Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Misaligned US $1 FRN Error

Look at this cool piece found in an inherited collection. I know some things about coins, but not about currency. It certainly looks real. Is it? What do you call it? Is 'misaligned note" correct terminology? I see hundreds of dollar values on eBay. What is your estimate of value? Thanks -- Paul Richards (CoinQuest.com)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Such a cool error - all three printng passes were offset the exact same amount !

• Options

Ah. It's always GREAT to work with people who know what they are doing! Thank you so much. I guess the original collector (now deceased) might have been fooled by one of those eBay scoundrels. Hope not, but it is certainly possible. I appreciate your rapid and comprehensive answers! -- Paul R.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Still, you could sell it for high dollars on ebay with the right 2 buyers and an enthusiastic ad

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    Still, you could sell it for high dollars on ebay with the right 2 buyers and an enthusiastic ad

Personally and respectfully, I consider this bad for our hobby...

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:

@synchr said:

Personally and respectfully, I consider this bad for our hobby...

I agree with Steve. We have these manufactured - counterfeited- errors in Canada (also produced from sheets). The most common come from the 1960-70 Multicoloured series & some Birds. Typically new collectors are victimized but it isn't just them who buy these & quit collecting shortly after they discover that the so-called "error" is a fake or faux error. Nobody like to be burned when collecting.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Be ware if these fake errors on 2013 series and later, as their uncut sheets no longer start with 999xxxxx.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learned something new on this thread.
    Thanks @mbwizkid

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@luckybucks said:
    Be ware if these fake errors on 2013 series and later, as their uncut sheets no longer start with 999xxxxx.

Good point Bill. Serial number ranges of modern $1 sheets.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice error

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Nice error

Not a real error note. The OP shows an image from a cut banknote sheet (to look as if it is an error). Read 'mbwizkid' & others replies.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Serial_no_8 said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Nice error

Not a real error note. The OP shows an image from a cut banknote sheet (to look as if it is an error). Read 'mbwizkid' & others replies.

reread it my bad