Home Sports Talk
Options

Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2021 2:20PM in Sports Talk

The Jets are receiving a 6th rounder this year, and a 2nd and 4th rounder in 2022.

https://clutchpoints.com/jets-news-sam-darnold-traded-to-panthers/

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how to feel about Darnold joining my cats. He?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this raises an interesting scenario for the Jets: a failed attempt at a franchise QB with Darnold and now the 2nd pick set-up to be used for round two of that choice.

I watched an interesting video the other day at PFT, the talk was about how NFL Teams use positive and negative hype to influence the status of players in the Draft. this year, that talk seems to center around two QB's, Fields and Wilson. I saw enough of Fields during the past two seasons to believe he is pretty good, haven't seen anything from Wilson until about two months ago when he was suddenly hailed as perhaps the best QB from this year's class. it struck me as peculiar but I didn't pay much attention to the "hype" at the time.

fast forward to recent news stories from the past month about Fields not being pro-ready and needing 1-2 years of watching in the NFL. as we've moved closer to the Draft, Fields has fallen and Wilson has moved up as the PFT talked about "hype machine" has moved center stage.

it looks to me like the NY Jets are being "suckered" by the Scouts and PR Departments of some other NFL Teams. I witnessed this with the Cleveland Browns for well over a decade. it'll be interesting to see what the Jets do, but one thing seems clear: they have "bought" the hype and have traded Darnold with the belief that they will get a shot at another franchise QB, almost certainly Zach Wilson. I believe that move will be a failure and in the end the Jets will be resigned to trying again next year as their merry-go-round continues to spin.

in the meantime, Justin Fields will probably replace Garropolo in San Francisco.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give the Jets credit where credit is due. They technically made the right decision to draft Darnold at the time. It just didn't work out.

They of course will draft a QB again in this upcoming draft with their first pick. Perhaps that one may not work out either. But if ya wanna win a Super Bowl, that's what you've got to try to do.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to say it but I think the Jets made out on this Double D. I don’t think Darnold is an upgrade over Teddy

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I hate to say it but I think the Jets made out on this Double D. I don’t think Darnold is an upgrade over Teddy

I've thought about it and I agree, I don't like this. I don't see this as an upgrade at all. It's going to be a long season again, and I can't take much more of this!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I'm hoping there will soon be some tantalizing Darnold threads on the level of past Wentz threads. @doubledragon Can you get one started?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 4:50PM

I think > @keets said:

this raises an interesting scenario for the Jets: a failed attempt at a franchise QB with Darnold and now the 2nd pick set-up to be used for round two of that choice.

I watched an interesting video the other day at PFT, the talk was about how NFL Teams use positive and negative hype to influence the status of players in the Draft. this year, that talk seems to center around two QB's, Fields and Wilson. I saw enough of Fields during the past two seasons to believe he is pretty good, haven't seen anything from Wilson until about two months ago when he was suddenly hailed as perhaps the best QB from this year's class. it struck me as peculiar but I didn't pay much attention to the "hype" at the time.

fast forward to recent news stories from the past month about Fields not being pro-ready and needing 1-2 years of watching in the NFL. as we've moved closer to the Draft, Fields has fallen and Wilson has moved up as the PFT talked about "hype machine" has moved center stage.

it looks to me like the NY Jets are being "suckered" by the Scouts and PR Departments of some other NFL Teams. I witnessed this with the Cleveland Browns for well over a decade. it'll be interesting to see what the Jets do, but one thing seems clear: they have "bought" the hype and have traded Darnold with the belief that they will get a shot at another franchise QB, almost certainly Zach Wilson. I believe that move will be a failure and in the end the Jets will be resigned to trying again next year as their merry-go-round continues to spin.

in the meantime, Justin Fields will probably replace Garropolo in San Francisco.

I'll go on record and say Zack Wilson will be the best QB in this class. His Pro Day was spectacular. Maybe the best ever as a Qb. Doesn't guarantee success but certainly a step in the right direction. We will have to revisit this thread in a few years.

I also don't see SF passing on Trey Lance at QB with the 3rd pick.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I'm hoping there will soon be some tantalizing Darnold threads on the level of past Wentz threads. @doubledragon Can you get one started?

I'm sure there will be a thread or six in the near future, considering because of this bonehead move, I will be needing to vent my frustrations.

• Options

• Options

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I think > @keets said:

I'll go on record and say Zack Wilson will be the best QB in this class. His Pro Day was spectacular. Maybe the best ever as a Qb. Doesn't guarantee success but certainly a step in the right direction. We will have to revisit this thread in a few years.

I also don't see SF passing on Trey Lance at QB with the 3rd pick.

m

And I’m right there with you on this.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there many Ghosts down in Carolina? I hear Darnold is a believer and tends to see them at times...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Are there many Ghosts down in Carolina? I hear Darnold is a believer and tends to see them at times...

I honestly hope the Boogeymen stay away. They were too much talk, in my opinion.

• Options

I think these guys are maybe brothers or cousins!! seems like with their football skills they're related, also, trading one for the other. if I recall correctly, Darnold was hailed as the "savior" when he came out and hos "skills" were off the chart.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Would not be a typical NFL season if the Jets weren't in rebuilding mode.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darnold never had a chance in NY. Worst offensive line in football. L. Bell disaster. Zero wide receivers and a TE with hands of stone. Not to mention the disaster Adam Gase was on top of everything else.
    Darnold is definitely an upgrade over Bridgewater. That’s a $60M disaster and he’ll be cut to save $20M this year.
    My advice? Buy Darnold cards right now.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Sam Darnold will be hard pressed to be successful wherever he plays, the "game" has passed by his style as being essentially a pocket QB.

• Options

@keets said:
    I think these guys are maybe brothers or cousins!! seems like with their football skills they're related, also, trading one for the other. if I recall correctly, Darnold was hailed as the "savior" when he came out and hos "skills" were off the chart.

I dunno know. The last QB that had a Pro Day remotely resembling Zack Wilson's was Josh Allen. He turned out ok and wasn't from a major conference either.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me this is a so what. Will the Panthers win a Super Bowl by getting Darnold? I think not, but you never know. But in the end that is all that matters, odds are small IMO.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    To me this is a so what. Will the Panthers win a Super Bowl by getting Darnold? I think not, but you never know. But in the end that is all that matters, odds are small IMO.

1 in 32 wins a Super Bowl every year. Until Brady retired and gives someone else a chance odds are terrible. Lol.
    I know the ultimate goal is a SB victory but coming from the gutter to a winner is a victory also. For fans and management.
    Bills didn’t win a SB but these last 3 years have brought hope and interest in a dead franchise. Josh Allen is a winner even though he hasn’t won anything yet.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The last QB that had a Pro Day

you realize, as I do, that "pro-day" is mainly hype, as all these work-outs are. I tend to trust what I see on "game-day" and go with that while I also weigh the competition.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@spacehayduke said:

1 in 32 wins a Super Bowl every year. Until Brady retired and gives someone else a chance odds are terrible. Lol.
    I know the ultimate goal is a SB victory but coming from the gutter to a winner is a victory also. For fans and management.
    Bills didn’t win a SB but these last 3 years have brought hope and interest in a dead franchise. Josh Allen is a winner even though he hasn’t won anything yet.

2nd is no better than last. Darnold has had awful stats in this league. Maybe that is because of who was around him, maybe not, but I think a bet against Panthers winning the SB is a sure thing.........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@keets said:
    The last QB that had a Pro Day

you realize, as I do, that "pro-day" is mainly hype, as all these work-outs are. I tend to trust what I see on "game-day" and go with that while I also weigh the competition.

It's also a showcase for arm talent and angles. Some guys can make throws others can't. Wilson put on an exhibition that was really unequalled. I watched it live. You can learn to read defenses. You can't learn arm talent

m

• Options

Mark, we both know that "arm talent" during a scripted work-out and under game conditions are two different things. time will tell.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 12:11AM

@keets said:
    Mark, we both know that "arm talent" during a scripted work-out and under game conditions are two different things. time will tell.

And we both know that if you can't make the throws during this same Pro Day workout you aren't going to be able to make them on Sunday's. He had the best pro day ever. He made throws others can't. He can sling it. Most can't like him. Doesn't guarantee success but it's sure a step in the right direction. Hopefully the Jets do a better job surrounding him with talent then they did with Darnold. They obviously didn't set him up for success.

Pro Day is Money Day. If the Jets want they could still trade out of the #2 spot and get a kings ransom for it. They should at least listen. Yes, Wilson has lots of hype. I kind of see it the same as Simms.

"TV scouts" are going zowie for Zach. NBC Sports' Chris Simms, speaking this week on the "Chris Simms Unbuttoned" podcast, rated Wilson as the No. 1 quarterback in the draft. He put him ahead of Lawrence, claiming it's not even close.

Is it time to pump the brakes on Trevor Lawrence. Ryan Clark argues that Zach Wilson deserves more consideration as the top QB prospect in the 2021 NFL draft.
    "I'm blown away by Zach Wilson," said Simms, a former NFL quarterback. "I feel like I'm back watching almost a Patrick Mahomes again. That's how I feel when I'm watching him. It's Aaron Rodgers-ish."

Al, I always would error on the side of talent and upside then anything else. That's why I like him at #1 or #2. He's no sure thing and neither are those with gaudy career college stats.

m

• Options

@doubledragon
    Time to stock up on your all star QB while the prices are good.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@doubledragon Have you picked up any?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon Have you picked up any?

Nice selections! No, I haven't gotten any yet, I might poke around soon though and see if I can find something I like.