Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Weekend Find- 85 Topps Hogan's

Stumbled across a large collection that I bought at a yardsale over the weekend if you can believe that.

Among other things, In it were these two Hogan RC's. I haven't handled this issue before.
I've taken both out to examine and we are looking at right on the 7/8 borderline for both. Actually quite nice cards and i wouldn't be surprised if the Blue were to pull an 8.

That being said I'm a half hour from Hogan's Clearwater Beach shop and I can drop them off to get signed for $75 apiece. Wondering if that would be a better route before getting them graded/slabbed, or just shoot them off unsigned in my next sub?

Calling @Dpeck100

thanks
John

Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options

Are you planning to keep them or sell? If I were going to keep them, I'd probably get them signed just because I was a HUGE Hulk Hogan fan as a kid.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed, sealed, and delivered. IMO there is nothing better than a card that the athlete handled and signed. He leaves his
    mark on your card forever. I just think it's kind of cool.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say get them signed. Both are nice and I think in this grade potential there is greater upside. I have also seen dual items with the grade on the auto do very well so if the signature comes out nice another avenue for value creation. I have heard they are raising the price to $200 on these so confirm with the store before driving.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I say get them signed. Both are nice and I think in this grade potential there is greater upside. I have also seen dual items with the grade on the auto do very well so if the signature comes out nice another avenue for value creation. I have heard they are raising the price to $200 on these so confirm with the store before driving.

Thank you. At $200 a pop, seems less cut and dry as the best avenue. What do you think?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

I can confirm the $200 price. I reached out to Ron at the shop a couple weeks ago and that's what he told me.

• Options

@erba said:

@Dpeck100 said:

I can confirm the $200 price. I reached out to Ron at the shop a couple weeks ago and that's what he told me.

Thank you. I have an email in to Ron as well. Did you go ahead and send in, or no?
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

nothing like running across a good score. even more so by reaching outta the normal comfort zone! that’s the fun part. it’s finds like these that’ll make ya go out explore and will end up being very memorable! whichever route ya take, those are some killer finds. especially these days!

congrats!

• Options

Nice pickups

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

@erba said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Thank you. I have an email in to Ron as well. Did you go ahead and send in, or no?
    John

I didn't. Thankfully I sent Topps #1 card in last year when it was $55 (maybe a little more, I can't remember). I was thinking of picking another up and reached out before I did and found out the price. I also asked about a signed business card for the shop and he never answered that for me which was a bummer.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

maybe if the volume of signature requests drops a ton, they will realize the $200 ask is too high and they will bring it down some?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    nothing like running across a good score. even more so by reaching outta the normal comfort zone! that’s the fun part. it’s finds like these that’ll make ya go out explore and will end up being very memorable! whichever route ya take, those are some killer finds. especially these days!

congrats!

Thanks, I was surprised to find them for sure.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Is the hobby calling this his Rookie card?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

@Ahmanfan said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Thank you. At $200 a pop, seems less cut and dry as the best avenue. What do you think?

I would still get them signed. There is going to be a lot of these cards graded in the coming twelve months and I think signed copies longer term will be much more desirable than NM or NM-MT copies. I also think if you are going to get cards signed these can be perfect grades to use because they exhibit great eye appeal too and will present well. The suggestion of waiting sounds good but I don't see them reversing course on price anytime soon and there is always health risk associated with a professional wrestler in this age range.

• Options

@jackstraw said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Is the hobby calling this his Rookie card?

I put zero stock in the so called rookie card designation in wrestling. Andre The Giant has a paper card from 1972 issued in Japan, a paper card in 73 from the US, hard stock cards from 74 from Japan and numerous other examples but his rookie card using the standard definition is his 1987 Topps.

Hogan has cards from 81, his 1982 Wrestling All Stars and other cards from Japan that year so the Topps is certainly one of his most popular and probably fits the standard definition but the reality is its not his best card and in my view that is what truly matters.