Home Sports Talk
Options

Alvin Kamara blasts NFL 17 game schedule

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alvin Kamara took to Twitter and isn't happy about the NFL 17 game schedule plan.

Alvin Kamara is unhappy with the NFL's decision to expand the regular season to 17 games.
The NFL schedule was always going to increase to 17 games when the collective bargaining agreement was signed ahead of the 2020 season.

According to multiple media reports, that’s exactly what the league plans to do for the 2021 campaign. While it will be a boon for revenue streams, players don’t seem to be too happy about that possibility.

That includes New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara. He took to social media on Sunday to absolutely blast the new 17-game schedule. "Sh-t dumb as hell," he tweeted.

Obviously, the revenue share aspect of the new CBA took into account the possibility of a 17-game schedule. Even then, players are putting everything on the line on a weekly basis. By the time November rolls around, pretty much every player in the league is banged up to a degree.

For Kamara and his fellow running backs, this is magnified even further. Outside of offensive linemen, they take the brunt of the punishment on a weekly basis. Even though he’s not considered a workhorse in the truest definition of the term, Kamara has touched the ball nearly 1,000 times in his four-year career.

How is the new NFL schedule going to look?
While debate rages behind the scenes, we got a firsthand look at how the additional game will look for each team around the NFL. This is based off reports that AFC teams will host the 17th game in 2021 before the NFC takes its turn in 2022, per CBS Sports' John Breech:

Green Bay Packers at Kansas City Chiefs
Chicago Bears at Las Vegas Raiders
Minnesota Vikings at Los Angeles Chargers
Detroit Lions at Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks at Pittsburgh Steelers
Los Angeles Rams at Baltimore Ravens
Arizona Cardinals at Cleveland Browns
San Francisco 49ers at Cincinnati Bengals
New Orleans Saints at Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers at Houston Texans
Atlanta Falcons at Jacksonville Jaguars
Washington Football Team at Buffalo Bills
New York Giants at Miami Dolphins
Philadelphia Eagles at New York Jets
Dallas Cowboys at New England Patriots
From the perspective of fans, this could be a whole heck of a lot of fun. The Packers and Chiefs doing battle in what could be a potential Super Bowl preview at Arrowhead Stadium.

Two former No. 1 picks in Kyler Murray of the Cardinals and Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield going up against one another. Heck, there’s a chance that former Ohio State teammates Joe Burrow of the Bengals and likely 2021 top-five pick Justin Fields will go up against one another should the San Francisco 49ers select the latter after trading up for the third selection.

None of this changes how players perceive an increased schedule. They are now going to get paid less per game than under the previous format. It’s rather clear that Kamara is not alone on this thought process.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL owners won't be happy until players start dropping dead on the field. Their greed is insatiable.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s stupid, the only answer to the season is shorten the preseason to 2 games maybe 3 and keep the 16 game season as it is

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many games. Too many injuries.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont like it. 2 reasons.
    1. too many injuries
    2. many individual records will be broken due to the extra game. i am sure the single season rushing record will fall very shortly.

this will further cheapen 1000 yard rushing and receiving seasons.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    It’s stupid, the only answer to the season is shorten the preseason to 2 games maybe 3 and keep the 16 game season as it is

preseason sucks anyway right , drop it to 2 games and make the season 18 ! the last 3 walking dead miami dolphins will love the idea so its basically a win win

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

17 games and games in Thursday. Not enough time to heal from the wear and tear. You’ll see some positions with even shorter careers. Some records helped by longevity will never be broken.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    i dont like it. 2 reasons.
    1. too many injuries
    2. many individual records will be broken due to the extra game. i am sure the single season rushing record will fall very shortly.

this will further cheapen 1000 yard rushing and receiving seasons.

Agreed but I will say a 1000 yard season doesn’t mean a thing anymore, compared to what it used to anyways.

• Options

a 1000 yard season was a BIG deal under the 12 game season. still a big deal under 14 games. when you get to 16 games, not so much. what is it, around 65 yards/game?

• Options

do you think they will add a second bye week? would have to start the season earlier.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are failing to see the big picture.

One more week of Fantasy Football!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    a 1000 yard season was a BIG deal under the 12 game season. still a big deal under 14 games. when you get to 16 games, not so much. what is it, around 65 yards/game?

How about 2000 yards in a 14 game schedule? I seem to recall only one player in history to achieve that greatness.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:

How about 2000 yards in a 14 game schedule? I seem to recall only one player in history to achieve that greatness.

The Juice?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:

Barry also got 2000 yards in 14 games, he just did it in the last 14 games of a 16-game season.

• Options

No matter how many games are played, single season records are just that single season records.
    No * will be added. When Dickerson broke Simpsons record of 2000 yards there wasn’t even talk of it like the Maris debate in baseball.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

2000 yards in a 14 game season was amazing. what a great career totally overshadowed by the person who had it.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    2000 yards in a 14 game season was amazing. what a great career totally overshadowed by the person who had it.

What do you mean? How was it overshadowed?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

What do you mean? How was it overshadowed?

April Fools!!!! I understand how it was overshadowed. Yes , this was kind of a spare april fools joke. 😂😂😂😂

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 1:28PM

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I thought when this idea was first bandied about that no player would be allowed to play
    all 17 games, that you could only play 16. Maybe they decided not to go with that idea
    because I haven't heard anyone mention it.

I recalll that, also. I believe that 16 game limit for players was only when the owners were considering unilaterally implementing the 17 game season without a new labor agreement. If they did that, the contract with the union was only for each player to play 16 regular season games, or some such language. The current and recently negotiated labor agreement adjusted that language, pavingthe way for a 17 game season, and in return, the players received some other concessions from the owners.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 1:28PM