Home Stamps Forum
Options

Childhood collection - anything here?

GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I’m a baseball card guy but taking a swing by the stamps forum as my wife is looking at her childhood collection from the early 1980s. They have been stored in an album at for the last 40 years. They are hinged but seem to be easily removable. They were purchased at stamp fairs in Europe and collected from correspondence. Most stamps are from Europe, but includes stamps from around the world. Attached are a few photos. Is there anything here?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your best bet would be to go to your local library and see if the reference section has a set of the Scott Stamp Catalogs. Most of what you have is likely to be of little value but there is always the chance that one or two good items could be hiding in such a collection. Stamp collecting as a hobby has declined sharply in recent decades so be aware that the prices you see in the catalog will be much higher than what you can actually expect to get for them if you sell.

Don't waste your time on low value items, of which there will be many. The stamp market is flooded with low value material coming in from estates of deceased collectors.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stamps but even back in the day those stamps could be found in a 3 cent bin at stamp stores.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ran across my childhood stamp collection awhile back. There was a stationary store in town that sold bags of stamps when I was a kid. They must have been cheap because they were within an 8 year olds budget. My main takeaway from the collection was that I was really lousy at using glue and placing the stamps squarely in the album. Other than that there was nothing of interest. I threw it in the trash. Memories.