Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer tells a story about watching Tom Brady practice

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Urban Meyer tells a story about seeing Tom Brady practice.

Urban Meyer didn’t have any NFL coaching experience prior to accepting the head coaching job with the Jaguars. However, the three-time national title-winning head coach has spent plenty of time around NFL teams.

The Jaguars’ new head coach told a great story to Peter King about going up to New England to watch the Patriots practice.

Meyer said he came away in awe of Tom Brady and his competitiveness.

“I got to witness Tom Brady first-hand and it was the last day of a mini camp in June. I had been to a few of those and usually people had one foot out the door. They just got done with a very long, seven/eight weeks in the offseason. You’re talking about the greatest quarterback of all time. Mike Vrabel was there. Tedy Bruschi was there. I was blown away.

“The last day of mini-camp, they’re in shorts, helmets, and they’re doing a two-minute drill. And Tom Brady is treating it like it’s the Super Bowl. He goes down and he scores with two seconds left to win that scrimmage. Ran around the field like a child—that’s how competitive he is. I went back immediately to my quarterbacks and shared with them that I just watched the greatest of all time, and the way you’re supposed to practice, the way you’re supposed to provide energy to the rest of your team and the way you lead your team. I was blown away at Tom Brady and the way he performed at practice. And the way I went into the offensive meetings with Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady and Tom Brady’s actually the one who had the clicker in his hand. It was amazing. He was in there running the film. He had the offensive line sitting there, running backs, receivers, and Tom Brady was running the clicker and watching practice film, dissecting the plays with the offense. Think about that for a minute. You can say he throws a great pass. But people that really understand the game—there’s much more than that that makes him the best of all time.”

Meyer is obviously hoping that Trevor Lawrence will be a similar player.

While it’s not official yet, the Jaguars are widely expected to select the former Clemson Tigers star at No. 1 overall in next month’s NFL Draft.

Comments

• Options

Yes, it's another Tom Brady thread, but couldn't it also be considered an Urban Meyer thread? 🤔

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 9:51AM

I was just talking on another thread about Jordan having that kind of fire burning inside about winning and craig44 mentioned that Brady also has it, and that's what this is a prime example of. Brady is like Jordan. I just wonder if Trevor Lawrence will develop this.

• Options

The great ones rule with an iron fist. Slap em' around if you must!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many know and understand that Brady is the real deal, full package, more than just a QB, etc .....

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Many know and understand that Brady is the real deal, full package, more than just a QB, etc .....

And that is what makes him so great. He demands that everyone give everything they got, and pushes them hard. I remember seeing Troy Aikman cussing his teammates out on the sidelines on a documentary about the 90s Cowboys because they weren't giving it everything they had.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Lawrence doesn't cut his hair, he will never be great.

That's my prediction and i'm sticking to it, unless the evidence proves otherwise. B)

• Options

@stevek said:

That's my prediction and i'm sticking to it, unless the evidence proves otherwise. B)

Don't worry, Urban's got this.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you DD for starting another Tommy thread. it had been a few days and I was getting a little jittery...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

What if Lawrence basically tells Meyer to F* off? What's Meyer gonna do? Meyer certainly isn't going to bench or cut Lawrence. If he does, Meyer might be the first NFL head coach who was hired and then fired before coaching a single game. LOL

• Options

this is the type of story we hear about on local Boston talk radio about Brady and his impact on a team. it goes so so so far beyond spinning a great spiral. a player like Brady ( or Jordan, or Bird) builds the culture of a team. they will not accept less than 100%.

it doesn't matter if it is the last few days of training camp or in the playoffs. as you can see with what happened down in Tampa, Leadership is a real thing. you may not be able to quantify it statistically, but it is there for that few, elite players and it is very important.

this is why Brady and some others are worth well over the 5% other posters mentioned in another thread.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    thank you DD for starting another Tommy thread. it had been a few days and I was getting a little jittery...

You're welcome, I was starting to go through Tom Brady withdrawl symptoms!

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

What if Lawrence basically tells Meyer to F* off? What's Meyer gonna do? Meyer certainly isn't going to bench or cut Lawrence. If he does, Meyer might be the first NFL head coach who was hired and then fired before coaching a single game. LOL

You never know what Urban Meyer is going to do. He's crazy Steve, he's insane. Just look at him, he's a very disturbed man, he scares me, who knows what's going in that sick and twisted mind. If I was Trevor Lawrence, I wouldn't go near the man without a bodyguard.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2021 11:48AM

Urban Meyer is a very scary man, he reminds me of Annie Wilkes in the movie "Misery".

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

You never know what Urban Meyer is going to do. He's crazy Steve, he's insane. Just look at him, he's a very disturbed man, he scares me, who knows what's going in that sick and twisted mind. If I was Trevor Lawrence, I wouldn't go near the man without a bodyguard.

I played football grades 7 thru 12. All of the football coaches, including the assistants were insane.

In the school classroom as teachers, they were fine. Nicest people you'd ever want to meet. But on the football field they turned into Mr Hyde. LOL

I was never in the armed forces, but i can imagine that most in the service feel the same way about their drill sergeants. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I played football grades 7 thru 12. All of the football coaches, including the assistants were insane.

In the school classroom as teachers, they were fine. Nicest people you'd ever want to meet. But on the football field they turned into Mr Hyde. LOL

I was never in the armed forces, but i can imagine that most in the service feel the same way about their drill sergeants. LOL

I fear for Trevor Lawrence.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady is the GOAT and it’s not even remotely... Wait a sec I think I’ve typed this before 🤷‍♂️

• Options

It'll be interesting to see what Brady decides to do when he retires from being an NFL quarterback, perhaps gets into coaching....around the year 2050.

• Options

I can't wait to watch the Jaguars play next season. It should be very interesting to see how Trevor Lawrence does and to see if coach Wilkes can succeed in the NFL.

• Options

Everyone remember, get your popcorn ready.

• Options

Lots of NFL players have long hair and I never see any discussion about it here. What's different?

• Options

Remember this fall, it's the blockbuster we've all been waiting for....

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 4:27PM

@thisistheshow said:

this is a pg forum leave his package out of it

• Options

@craig44 said:

speaking of jittery ! I attempted to quit coffee cold turkey last week . I made it 5 days it is no joke :D

• Options

I think he was in that boy band Hanson

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Lots of NFL players have long hair and I never see any discussion about it here. What's different?

Everyone got older and sounds like their Dad now

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@thisistheshow said:

m

my dad never got old he only made 46 not to say he wasn't grumpy though , waking up everyday hungover will do that to ya

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

PRACTICE?......PRACTICE?.........We talkin bout practice?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@thisistheshow said:

m

my dad never got old he only made 46 not to say he wasn't grumpy though , waking up everyday hungover will do that to ya

Sorry to hear that. Sucks

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2021 6:50PM

@bronco2078 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@thisistheshow said:

m

My Dad died at 45, same age I am right now. I was 5. For these last couple of years, that hung over me in a way, as this past birthday approached.

Edit for duplicate word

• Options

Maybe Meyer will decide to grow his hair long?

That would be funny.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Maybe Meyer will decide to grow his hair long?

That would be funny.

That would make for a great @doubledragon thread

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 3:45AM

@thisistheshow said:

I can’t think of any other sure fire first round and highly touted QB prospect ever with long blonde hair. If you can name 1 in the history of the draft I will be impressed. His hair don’t bother me at all but it is an anomaly for a player of his caliber

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I can’t think of any other sure fire first round and highly touted QB prospect ever with long blonde hair. If you can name 1 in the history of the draft I will be impressed. His hair don’t bother me at all but it is an anomaly for a player of his caliber

I see your point. I was actually just talking about players in general.

• Options

For the record, I like Trevor Lawrence, he's a great young man and I hope he succeeds in the NFL. I do think he should cut his hair because he would be a lot more comfortable and not have to worry about getting tackled by the hair. I found this picture of him in his younger days before he had long hair.

• Options

Best hair curlers 2021: get perfect curls and waves with these curling tongs

Which hair curler will give you beautiful bouncy curls that stay all day?

This will be Trevor Lawrence's first commercial campaign

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't remember it being as long or as feminine as Lawrences, but I do seem to recall that Todd Marinovich had quite a lock of hair back then.

• Options

remember when jacob degrom had his long hair with the mets? what about Syndergaard?

even the big unit had long hair back in the day. at least long in the back

• Options

Effeminate long hair simply is not a good look for an NFL quarterback.

Who knows, maybe Lawrence will become a big star, and start a new hairstyle trend? LOL

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't remember it being as long or as feminine as Lawrences, but I do seem to recall that Todd Marinovich had quite a lock of hair back then.

He did have some curls showing in the back of his helmet but really nothing compared to Lawrence

• Options

you are right. i just went back and looked at some pictures. i guess it seemed longer back then because most players hair was kept fairly short.

what a mess Marinovich was.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    you are right. i just went back and looked at some pictures. i guess it seemed longer back then because most players hair was kept fairly short.

what a mess Marinovich was.

Sad story

• Options

Maybe Lawrence's secret plan, you heard it here first, is to sign a fat guaranteed contract with the NFL, then feign an injury on the first day of training camp, and have some corrupt doctor sign a statement that Lawrence can no longer play football. Then Lawrence takes the money, buys some remote desolate island, lives in seclusion, eventually grows his hair down to his knees, and lives happily ever after.

Oh i almost forgot to add: Once a week a hair stylist will fly in by helicopter to style his hair. 🚁