Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Topps and Bowman year "type sets"?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have idea that might be worth some further thought and discussion. So this is the idea... what do you all think about having a type set for each year that would involve one card from each American and National league team? The rationale in part would be to have a smaller, manageable collection from each year and the collective total for the card collection for 2-3 decades would be likely be the equivalent of owning about 400-700 cards or so. This might encourage some collectors to put a type set together for a year that they see as to challenging to complete. And then, a collection could be more representative as to how baseball cards evolved over time.

Just a thought... and it may be an idea whose time has not come even though there is compelling logic that should make the concept attractive.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I might pick a year and offer a suggestion was to what could define a type set

• A single card from each AL and NL teams - that should be 20 cards
    • A single team card - one AL and NL 2 cards
    • A sample rookie card - one from each league 2 cards
    • One of the pitching leaders from each league 2 cards
    • And one batting leaders from each league 2 cards

So following this example, 1967 type set could feature a total of 28 cards.

I suspect some of you out there may have a better idea- please feel free to share...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 4:06AM

I like it! That's almost exactly what I came up with before I read your second post (lol). For 1967:

20 player cards, one from each team
    Two multi-player non-rookie cards, one from each league (13 to choose from)
    Two multi-player rookie cards, one from each league (42 to choose from)
    Two team cards, one from each league (20 to choose from)
    Four League Leader cards, one pitching and one batting from each league (12 to choose from)
    One World Series card (five to choose from)
    One checklist (seven to choose from)

Total of 32 cards if my Maths is correct. That would be fun!!!

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 5:34AM

This is a great idea for a registry type set.

It could also be adapted for those who would want to collect the type set in ungraded form. In that case and using 9 pocket pages, one could adapt the pattern to fill up the pages by upping the count to 36. Either way, sounds like a fun economical way to collect a "set."