykstra and Big Papi were two of the greatest world series performers ever.

We can also see that Clayton Kershaw is not as good in the postseason as he is during the regular season.

Then why would you take Lenny Dykstra over Willie Mays in the post season if predicting the future is impossible???

• Options

@Goldenage said:

So you are indeed looking at past performance to predict future performance. The problem is, you are using data that isn't strong enough that it will have any meaning predicting future performance. If you believed that data IS strong enough to draw the conclusions you are making, then why not just use last season Post Season data and tell me who will do good this upcoming post season??

We already know you think Lenny Dykstra is better than Willie Mays since you would take him over Mays heading into the World Series. I am glad you clarified that.

I feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny asking those witnesses questions on the stand.

So I asked you, is Terry Forster a better batting average hitter than George Brett?

Terry Forster lifetime .397 batting average.
    George Brett lifetime .305 batting average.
    "
    Your answer is "Yes, Forster is a better batting average hitter than George Brett because that is what the historical record shows. .397 is higher than .305, and any second grader can see that."

Which begs me to ask the final question, do you get your sports philosophies from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Then why would you take Lenny Dykstra over Willie Mays in the post season if predicting the future is impossible???

Because he was a clutch player in the postseason. Dykstra's post season performance data is better than Mays.

The OP's question is asking who would you take in a Game 7 of the World Series. Are you going to take
    a little leaguer playing in Ogden, Utah right now ? Then why ask me about a current player ? We are going to
    look at which players performed the best in the clutch. Aren't we ?

Please answer this. The year is 1987. You have both Schmidt and Brett available to pinch hit in Game 7
    of the World Series. You're the manager. Who would you go to ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

Because he was a clutch player in the postseason. Dykstra's post season performance data is better than Mays.

The OP's question is asking who would you take in a Game 7 of the World Series. Are you going to take
    a little leaguer playing in Ogden, Utah right now ? Then why ask me about a current player ? We are going to
    look at which players performed the best in the clutch. Aren't we ?

Please answer this. The year is 1987. You have both Schmidt and Brett available to pinch hit in Game 7
    of the World Series. You're the manager. Who would you go to ?

So you are indeed looking at past performance to predict future performance. The problem is, you are using data that isn't strong enough that it will have any meaning predicting future performance. If you believed that data IS strong enough to draw the conclusions you are making, then why not just use last season Post Season data and tell me who will do good this upcoming post season??

We already know you think Lenny Dykstra is better than Willie Mays since you would take him over Mays heading into the World Series. I am glad you clarified that.

I feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny asking those witnesses questions on the stand.

So I asked you, is Terry Forster a better batting average hitter than George Brett?

"
    Your answer is "Yes, Forster is a better batting average hitter than George Brett because that is what the historical record shows. .397 is higher than .305, and any second grader can see that."

Which begs me to ask the final question, do you get your sports philosophies from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

"

Are you saying that past performance does not predict future performance ?

Then why do scouts give up hope on a .220 hitter in the minor leagues ?

Will he turn into a .340 hitter if he were in the major leagues according to you ?

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 6:47AM

@Goldenage said:

@Goldenage said:

"

Are you saying that past performance does not predict future performance ?

Then why do scouts give up hope on a .220 hitter in the minor leagues ?

Will he turn into a .340 hitter if he were in the major leagues according to you ?

Past performance DOES predict future performance to a degree....but any performance below MLB level it gets poorer and poorer the further down the chain you go in predicting MLB performance. Any MLB data that doesn't have enough of a sample size gets poorer and poorer at predicting future performance. That's why they don't award batting titles in May............and why anyone with half a brain would NOT take Lenny Dykstra over Willie Mays heading into the World Series just because Dykstra got hot a a couple times.

Just so you know scouts don't care about High School stats. They are looking at the physical abilities of the players. They know that high school stats are basically meaningless when comparing kids across the country that are playing in different leagues.

You already clarified that Dykstra is better than Mays since you would take him over Mays on your World Series roster.

"

• Options

It's silly discussing this with you because of some of the things you are saying are silly.

Try and take a deep breath and try not go to extremes when trying to debate a point.

I did say that Dykstra's postseason performance is better than Willie Mays. Do you find
    that not to be true ?

Then you ask if Terry Forster is a better average hitter than George Brett. If the numbers say he is, then he is.
    We can only go on the data we have. If Forster is better, he is better.

If I buy one lottery ticket and hit the big one for 50 million, but John down the street hit thousands of small lotteries
    for a total of 1 million, who was the better lottery player (or luckier) ? It was me. Even though I got lucky with 1 chance, my winning percentage was better than his, and my winnings were larger than his. Even though he won more lotteries
    than me, I was just better with the chances I had. He was simply not as good, even though he did win a lot. The numbers are the numbers. I can only look at the numbers.