Home U.S. Coin Forum

QDB: "Appreciating the Susan B. Anthony dollar (1979 to 1981 and 1999)"

2»

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan Dollars were struck to get the Silver out of the ground in a Political scheme in the bimetallism battle of the late 1800's.

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    If they stop making the $1 and $5 bills the $1 and $5 coins will circulate. :)

That’s what they should do, along with eliminating the nickel and cent.

Bravo!!!! That is the only reason they won't circulate. At one time in the history of U. S. coinage there were 16 different circulating coins. We have 6 now. People must have been a lot smarter than today.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@daltex said:

@Zoins said:
    The SBA was too much like the quarter in size and look.

The UK 1 pound coin is like 2x the thickness of a smaller coin. The UK 2 pound coin circulates a lot as well.

The main reason the dollar coin hasn’t been successful now is regional politics that leads to continued issuance of the paper dollar.

I don't believe this at all. If there is truth to it, why did so many Morgans never circulate? Surely no one wanted paper dollars in the 1870s.

Many Morgans never circulated because many were not meant to circulated but created due to graft, more commonly known as pork today. It was a political gift, with many struck never intended for commerce.

Understood. Nevertheless, if the public was interested in a silver dollar-type coin, don't you think more would have been called out of the vaults?

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anthony's sister went on to fame as an actress in House on Haunted Hill.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I loathe the Susan B Anthony design, I respect QDB immensely. He is a complete numismatist, and his range of knowledge is reflected across the entire spectrum of the hobby.
    That being said, I will pass on this offering

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted above, the 500 Yen note (equivalent to our five dollar bill) has been replaced in Japan by a 500 Yen coin and there are no one dollar equivalent notes in Japan either.

Here are some added points of note (pun intended):

The Japanese 500 Yen note was made from 1951 to 1984.

The Japanese 500 Yen coin was made in 1982 and continues to the present.

In 1994 Japanese 500 Yen notes were withdrawn from circulation.

While 500 Yen notes are not used in commerce today, their value as collectors items exceeds 500 Yen. As one can see from the inclusion of cherry blossoms on the obverse and Mount Fuji on the reverse, it is an aesthetically attractive note:

@1northcoin said:
    As noted above, the 500 Yen note (equivalent to our five dollar bill) has been replaced in Japan by a 500 Yen coin and there are no one dollar equivalent notes in Japan either.

While 500 Yen notes are not used in commerce today, their value as collectors items exceeds 500 Yen. As one can see from the inclusion of cherry blossoms on the obverse and Mount Fuji on the reverse, it is an aesthetically attractive note:

Added for comparison - here are some photos I took of Mount Fuji (and surrounding countryside) from the Shinkansen Bullet Train as we sped by in the recent past:

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Poor Susie. Poor us. The small dollar program has largely been a failure. Why can't the mint figure out that a coin that looks like a quarter, feels like a quarter, spends like a quarter, and competes with George Washington on a bill won't work? It seems pretty obvious to those of us in the real world. Also, why recycle the Apollo 11 Mission patch design from the Ike? Seems like a smaller, cheaper retread. Mrs. Anthony deserved better.

Despite all that, I sorta, kinda like these. They came on the scene when I was a boy, and I remember looking forever to find a 1980 and 1981. Like the Ike, these circulated pretty regularly in the Mountain West. Silly me, the things never really entered circulation like the 1979 so I bought an uncirculated set from the Mint. My first mint purchase, LOL. The coins I got are probably in the MS64/65 range. Nothing special.

I've looked at a bunch of photos of Mrs. Anthony. None of them suggest the enormous Moby Dick forehead featured on the coin.

LOL, Gasparro's rendition of SBA looks like his Ike with a wig.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

My main problem with the SBA as a collectible is that it's so short. Once you get a nice '79-S and '81-S you're about done. I like both type II mint marks as well and especially the '81 since I don't consider it minor and it's uncommon. The near date is desirable especially in nice condition if you like that. The other coins are all easy enough to find in Gem and are not at all pricey.

Fewer of these were saved than most people realize but none are tough except gemmy BU '79-S, '81-S, and the near date. These are overlooked by the hobby, though.

I prefer more complex and extensive sets.

Tempus fugit.

@1northcoin said:

And for fairness, here for comparison of the cherry blossom images on the obverse are some of my photos of Japan's Cherry Blossoms as photographed in the spring of 2019:

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins in my type sets:

That darn 1999 is hard to photograph well. I really need to re-shoot that, but it's frustrating trying to spend a bunch of time capturing a coin that isn't all that pretty to start with.

Next to the Shriver Commem dollar the Suzie buck is the ugliest creation ever to come out of the US mint.

I do like the small dollar and spend as many as I can get. Need to dump paper dollars

If the Federal Government really wanted to circulate the dollar coin the mint could sell them to the banks at a 10% discount . Every bank would be pushing them if they could make a dime on every dollar they circulated. Dollar bills would be gone shortly.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:
    If the Federal Government really wanted to circulate the dollar coin the mint could sell them to the banks at a 10% discount . Every bank would be pushing them if they could make a dime on every dollar they circulated. Dollar bills would be gone shortly.

This would reward banks for misbehavior.

A better way is to just ship them dollar coins and two dollar bills and see if the bankers can figure out how to make change.

Tempus fugit.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like everyone wants the dollar coins to circulate, but no one wants to carry them in their pockets.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said: "In effect that is what Japan did with the 500 yen note which would be most equivalent to our $5 bill. Now when I travel in Japan my pockets are weighed down with heavy coins and it is a real nuisance"

I agree that the 500 yen note is a beautiful work of art and think the cherry blossoms you've posted are great!

But, my experience with the 500 yen coin is just the opposite. It is very similar in size to the SBA and packs almost five times as much value. If I go for a long stroll in Tokyo on a Saturday with 3 - 4 coins in my pocket, I'm covered for miscellaneous expenses for the day (including lunch), and don't even notice the coins.

In terms of transaction value conducted, the 500 yen coin must be by far the world's most successful modern coin.

Here's a comparison of the SBA and a 500 yen coin:

Higashiyama
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate QDB.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:

Great idea, but we don't elect smart thinkers.

@Higashiyama said:
    @1northcoin said: "In effect that is what Japan did with the 500 yen note which would be most equivalent to our $5 bill. Now when I travel in Japan my pockets are weighed down with heavy coins and it is a real nuisance"

I agree that the 500 yen note is a beautiful work of art and think the cherry blossoms you've posted are great!

But, my experience with the 500 yen coin is just the opposite. It is very similar in size to the SBA and packs almost five times as much value. If I go for a long stroll in Tokyo on a Saturday with 3 - 4 coins in my pocket, I'm covered for miscellaneous expenses for the day (including lunch), and don't even notice the coins.

In terms of transaction value conducted, the 500 yen coin must be by far the world's most successful modern coin.

Here's a comparison of the SBA and a 500 yen coin:

Good point and thanks for putting the two side by side for comparison.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file