Home Sports Talk
Options

Houston vs. UCLA?

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two upsets? Both underdogs match up well against the faves. Think of what a game between these two would be in NCAA history - Clyde and Hakeem aka Phi Slama Jama, Bill Walton, Lou Alcindor (now Kareem) and dozens of others plus more championships that I can count....... Gonzaga and Baylor? Johnny come lately's, not bringing legacies.

One underdog making it through? More likely, we will see.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The power of Wooden will permeate the building tonight.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

UCLA has a 1% chance at victory tonight. And that’s being overly generous.

• Options

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget about the Big E!!!!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston vs. UCLA. Brings back memories.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2021 11:10AM

Bettor puts $770k on Gonzaga to end UCLA’s Cinderella run in NCAA Tournament. To win $70K.

https://clutchpoints.com/final-four-news-bettor-puts-770k-on-gonzaga-to-end-uclas-cinderella-run-in-ncaa-tournament/

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

Bettor puts $770k on Gonzaga to end UCLA’s Cinderella run in NCAA Tournament. To win $70K.

https://clutchpoints.com/final-four-news-bettor-puts-770k-on-gonzaga-to-end-uclas-cinderella-run-in-ncaa-tournament/

Shhhhh. Please don’t reveal my identity. Smart bet.

• Options

1rst half, Baylor is deestroyin' UH........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could have been UCLA-Houston if they still had the consolation game before the main event.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

As a UCLA fan for over 50 years I couldn't be prouder with this team. Truly a great year... even if they didn't get banner #12.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game. Two really good teams.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:
    As a UCLA fan for over 50 years I couldn't be prouder with this team. Truly a great year... even if they didn't get banner #12.

You should be proud. What an amazing run. How did they lose 10 games????

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I took UCLA and the points 🤷‍♂️

• Options

UCLA, USC, and Oregon all had elite talent based on rankings of their past 5 years of recruiting classes. UH had OK talent (mostly 3 star players and only 1 4 star), Baylor really has not had highly ranked classes but pretty good classes, that speaks well of their coaching. Gonzaga has had pretty good classes but not ever top 10. Again showing coaching can give an edge.

Given what the Pac-12 did in the big dance this year, I am hoping they are given the credit they deserved in rankings next year. UCLA and Oregon in particular should be pretty strong next year, Arizona (I think) is going to be post-season eligible and had also had some strong recruiting classes.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

You should be proud. What an amazing run. How did they lose 10 games????

They play in the Pac-12, the team that was picked to finish last in the Pac-12 this year, made it to the elite 8, Oregon State). Only 2 of UCLA's pre-dance losses were to non Pac-12 teams, one ranked (Ohio State). I think that reveals how they lost 10 games as the Pac-12 is clearly a balanced and tough conference.........

• Options

Amazing how far Johnny Juzang came in the last month. Reminds me a lot of how quickly Russell Westbrook escalated his game and draft status during his second year at UCLA. Actually JJ has escalated in even shorter time. Russ, as of January of that year was seen as a late 2nd round pick and by the time of the draft he was a top 5 pick. JJ was probably on no draft boards before 3 or 4 weeks ago. I have to imagine he is now a lottery pick and, I read an article, would be the first Asian American lottery pick. Amazing he could barely get on the floor for Kentucky before transferring to UCLA.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2021 11:50AM

@larryallen73 said:
    I have to imagine he is now a lottery pick and, I read an article, would be the first Asian American > > lottery pick.

Rui Hachimura already accomplished that in 2019 when he was drafted 9th.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:
    I have to imagine he is now a lottery pick and, I read an article, would be the first Asian American > > lottery pick.

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

I don't know. The article is on NBA.com. I guess they forgot about Rui Hachimura!?

https://nba.com/news/uclas-juzang-could-be-first-asian-american-nba-lottery-pick

• Options

@Tabe
    Maybe Rui is "Asian" but NOT "Asian American"!?

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    @Tabe
    Maybe Rui is "Asian" but NOT "Asian American"!?

Ya know, that could be the distinction they're making.

• Options

Juzang was one of the top 4*s in his class and ranked 33rd overall, looks like he is blossoming and he had the potential. Pac-12 performances will be good for the league in the draft for sure.

Best, SH