Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2020 proof gold libertads

Anyone collect the gold proofs? Prices are insane. I was able to pick up a 2020 1/4 oz proof from Provident for only a semi-ridiculous premium. The 2020 1/4 oz proof is the lowest ever minted. Thinking about getting it graded, but I don’t know. Looking at EBay sales, this coin is hot, so it would be nice to get a 70.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect the silver but have no interest in the gold. I am not at all sure that there is a substantial body of collectors that are getting these. The silver has gotten crazy and so I guess the gold follows. Do check the 2014 mintages of gold proof as they are similar...
    Beautiful coin, but mintages are not that important IMO on the gold. Still, like the coin...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

2014 mintage for the 1/4 oz proofs was 350. 2020 was the lowest at 250.
    Regarding collector interest, heck if I know, but judging by EBay sales, I’d say it looks promising.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 2:53PM

Demand for the gold is very low, hence the low mintages for 2020. I can't see premiums increasing much over where they already are and in fact, they will probably decrease over time.

My money is on the silver issues, particularly the proofs.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 4:32PM

@pruebas said:
    Demand for the gold is very low, hence the low mintages for 2020. I can't see premiums increasing much over where they already are and in fact, they will probably decrease over time.

My money is on the silver issues, particularly the proofs.

The low mintage for 2020 has nothing to do with demand. It had everything to do with COVID. See Coinworld article about it. Also, see image of mintages since inception below. These have always had low mintages. These coins sold out in seconds.

Regarding premiums, the secondary market is already sustaining sales when priced over 300% of gold spot. Who would expect premiums to increase over that?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have always had low mintages because there is little demand (demand being from the resellers as there is essentially no demand within Mexico).

They are very poor “investments” at the equivalent of $8000 gold.

Buy them only if you want to collect them.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree entirely. They have a long history - the example of 2014 holds as ALL the other denominations are at 250. I am trying to tell you that I have followed Libertads since year 2000. As Pruebas said the demand from COLLECTORS has always been low.
    BTW, you can choose to ignore points that "old hands" such as he or I (or others) might bring up, or you might consider that others may have a firmer grasp than you might think of what is going on with various coin topics.
    You really can learn from these boards if you stay calm and listen.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2021 9:01PM

@pruebas said:
    They have always had low mintages because there is little demand (demand being from the resellers as there is essentially no demand within Mexico).

They are very poor “investments” at the equivalent of $8000 gold.

Buy them only if you want to collect them.

This is a very confusing statement. I’m not a buyer at that price; I’m a seller at that price. If I sell mine tomorrow, I will make $800 at the going rate for a raw coin.
    BTW, I don’t purchase any coins as an investment. I invest in stocks.