Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

George Mikan – 1948 Bowman Ungraded – WWYD?

My wife has been helping declutter her mom’s house. Whilst this has resulted in a cluttering of my house the process has also uncovered 27 1948 Bowman cards (baseball, basketball and football) that have been in a drawer for the last 55 years. My MIL is the original owner, having bought the gum packs in 1948/1949 from a drug store in the Spring Valley area of Washington, D.C., when she was about 11/12 years old. Of the cards, which were lightly handled at the time they were bought, 26 are now over with PSA for grading. The 27th is in a safety deposit box. It’s a George Mikan 1948 Bowman in very good condition. It’s not perfectly centered, but the colors are strong and the corners are as originally cut. My MIL wants to sell it and I’m helping her. My first thought had been to send it to PSA for grading and then either sell it on eBay or consign it to an auction house. Now I’m leaning towards consigning it to an auction house and have them be responsible for grading and selling. Here’s my question: What would you do and why? Also, which auction house would you recommend and why? Also, if I do send to PSA for grading, what is the estimated value? And should I have the card professional photographed prior to sending for grading? My interest is in my wife’s mom clearing the most for her card. The money will help her a lot. Many thanks in advance for sharing your advice and expertise.

Comments