Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Master player set ?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

example: A baseball player plays for 12 years. During that time he has played on 6 different teams, sometimes having been traded mid-season, indicating that he has played once or twice for 2 different teams in one year. The cumulative # of teams is 15 during his MLB active years. When assembling the composition for a Master Player's Set, should these 15 TEAM cards be included/allowed into his Master Set Composition?

I have always felt that a Master Player's Set should only include cards that depict the player clearly in an action or photo type pic, showing his image. To include team cards would not do this, as some 40 other players are squeezed into the shot, and all players in a team card a merely a blur.

Comments

  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

    I am pretty sure the player needs to be depicted on the card and/or listed on the back.

    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The link below covers the subject. When you get to Master Sets, it was recently changed from FEATURED, to 'PICTURED" with regard to team cards. Its semantics, really. Nobody can clearly discern whether or not a certain player is actually pictured on any given team card, its just an assumption. The player could be absent for a number of reasons when the team actually had the team photo taken.

    I lost my challenge with PSA. So, now needing one card to bump back to 100% complete, I may just retire my set. To allow team cards into this particular set means there are a dozen or so other cards that could be added, all team cards.

    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests

  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MCMLVTopps said:
    example: A baseball player plays for 12 years. During that time he has played on 6 different teams, sometimes having been traded mid-season, indicating that he has played once or twice for 2 different teams in one year. The cumulative # of teams is 15 during his MLB active years. When assembling the composition for a Master Player's Set, should these 15 TEAM cards be included/allowed into his Master Set Composition?

    I have always felt that a Master Player's Set should only include cards that depict the player clearly in an action or photo type pic, showing his image. To include team cards would not do this, as some 40 other players are squeezed into the shot, and all players in a team card a merely a blur.

    You have a good point. Unfortunately PSA is not going to investigate when the team card photo was taken and determine if the player in question was on the roster and in the photo.

    I had the 1958 Washington Senators Team card removed from the Harmon Killebrew Master Set. This card has the players names listed on the back and Killebrew was not listed. I believe he was in the Minors.

    There are quite a few problems here. You usually (always?) can't tell for sure who are actually pictured on those cards. I am not sure Topps even used a different photo every year.

    Not sure if you have a specific player in mind, but one compromise would be if he was on the team at the beginning (not sure when the photos were actually taken) of the season, he could be on the card. One Team Card per year is all that would be needed, and only if he was on the team at the beginning of the season.

    Of course I am attempting to use common sense, so that probably won't work.

    Other cards are refused (see photo) even though it is obvious who the player is.

    Other items are not allowed in the Master set for no good reason;

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    After a few back and forths with Cosetta, I was denied my request to eliminate team card pics from master sets.

    My big deal was prima facie proof with PSA's requirement to have a team card added. The verbiage to allow such cards stated that if the player was FEATURED in the pic, and he had his name on the back, the card is a go. Well, Luis Tiant (the player in question), is not FEATURED on any team card, but his name is on the back of the card. FEATURED obviously means your eye goes right to the player's pic, this is not the case in any team card I could find for Tiant. He is mostly just an obscure blur among the 30++ players shown on the card. Team cards are just about impossible to discern any player. AND, its possible that Tiant was absent when the team pic was taken...I challenge anyone to clearly and easily point out where Tiant is...yes, he is very dark, which eliminates most of the players, but you still can't really tell where he is.

    So, Cosetta decided to change the verbiage of FEATURED, to PICTURED. It's been FEATURED forever. What's worse is that I am now lowered to 99.08%, and am compelled to get another card I don't want, need or agree to be forced to get the card to go back to 100%. EVEN WORSE is that he has more than a dozen other team cards, which kinda opens Pandora's box forcing me to chase the rabbit to comply with the rules. The guy who sent in the addition request is NOT collecting the set, as his set rating is like 13%, and has been for several years. Just a bush league move IMO. He could easily add maybe 40 or more cards to the total requirement of 110 cards.

    So, I either suck it up, get maybe the one card, get back to 100%, then retire my set, or spend more time trying to get decent graded team cards, which irks the snot out of me. I may get the one card and call it a day. Took me over 6 years to put the set together and have a few "you will never find" graded cards, like the Venezuelans.

  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree on the team cards. I collect the Yaz master set. He wasn’t on the team in 1960, but that team card is included in the master AND THEN Topps reused the same photo (with no Yaz) in 1961, 62, 63 and 64! All included.

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DBesse27 said:
    I agree on the team cards. I collect the Yaz master set. He wasn’t on the team in 1960, but that team card is included in the master AND THEN Topps reused the same photo (with no Yaz) in 1961, 62, 63 and 64! All included.

    And then some A$$HAT adds the 1966 Venezuela Red Sox Team card into the Master Set :#

  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @clarke442 said:

    @DBesse27 said:
    I agree on the team cards. I collect the Yaz master set. He wasn’t on the team in 1960, but that team card is included in the master AND THEN Topps reused the same photo (with no Yaz) in 1961, 62, 63 and 64! All included.

    And then some A$$HAT adds the 1966 Venezuela Red Sox Team card into the Master Set :#

    At least Yaz is on that card!

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is true

    (By the way . . . I was the A$$HAT)

  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Meanwhile, back to the original post

    I actually like Team Cards.
    I have been collecting them going back to my days as a kid and have a few "Key Card" Registry Sets of them.
    I also agree with the OP's point in "Player" Registry Sets, I am not a big fan of it.

  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am in favor of any card picturing a player being in the "Master" set.

    It's the MASTER set!

    If you don't like it collect the "Basic" set.

    Some of my "best" cards have been removed from the Master set. It's no longer much fun trying to find cards I don't have when they are denied or removed.

    Boo hoo. :'(

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
Sign In or Register to comment.