Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1693 and gryphons (mom brag ahead). Post some coins!

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this character

has grown up a bit. Despite the reading material he really isn't into coin collecting (my biggest failure as a mother...), though at one point in middle school he did ask me to buy him a groat as he was reading a book that used them. Naturally, I complied, though it remains in my hands as he is a bit disinterested these days.

Well, he has now grown up and picked his school. My coins may have still had a wee bit of an influence.

A few sellers (Hi @CIVITAS ) know I have a tendency to look for coins with gryphons.

(one of many gryphons :smiley: ) I was about to sell some as part of my downsizing, but now maybe not.

So,
What do 1693 and Gryphons have in common?

Another hint:

Yup. Mom brag. Son was accepted to--and chose--William&Mary. Super proud, and if only he was a coin collector he would have a nice collection to inherit. I guess I will keep those gryphons and maybe get a nicer 1693 some day. And the kiddos can sell the coins later.

Show me your Gryphons or your 1693s! Portraits of William&Mary for bonus points!

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1693 2/3 taler from the Franconian Circle. Also, a William & Mary coronation medal. This was the vendor's photo; much better than mine, but for the life of me, I do not recall him. Daniel Boswell, to give photo credit where credit is due.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

I might 'need' one of those coronation medals!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crowns were not minted in 1693 and I don't have an image to post of my 1693 1/2 Crown

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinMikeCoinMike Posts: 17 ✭✭

Too bad he didn't choose Virginia Tech! I could've indoctrinated him ;)
    I unfortunately do not have any milled British coinage with me at school, but I do have this crusty crown:

Please excuse my fingers and the iPhone pictures.

I also have this 15 shilling paper "coin":

• Options

@CoinMike are you at Tech now? I've been down that way three times in the last two weeks! I'm not a fan of Big Business or Big Government spying on me, but apparently I'm completely okay with Big Education. My car is in one of their transportation studies and I've got a camera pointed at my face while driving on/off cruise control.

Would have loved my kiddo to have gone there by location if nothing else (and it's a fantastic school of course), but he was NOT interested in bigger schools. His top two were University of Richmond, and W&M. Refused to even look at Tech or UVA.

Got to love a crusty crown, and that is a neat note. Nothing ambiguous about the penalty of counterfeiting.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 6:25PM

@Stork,

Congratulations on your son getting into W&M. Very prestigious!!!

Did you know that W&M was one of the original colonial schools, on par with Harvard, Yale and Princeton? Over time, two of those (W&M and RU) original seven or so schools went their separate ways and the balance became the core of the Ivy League.

Here is my only W&M coin, not dated 1693 though. This coin is from the Dr. Jacob Terner collection.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!!!!

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always a great feeling when your child makes a decision on their next step in life. I can commiserate with you about his lack of interest in numismatics. My 3 couldn't care less about coin collecting, although the youngest seems to tolerate it, especially since I gave him the US Basketball HOF Commem (he is in the avatar pic), so there may be hope

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    CoinMikeCoinMike Posts: 17 ✭✭

@Stork said:
    @CoinMike are you at Tech now? I've been down that way three times in the last two weeks! I'm not a fan of Big Business or Big Government spying on me, but apparently I'm completely okay with Big Education. My car is in one of their transportation studies and I've got a camera pointed at my face while driving on/off cruise control.

Would have loved my kiddo to have gone there by location if nothing else (and it's a fantastic school of course), but he was NOT interested in bigger schools. His top two were University of Richmond, and W&M. Refused to even look at Tech or UVA.

Got to love a crusty crown, and that is a neat note. Nothing ambiguous about the penalty of counterfeiting.

Yes I am! I'm an engineering major and nearing the end of the semester currently, and have just two more after that. Wow that is fascinating! I heard that study pays well for a short amount of work and I've been tempted to try it myself.

As long as he's happy that's all that matters! What will he be studying? You should casually take a metal detector with you to W&M when you visit him due to its age alone.

Counterfeiting was no biggie that's for sure

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

1693 Austria 3 Kreuzer, Hall Mint

Missed it by only 4 years with these two ...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Here's the 1693 W&M shilling from my Prime Number Set. Hopefully he finds his interest in coins again in the future.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy, William and Mary is the premier Virginia school! Congrats! I was only able to get into UVA.

• Options

I was hoping you'd post that one!

• Options

@jgenn said:
    Oh boy, William and Mary is the premier Virginia school! Congrats! I was only able to get into UVA.

I did mention Mom brag right :smiley:

Well, UVA is a wee bit tough I would say. The neighbor kid who had the perfect SAT and ACT (and the better than 4.0) managed to be waitlisted at UVA. IIRC he is heading to Duke for some hugely impressive Chinese/US business program.

I was hoping my son would apply to UVA and VATech--both are closer, both are awesome, but he flat out wouldn't and I'm not the sort to make that choice for him. Dang kid grew up. And he is super sensible.

I thought he was might end up a University of Richmond Spider. I much prefer a gryphon! I don't want to collect spider coins. That said, I could have seen him at a smaller liberal arts college and that one was pretty amazing. The price tag though. That's a lot of coin money. Even with my GI Bill transferring to him.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    Congrats! Here's the 1693 W&M shilling from my Prime Number Set. Hopefully he finds his interest in coins again in the future.

Holy cow, that is a nice one! I love that prime number set idea. I mentioned the groat request to him and he reiterated his lack of interest. Despite both a mother and father who like collecting things, neither child seems to have gotten the collecting gene. I will have to pin my hopes on future grandchildren.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 6:47AM

@PBRat said:
    1693 Austria 3 Kreuzer, Hall Mint

Missed it by only 4 years with these two ...

Those are super amazing! I'm going to have to start looking for some excellent W&M portraits. And, you have given me an idea...1693 does not have to be limited to one country after all!

And thank you everyone for the coins and the comments!