Home Sports Talk
Options

Sports Pet Peeves

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball umps having a different strike zone favoring one team.

That one gets me, because there are so many close pitches in a game.

It seems it's always the fat umps that screw my team.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 is pitch counts in baseball, I'm all for the use of stats/analytics but something has to be said for the manager who has his mind deep into the pulse of a game and bases decisions on what is actually happening real time and not via a stat spit out by a computer generated algorithm.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

1 is pitch counts in baseball, I'm all for the use of stats/analytics but something has to be said for the manager who has his mind deep into the pulse of a game and bases decisions on what is actually happening real time and not via a stat spit out by a computer generated algorithm.

not sure why this came out in all caps?? sorry

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 3:17PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@LandrysFedora said:

It's because you put a number sign before the 1

Edit to add...

If you put a backslash before the number sign, the number sign will appear instead of doing that. To carry that out further , if you want someone to see your backslash, you have to put two backslashes.

\#1

Google "markdown"

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The constant interviewing of head coaches during games. They interview them before the game, at halftime, and after the game. I know Nick Saban better than I know my wife!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@LandrysFedora said:

It's because you put a number sign before the 1

Edit to add...

If you put a backslash before the number sign, the number sign will appear instead of doing that. To carry that out further , if you want someone to see your backslash, you have to put two backslashes.

\#1

Google "markdown"

Thank you

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the little things that slow down at-bats in baseball:

• Guys not being ready to walk to the plate when they're up - more swings, adjust the jock, wipe off the bat, add pine tar, wait for the music or whatever
    • Guys walking to the plate slowly
    • Guys stepping out
    • Guys checking the signs every 3 seconds
    • Pitchers with 3 pitches working through 17 signs because they're afraid to actually throw a pitch
    • And so on

Fights in baseball:

• They should be treated like hockey - if two dudes want to square off, let 'em and then punish 'em.
    • If somebody leaves their position to get into the fight, hammer 'em with a long suspension. 20 games would be the equivalent from hockey, where it's 10 games for leaving the bench.

Pitching changes in baseball taking way too long:

• Managers should be required to signal from the dugout instead of sllllllloooooooooowly walking to the mound to change pitchers
    • Put a time limit on the pitching change itself - no more walking in like you've got a broken leg and then taking 5 minutes to throw your 7 (or is it 9?) warmup pitches. Get moving, Mr. Closer.

Other randoms:

• Umpires that follow after a manager/player/coach to continue an argument
    • Guys who basically stop on shootout attempts in hockey; yeah, the puck is "moving forward" but is 0.25 inches per hour REALLY moving forward?
    • Dudes who signal first downs after making a play in football. Congrats, you caught a 4-yard pass on 2nd down in the 1st quarter. Knock it off.
    • Similarly, anybody who cries for a pass interference penalty. My ideal solution would be you don't get a call if you ask for it, even if one is deserved.
    • In college basketball, the awarding of automatic tournament berths to the winners of conference tournaments instead of the regular season champion. The regular season should count for more than just freaking seeding.
    • Also in college basketball, the winners of the four play-in games getting awarded anything other than a 16-seed. If you're not good enough or lucky enough to make the actual 64-team field, you get a 16-seed.

That's a good list for now :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely cannot stand it when after every missed free throw the shooter has to get a high 5 from every teammate on the floor. good grief, you missed a free throw, you don't deserve a high 5

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think that when a pitching change is made, the reliever should be all warmed up and ready to pitch. he doesn't need 7 warm up pitches to get used to the mound. if he needs to get used to a visiting stadiums mound, do that before the game.

if you get called in to relieve, you better be warmed because that first pitch should be a live one.

i mean, a pinch hitter doesn't get to have 7 batting practice pitches thrown to him before he takes an official at bat.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I also think that when a pitching change is made, the reliever should be all warmed up and ready to pitch. he doesn't need 7 warm up pitches to get used to the mound. if he needs to get used to a visiting stadiums mound, do that before the game.

if you get called in to relieve, you better be warmed because that first pitch should be a live one.

I could live with that. But that's why I like my idea of a clock - if you run into the game, you get more time to warm up. If you stroll, maybe you don't get any pitches at all.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like basketball players who drive to the basket, take 3-4 steps in doing so without dribbling the ball and are not called for travelling.

I also do not like basketball players who "flop" (without significant, or any contact on their bodies from opposing players) in an attempt to get a referee to call a charging call (Google Flopping in basketball to see video of some extreme examples of this).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always have noticed at the start of some baseball games. After the very first out of the game the defense, usually the 3rd baseman, will hold up a finger signifying the very first out to all. The game just started, the players must be reminded of a first out of the game?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 9:47AM

Not exactly a pet peeve, but I do get a kick out of and think that those people who run out on the field to squirt liquid into the football players mouths are beyond ridiculous.