Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

All Resolved!!!! - Classic Head $5 Half Eagle - PCGS AU58, 58+, MS62-64+, With CAC

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited - I just bought an 1835 MS63 PCGS w/CAC! My Basic U.S. Coin Design Set (1792 - Present) is now "complete"!
Ranked #2 All-time! (a LOT behind the uncatchable D.L. Hansen. However, my set, while clearly lower in grade by about 1-1/2 grading points on average, has some things that his doesn't:
1. Every one of my coins eligible for a CAC (44 coins) has one.
2. Of the 44 coins potentially eligible for a "+", 30 of those 44 has a "+".
3. This set has one Flying Eagle Cent and one Indian Head Cent. Each of those two coins has a CAC AND also has the Eagle Eye Photo Seal from Rick Snow!

I need one for my Type Set. In addition to the above, the eye appeal must be nice - nice color, even color, few planchette hits, nice luster and strike.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I don't understand the PCGS MS58, 58+ ?

I hope you find a dozen to choose from... I know your type set is a passion of yours. :)

AKA Pakasmom

@PurpleEcho said:
    I don't understand the PCGS MS58, 58+ ?

I hope you find a dozen to choose from... I know your type set is a passion of yours. :)

Aloha! Thanks for correctly pointing out the confusion in the Subject Line. I have edited it to correctly show AU for the 58 and 58+, with MS applying only to those grades starting with a 6.

I wish I had the opportunity to purchase from among several, but there are not many in this Classic Head Gold Half Eagle category that merit the CAC sticker, and many of those with it are deep in collections. As a result, despite my acceptance of a very wide grade range, it’s not too often one comes on the market. While I look at EVERY auction from DLRC, Great Collections, Heritage, Legends, and StacksBowers, I’m hoping that a collector or dealer with a nice one will see this listing that shows I’ll pay strong money, and then decide to contact me.

Thanks.

Steve

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:55AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

edited May 2, 2021 8:20PM

@edwardjulio - Thanks. I've discussed that $45,000 coin on consignment with Legends. As one does research, you see that this is the THIRD time that coin is being sold in 1-1/2 years. The first time it was sold in a Legend Regency Auction 1-1/2 years ago, it sold for $37,600 including the bp. The second time it sold was only a few months ago, in another Legend auction, and it also sold for $37,600, including the bp. A different coin in this exact same date and grade sold one year ago, also in a Legends auction, for $37,600 including the bp. Legends very recently posted this coin TWICE as a NEWP, and once as a "Coin of the Week", and each of those three times, everyone that saw those promotions, chose to pass. Based on all of the above, what do you think this coin is worth (rhetorical). I offered the consignor, through Legend, a very fair price, but it was rejected.

That consignor bought this coin just a few months ago, changed his mind shortly after receiving the coin, and now wants the buyer to cover his selling expenses that Legend will charge for selling this coin again. I suggested to Legend that if the consignor truly believes it's worth a lot more than $37,600, then have Legend include it in their upcoming Regency Auction. I'll be an active bidder!

To be clear, if Legend owned this coin, I’m convinced that it would already be in my collection. Their pricing is ALWAYS very fair for the quality. I'm in love with Legend and their key personnel! The problem is they're "hand-cuffed" by the terms of the consignor, presumably a good client.

Regardless of the above, I greatly appreciate you bringing this coin to my attention. Having others help me in the "hunt" is truly appreciated!!!!!!

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:55AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

@edwardjulio said:
    I am sure you are aware of the one coming up at Heritage. If not, looks like a nice example. Good Luck and will keep my eyes open.

Glad to hear about your MS61. Congratulations!

Actually, when I looked at the posted lots for Long Beach about a week ago, this lot had not yet been posted, but I see it now. Yes, I like it, and will be bidding. Others seeing this information, PLEASE stay away (lol).

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    @edwardjulio - Thanks. I've discussed that $45,000 coin on consignment with Legends. As one does research, you see that this is the THIRD time that coin is being sold in 1-1/2 years. The first time it was sold in a Legend Regency Auction 1-1/2 years ago, it sold for $37,600 including the bp. The second time it sold was only a few months ago, in another Legend auction, and it also sold for $37,600, including the bp. A different coin in this exact same date and grade sold one year ago, also in a Legends auction, for $37,600 including the bp. Legends very recently posted this coin TWICE as a NEWP, and once as a "Coin of the Week", and each of those three times, everyone that saw those promotions, chose to pass. Based on all of the above, what do you think this coin is worth (rhetorical). I offered the consignor, through Legend, a very fair price, but it was rejected.

That consignor bought this coin just a few months ago, changed his mind shortly after receiving the coin, and now wants the buyer to cover his selling expenses that Legend will charge for selling this coin again. I suggested to Legend that if the consignor truly believes it's worth a lot more than $37,600, then have Legend include it in their upcoming Regency Auction. I'll be an active bidder!

To be clear, if Legend owned this coin, I’m convinced that it would already be in my collection. Their pricing is ALWAYS very fair for the quality. I'm in love with Legend and their key personnel! The problem is they're "hand-cuffed" by the terms of the consignor, presumably a good client.

Regardless of the above, I greatly appreciate you bringing this coin to my attention. Having others help me in the "hunt" is truly appreciated!!!!!!

The coin obviously didn’t upgrade and hence the buyer is now a seller and trying to pick up a few dollars.

• willywilly Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you jumped all over the 1835 MS63 Legend posted today

It's MINE!

Thanks.

Steve

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, nice score! So hard to find nice coins first. I'll be on the lookout for the next one. 8)

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    It's MINE!

Thanks.

Steve

Good job. Great looking coin.