Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another Viking newp

I've been on a bit of a mini spending spree lately with Viking-related issues. Here is my latest:

[lot description and image from CNG when it sold in December 2020]

DENMARK. Hardeknud (Knud III, the Hardy). 1035-1042. AR Penny (18.5mm, 0.73 g). Ribe mint. + ICIIIΘ ΘCII I, schematic bust left, wearing pyramidal helmet and holding trefoil scepter; small cross pattée to left / ·:· I:IIOIIVEVOVPICIIOII, tribrach with dotted borders, central small cross pattée. Cf. Hauberg 49 (for type); cf. Hede I, 36 (same); SCBC 1170. Toned, light pecks. VF.

From the Allan Williams Collection. Ex Coin Galleries (13 February 1991), lot 1680.

This type also circulated on the western side of the North Sea. And, in my opinion, it is far better for the type than a mere VF.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, man, that's another beauty! I agree - better than VF.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuldFartte said:

To be clear, I was talking about a British VF, not a US VF. A British VF typically becomes a US 35-50. I do not have this coin in hand yet, but my guess is that it is a British GVF. Since most of these are in the British "Near VF" grade range, this coin is actually quite nice for the type.

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@AuldFartte said:

To be clear, I was talking about a British VF, not a US VF. A British VF typically becomes a US 35-50. I do not have this coin in hand yet, but my guess is that it is a British GVF. Since most of these are in the British "Near VF" grade range, this coin is actually quite nice for the type.

The English VF is what I was referring to as well. GVF would be correct based on those photos. I use the English grades when talking about medieval or earlier coins, and, of course, English coinage.

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

@AuldFartte, here is the lot description and image from the Spink sale:

Auction: 18012 - The Williams Collection Part II, Anglo-Saxon and Viking Coins
    Lot: 322

(x) Denmark, Harthacnut (1035-1042), Penny, 0.74g, Ribe mint, blundered legends, crude bust left, rev. Tribrach with dotted borders (cf. Hauberg 49; S.1170), slightly creased, very fine, toned, rare

provenance:
    Coin Galleries, February 1991, lot 1680

What do you think now?

• Options

It appears, to me anyway, that both descriptions are heavily taking into account the blundered legends to come up with VF. But doesn't that type usually come with blundered legends? (I'm not real familiar with Viking coinage legend quality though). I'll still stick with GVF for the type. No way am I claiming to be correct. It's just my opinion. Hell, I have been wrong before on many things. But I really like that coin!

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

@AuldFartte said:
    It appears, to me anyway, that both descriptions are heavily taking into account the blundered legends to come up with VF. But doesn't that type usually come with blundered legends? (I'm not real familiar with Viking coinage legend quality though). I'll still stick with GVF for the type. No way am I claiming to be correct. It's just my opinion. Hell, I have been wrong before on many things. But I really like that coin!

I think I will really like this coin too -- once I get it in hand. The seller says it is a (British) EF, but I disagree. I paid the price for it based on how much I think the coin is worth based on how nice I think the coin is.

And, yes, it is true that the coin usually comes gnarly in more ways than one: heavily pecked, blundered legends, poorly executed central devices, lousy flan quality, and obviously exposed to the elements.

Based on the images, this coin seems only to be poorly executed in the legends and the central devices. How much actual wear it has is TBD.

EVP

• Options

@EVillageProwler - Thanks for the clarification. I'm always happy to learn something new! I hope you will post your photos of the coin after you get it in hand.

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

@AuldFartte,

I got the coin in hand, and I think it is superb for the type: lustrous with mildly attractive toning. I give it a conservative Near EF (British grading).

Here is my image; please compare it to the the previous images and one can see what a difference some love and attention towards imaging can bring out the beauty in a coin!

EVP

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    @AuldFartte,

I got the coin in hand, and I think it is superb for the type: lustrous with mildly attractive toning. I give it a conservative Near EF (British grading).

Here is my image; please compare it to the the previous images and one can see what a difference some love and attention towards imaging can bring out the beauty in a coin!

EVP

Oh, WOW! That is incredible! Great photography, @EVillageProwler

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just super cool! And yes, a good image is an amazing thing.

• Options

@AuldFartte said:

Oh, WOW! That is incredible! Great photography

@Stork said:
    That is just super cool! And yes, a good image is an amazing thing.

Thanks.

I can't help but wonder if the coin was enhanced a bit because it looks so different from the Spink image from the Williams sale. (The CNG image is clearly subpar because the coin shows no color when it clearly has color.)

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - your image is a LOT more appealing!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    Wow - your image is a LOT more appealing!

If you ever come to the NYINC, let me know and I can show you this (and others) up close and in person.