Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Local news feature about sports card fraud. (Jordan rookie "ghost in the aisle"?)

This was on our local (Wichita, KS) news. I have to say I've never ever heard of the "ghost in the aisle" as a telltale sign of a real Jordan rookie vs a fake one. (Kind of disconcerting that it was a PSA 9 that was shown as an example.)

https://www.kwch.com/2021/04/06/sports-card-fraud-rampant-during-pandemic/

Comments

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I find it interesting that the Jordan they identified as fake was PSA certified.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@canyoubelieveit said:
    I find it interesting that the Jordan they identified as fake was PSA certified.

So PSA cased a fake Jordan rookie?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Reporter isn't an expert on the subject. They're pressured to come up with stories every shift, tough business.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

That is totally insane!! That card even looks bad!!! It is wayyyyyyy too dark!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

https://allvintagecards.com/spotting-a-fake-michael-jordan-rookie-card/

All of my Jordan RCs have the "ghost in the aisle". I had never heard of that before.

Robb

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been in the game for 35 years and have never heard of this "ghost in the aisle"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

fake news either way, right?

• Options

@blurryface said:

Not quite.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 9:45AM

@bobbyw8469 said:

@blurryface said:

Not quite.

well if the card is fake, then it literally is "fake" news. and if it's real, then it's literally a "fake" news story, right? so fake news either way seems to apply.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I know the 100% tell tale way to identify a fake, however, the one in the ebay listing is 100% authentic. I have zero doubts that the "writer" of the story wanted to fill it in and a dealer happened to have told him a tale. Even if you are personally not certain, the "ghost" or whatever on the front isn't even the definitive sign or the only one that matters on a Jordan--it just is a horribly dark picture of a 100% genuine card.

• Options

there's a couple different ways actually from the fleer ribbon off yellows, to the 27.2, to pixelation to the player in front of jordan...

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Auction pic shot with a potato? Certainly a newsworthy call out :D

• Options

@initialD said:
    Auction pic shot with a potato? Certainly a newsworthy call out :D

>

And..Case Closed!

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

where's the Ghost?

• Options

It's in that photo. Is it possible the card was switched out?

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 2:05PM

"i ain't 'fraid of no ghost"

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like Red Grange to me

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heard of "Ghost In The Machine", but this one got by me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbyw8469 said:
    It's in that photo. Is it possible the card was switched out?

That's what I was wondering?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even in a dark picture you would be able to make out some sort of contrast and see the ghosts in the aisle to some extent. Since the flip matches the other one posted it is my opinion that somehow this card was switched out.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 6:22AM

@frankhardy said:
    Even in a dark picture you would be able to make out some sort of contrast and see the ghosts in the aisle to some extent. Since the flip matches the other one posted it is my opinion that somehow this card was switched out.

There is no tampering with the holder in the photo...and more importantly, the Jordan in the photo on ebay is 100% authentic. The front is simply darkened due to poor camera or whichever, but it doesn't change the back of the card--definitive real.

Take a picture of one yourself. You can easily shade the "ghost" out and it has never been a definitive detection point anyway.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 6:43AM

Just in case you still believe it is fake, I darkened the PSA photo for you to share what the ebay lister did.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

My question is, why would you sell a $43,600 card and use a picture taken with a flip phone? Real card, ignorant seller.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 9:53AM

@secretstash said:
    Just in case you still believe it is fake, I darkened the PSA photo for you to share what the ebay lister did.

OK, you win. I am convinced.

That was just my first impression.

Hey, wait a second ....that one on the right looks fake.... It is not even the right proportion!

Shane

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:
    My question is, why would you sell a $43,600 card and use a picture taken with a flip phone? Real card, ignorant seller.

Well, if you believe that all 9s are the same. . . But, then, why use pictures at all?

• Options

@frankhardy said:

@secretstash said:

Hey, wait a second ....that one on the right looks fake.... It is not even the right proportion!

Not sure if this was still a question, but it was done by me when I superimposed the ebay listing on the psa image during resizing too quickly after the color tone change.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@frankhardy said:

@secretstash said:

Not sure if this was still a question, but it was done by me when I superimposed the ebay listing on the psa image during resizing too quickly after the color tone change.

I was just kidding

Shane