Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Possible Clemente auto

Any chance this is real? It is in an old autograph book with other Pirates. Opinions appreciated.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
My Pirates Collection

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

clemente is an extremely tough one imo.

my first inclination is that one is way too beautiful compared to ones i have or have seen.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

of course there is a chance

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legit. Nice find.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 6:10PM

This one off a PSA/DNA check....

I stink at this kind of stuff but they look close in many aspects - I would have to guess that the person who put that in a scrap book? Got it personally.

Mike
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I have a PSA certified one and I think yours looks good.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thought is real.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Clemente autograph. It is very legible. He sent it to me by mail. I know it's authentic because my name is included...... Best Wishes, etc. Doesn't look anything at all like the autographs shown here.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's legit. You should submit to a 3PA.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I have a Clemente autograph. It is very legible. He sent it to me by mail. I know it's authentic because my name is included...... Best Wishes, etc. Doesn't look anything at all like the autographs shown here.

I'm not saying your autograph is a fake, but having it personalized doesn't make it automatically authentic.

Lots of players had other people sign for them back in the day.

I believe it was Mantle who said the "clubhouse guy" signed his name better than he did.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me. Very nice!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

there have been many articles written about the guy who answered Clemente's fan mail (all done innocently BTW).

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

This card just failed for the second time. The signature is extremely faint.

Best of luck with yours!

• Options

sure, why not:

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input everyone. The auto is not mine. It belongs to the friend who just opened a LCS. I'm pretty optimistic, but what do I know? He is sending it to Beckett because they promised him a 30-day turnaround. I'll let you know what happens.

My Pirates Collection
  • Options

@ArchStanton said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. The auto is not mine. It belongs to the friend who just opened a LCS. I'm pretty optimistic, but what do I know? He is sending it to Beckett because they promised him a 30-day turnaround. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm thinking that one is good

IMF

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

The signed Clemente rookie is just absolutely insane

• Options

Update coming directly.

My Pirates Collection
  • Options

since it's been bumped, does the old tape on stark white paper scream anything?

i don't know. one thing about autos is absorbing everything around it and what it's signed on.

the old tape on new paper seems odd. even for a cut. the paper should have aged around the tape at a very minimum i would think.

• Options

tape even seems to be taken off and reapplied like the back of a venni from an album.

• Options

• Options

Pretty happy with the encapsulation

• Options

I got to check it out before it was sent for authentication. It was in one of those old autograph books a lot of us had in the 70s. There were autos on the pages in the book, and others were signed black and white pictures, like from a game program, that were cut out and taped in the book. The Clemente was one of the pictures taped on a page, and a separate cut auto taped to the same page. Nothing jumped out to me as out of place as far as age. Clemente had a really distinctive signature. I was a bit aghast when I first saw it. It was incredibly cool to say the least. I've seen a ton of autos over the years, especially Pirates, but I had never seen a Clemente outside of a show or a card shop. That's why I took a picture and asked for opinions here.

My Pirates Collection
  • Options

Also, I don't think the tape was pulled from somewhere else and replaced. It looks to me like it is just tape that has been there a long time. I ogled at this thing for a long time.

My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I know someone that has a 1971 world series pirate's baseball signed by Clemente. Told him to have it authorized by psa .

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@wolf2170 said:

A beauty. Unquestionably Clemente's track. It's a later, seated signature, from about the middle of 1972, when his track was at its most florid and beautiful. Here's a Clemente from my collection, signed around the same time period of mid-1972.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    clemente is an extremely tough one imo.

my first inclination is that one is way too beautiful compared to ones i have or have seen.

Most you've seen are either rushed or from early to middle, middle-late years of his career. Standing and seated, the differences can also be starkly contrasted with Clemente's handwriting. The later signatures, 1971, 1972, he took more time with. Put more penmanship into. Many of his tracks from this period are very artistic.

• Options

That’s awesome on the card !!!

• Options

Nicest thing is that the ink just glistens. Unlike many signed portraits that are just begging to be displayed, thus exposed to various light and heat sources, as well as possibly to the elements, this one was stored in a desk in a glassine envelope since near the time it was signed. I've also got a 1969T card that was signed at that time.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

Here is mine from the 1972 yearbook...I might cut it and send it in...

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

I wouldn't cut it. Can you send it as is?

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

No> @Mo_Mentum said:

@lawyer05 said:

No..its in a magazine...I suppose I can do a jumbo...and fold the magazine hmmmm maybe not .lol.....

• Options

Here's my 1969T signed at the same time as the 1964T Giants.

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    No> @Mo_Mentum said:

@lawyer05 said:

No..its in a magazine...I suppose I can do a jumbo...and fold the magazine hmmmm maybe not .lol.....

I wouldn't imagine that there'd be a 1973 yearbook with a Clemente signature within, unless it was printed, circulated and he came across one and signed it prior to 1973. Sometimes a publisher does that. They'll release, say, a yearly periodical like a 1975 Annual at the tail end of 1974; but I don't think that's the case here. Thus, this yearbook containing a Clemente signature may be of greater rarity than you might even expect. The 1972 may likely be the last yearbook that he'd have had the opportunity to sign, from a chronological standpoint, and although I never made a concerted effort to find a Clemente signed 1972 yearbook, I don't recall ever seeing one that was signed by Clemente. So I would seriously consider this prior to removing that signature from this book!