Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Enamelled coins......

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2021 4:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Once upon a time...... I had an Enemelled coin collection. All sold now ,but were fun to collect,and not a cheap item to collect.... hope you enjoy....a lost art as yes you still can find enamelled coins ,but turn of the century specimens are prefered, the more colors the higher priced, I had two US gold ones a $2.50 1911 D and a $5 . The 1911 was one of most beautiful one ive ever seen even the Native American face was done in a clear honey / copper toned . The headress had 7 colors 8 total including the face.....this coin today $1500/2k!

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really fabulous group of pieces!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    That is a really fabulous group of pieces!

They are worth taking a look at as it will broaden your numismatic knowlege. Ivan Chick was the go to guy on these....I have his book and we years ago talked many times. Im sure do to his age 10 +/- years ago he most probably has passed. But in Europe ,and the UK these are very much in demand.
    And they are truly a lost art.....there's no one today who can do what you see posted above.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my addition bought as rip!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Here is my addition bought as rip!

Nice one and again one who would command a nice price.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me they are curiosity items at best. The idea of paying $1500 - $2000 for any of them strikes me as absurd ... but then I am seeing many such absurd prices for a variety of things in the current market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I agree and sort of wished now I had kept at least 1 for the collection. But i like bring items as such to the eyes whom never seen.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beauties. I've had this pair of cufflinks for a long time.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 5:06AM

The 2 $5 indian gold were a set of cuff links too. 1 was sold to a artist at Disney's as his shipping addy was their corporate offices. This part of the hobby sometimes falls through the cracks.
    They arent for the every day collector... but everything numismatic can be put into that category,

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple from my archives. Both are 1830 half dollars.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this one up at the GNA show last week. Still has the pin back in tack.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 6:52AM

Nice specimen for sure....very eye appealing. I do understand that these aren't for the every day collector. But do believe like some foods that may not be in your wheelhouse as to their taste and oragins....its nice to have the knowledge that they do exist and have a big place in the world coins history.

I will add thought many not appreciate them the craftmans ship is something you will never ever see again.... tbe modern ones you find are nothing to compare those of the late 1800's into the 1900's. Those craftmen are long gone as well as their craft.