Home Q & A Forum

Anybody have experience with CAC with pcgs 2002-2004 coins for gold sticker?

robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I have have a 2002-2004 pcgs ms 65 1926 Buffalo very lustrous with beautiful gold toning and no obvious marks. Would this qualify as a good chance for a gold sticker?

Answers

• robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Or is it mainly old green holder pcgs coins that upgrade to gold

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

what is the pcgs cert number?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

I have been wondering about pursuing CAC stickers and if it is worth it. I collect older U.S type, all of which are in older slabs; like green PCGS and "NGC Fatties". How is this done?

Thanks. Piano1

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2023 9:24AM

@Piano1 said:
    I have been wondering about pursuing CAC stickers and if it is worth it. I collect older U.S type, all of which are in older slabs; like green PCGS and "NGC Fatties". How is this done?

Thanks. Piano1

1. You would find a dealer (or a friendly Collector) who is authorized as a CAC submitter to submit your coins to CAC for their stickering service. At the moment, CAC has suspended their lower tier of $16, but is currently accepting coins at their $35 tier. Shortly they’ll be reopening their lower tier, but presumably at slightly higher pricing, possibly with slightly different terms. My guess is the $35 tier will probably be raised slightly at that time too.
    2. As a generalization, coins with CAC stickers have higher values than coins without stickers in the same grades.
    3. In some situations, those differentials are small (typically on coins with lower values). Sometimes the pricing differentials are larger (typically four figure coins and higher).
    4. Gold coins with CAC stickers tend to have larger price differentials, since CAC is tougher on applying their stickers to gold coins.
    5. In my opinion, many three figure coins have not been submitted to CAC. Conversely, due to larger price differentials for four figure coins between those with CAC stickers vs. those without, in my opinion most four figure coins eligible for a CAC sticker have been submitted. As such, while there are still plenty of exceptions, many of us assume that a four figure coin without a CAC sticker has been submitted and failed. The rationale for that belief is if the extra value for a coin in a particular grade that merits a CAC sticker is several hundred dollars higher, as a seller, why not spend $16 - $35 or so plus shipping to see if your coin merits a sticker! However, there are plenty of exceptions.
    6. Like the grading services, errors are made by CAC too, since these are subjective decisions being made by human beings, and some are borderline calls being made.
    7. CAC stickers are NOT assigned randomly. They will sticker a coin that is deemed by CAC to be an “A” coin or a “B” coin, but not a “C” coin. Hence, a coin with a CAC sticker is deemed to be “solid for the grade”. They will NOT sticker a coin they consider that has “defects”, like some “surface” issues. So if a coin was submitted that failed to sticker, as a buyer you don’t know if it was because the coin is properly graded but is a “C” coin, or because CAC feels there is a “surface” issue that is not acceptable to CAC but is acceptable to the Third Party Grader (PCGS or NGC), or if the coin in CAC’s opinion is indeed overgraded.
    8. Key Point - With CAC stickering, they don’t recognize “+” grades. So if you see a coin graded 65+ with a CAC sticker, that does NOT mean that CAC feels that coin is solid as a 65+. It only means they feel that coin is solid only as a 65. However, the new upcoming CAC Grading service WILL recognize “+” grades assigned by that new grading service.
    9. I have been buying coins for my collection with CAC stickers from the very beginning. In my opinion, the pricing differentials will continue to grow over time between coins that merit stickers than coins that do not, especially since CAC has already announced that at some point in the future (but not longer than 10 years from now, and quite possibly sooner) they will STOP the sticker service for coins in PCGS and NGC holders, and ONLY continue with their new upcoming CAC Grading service!

End of CAC Course 101 (lol).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    $35 tier. Shortly they’ll be reopening their lower tier,

Any idea when? It's been 6 months..

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
    edited February 13, 2023 2:07PM

First they want to start their new CAC GRADING operation, which they now estimate will be late March or in April. They estimate that once things are going smoothly, they'll reopen the lower CAC stickering tier, but presumably at a slightly higher price, likely with adjusted terms. It's also likely the $35 tier will be adjusted slightly upward as well.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Winesteven, thanks SO much for taking your valuable time to provide me with terrific information on CAC. I do have a few early U.S. type pieces that I think might qualify so I will give the option of going to CAC with them a good deal of thought.

Again, thanks!! Piano1

My pleasure.

Steve