Home Sports Talk
Options

Larry Fitzgerald expected to retire

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL execs are expecting Larry Fitzgerald to hang up his cleats befire the start of the 2021 season.

It looks like the end is near for Larry Fitzgerald's Hall of Fame-worthy career.

NFL executives around the league expect the Cardinals wide receiver to retire ahead of the 2021 NFL season, according to The Athletic's Mike Sando.

Fitzgerald, who has played his entire 17-year career with the Cardinals, is currently a free agent, and executives believe if he does not sign with another team, he will retire instead of returning to Arizona, per Sando. The Cardinals have a loaded receiving corps that includes DeAndre Hopkins and offseason acquisition A.J. Green, which likely would limit Fitzgerald's playing time.

"It’s going to be an interesting transition for that team from an accountability standpoint as Larry steps aside,” an executive told The Athletic. “Hopkins decides what he wants to do practice-wise, and if Larry had any influence there, that is gone."

The 11-time NFL Pro Bowler has recorded 1,432 receptions for 17,492 yards and 121 touchdowns while averaging 12.2 yard per catch in his career. Only Jerry Rice has more career receiving yards than Larry Fitzgerald.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

a great career for sure

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Yes, he is one of the all time greats. I always enjoyed watching him.

• Options

He had great hands.

• Options

• Options

Toughness.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2021 1:44AM

Blocking.

• Options

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, I was really hoping he would hang around and beat Rice Career receptions record. Great career and never once read anything negative about him which is rare

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Damn, I was really hoping he would hang around and beat Rice Career receptions record. Great career and never once read anything negative about him which is rare

I was hoping he would stay also, great player and great person. Of course, he'll always be the OTHER Fitz, we all know who the REAL Fitz is, but yeah, Larry was great.

• Options

I proclaim that number 11 is a fraud, a fake, an imposter. There is only room for one TRUE Fitz in the NFL and number 11 is not he!

The IMPOSTER Fitz.

The REAL Fitz.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great player and fan favorite, and rightfully so.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

1st ballot hall of famer and a class act. Thanks for the memories Larry.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exudes class. What a pro

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great guy, tremendous player, first ballot lock for the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.