Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBays Counterfeit Policy

Hello, Lately I've been studying how High Card Numbers and Low PSA POP Numbers affect the eBay resale value. Last night eBay removed three of my listings almost as soon as they went live, saying that I violated their Counterfeit Policy. I know that the cards are not fake, because they've been in my possession for the last 50 years. Also, we're not talking about star cards here. Counterfeiting these commons would be like printing dollar bills. Also, I know it can't be that I'm advertising the card as having a high number because it's a fact and I've sold cards stating that attribute before. I'm thinking that they were removed because I used PSA Low POP numbers to show that there are only a few cards out there with high grades. I state in the listing that the card is ungraded and I explain that I'm only using the stat to show the scarcity of the card, just like high numbers.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts and confirmation for the reason the cards might have been removed. Finally, eBay stated that I was unable to re-post these cards. If I no longer use the PSA Low POP stat, I would think reposting shouldn't be a problem. do you?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!
Jim

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Do you have a link to the removed listing by any chance? I don't know if they shred the history when they remove a post.

To me, it seems excessive to declare the post counterfeit. How could they really tell for raw cards without employing experts to manually look at each one? I also don't understand how wording like you say you had would trigger a counterfeit flag...I would assume fraudulent or misleading would be a more accurate claim, if any at all.

Answers

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Former member of eBay's EMR (Enhanced Member Reporting) program so just reading your post makes zero sense as to counterfeit policy violation. Possibly keyword spamming if your selling a raw card and throwing in wording like PSA 8 or 9 or, well, you get it. Also repeated violations can get your account suspended and or banned.

If I saw how the listing was worded I might possibly be able to figure it out.

• Options

Thank you to both of you for the quick response. Here is the pertinent information you requested. Thanks Again!

Here is the title used on one of the three, but the other two are just like this one.

**1971 Topps #662 MIKE HEDLUND KC Royals / HIGH NUMBER / LOW PSA POP / EX-MT+

Here are the disclaimers posted in the description area.

1971 High-numbered and Short Print cards include #644-752. These cards are among the more difficult to find in order to complete a collection, therefore they're sold at a premium.

POP Count is short for the PSA Population Report, which is an online record of all PSA-certified trading cards, tickets, packs, coins and pins in today's marketplace. Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services. It's a good indicator of how many of a certain card may be found in the market place.

You are bidding on the actual card in the photos. Grade is estimated based on industry standards and descriptions. Also, compared with photos of professionally graded cards on eBay and PSA websites

Also, the fact that the card has not been Professionally Graded is included in the Item Specifics

Finally, here is a pic of one of the cards that was removed.

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Maybe the posting was reported? I would guess someone was having a bad day and was annoyed because they didn't agree with your grade opinion. EX-MT is a PSA 6 and I could see someone disagreeing this is a 6.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 9:48AM

I'd drop all the PSA language. Just provide a nice front & back scan and let the buyer decide how PSA might grade.
    Also wise to point out defects not picked up by the scanner.
    Someone probably doesn't agree with your assessment

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing there that I can see even remotely that would get the listing removed under the counterfeit policy but keyword spamming is possible.

If reported for keyword spamming and followed to the absolute wording in the policy being that the card is not graded saying PSA, LOW PSA POP and explaining what PSA and POP are would have (in their eyes) nothing to do with the item for bid/sale. Even cards include #644-752 could get one into trouble.

It's frustrating as I don't read your description as any thing blatant but as a way to educate a buyer who might not understand grading but you didn't get the _educating email _ as they used to call it to do with keyword spamming.

If you want to private message me what they sent you (copy and paste the words/remove your name/ eBay id, etc) I'd like to see their wording of what was sent to you.

Few years ago I could have contacted someone behind the scenes of the EMR program and probably get an answer for you but they no longer respond (program to the best of my knowledge still exists just not for sports cards) so I'm just going off of what I knew during my time in their program.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I would not grade these yourself, you are opening yourself up for returns. If you are going to assign an opinion grade, I would shoot low and deliver high. I would grade this as a 4 if I were listing this.

• Options

Thank you for the advice everyone! It should help a lot. The last thing I want to do is mislead someone. My overall goal is to make a few dollars to supplement my retirement income. I'm disabled so there's not much I can do to achieve that goal in other ways. The cards that I sell have been in my possession since I was a kid in the 1960's, so what ever I get is pretty much pure profit. I do, however, have a competitive nature so I love it when I sell a card for more than I think it's worth.

Thanks Again!
    Jim

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

As I always say, let the cards sell themselves. You don't need to add fluff to a listing to get bids. Anyone bidding on it probably knows what it is, so in a sense don't BS the knowledgeable, Yes, it isn't really BS, but it is more hyperbole than fact.