Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card show

I went to card show and was very disappointed. Dealers have zero personality and zero customer service skills. It was like talking to a BIN on ebay. Shiny cards and overpriced raw and graded cards. No one wants to help fill want lists on raw sets. It was a waste of time. This is one thing I can cross off my list of things to do post COVID. I'll stick to virtual auctions.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 10:50AM

Are you looking for commons to complete sets? Try sportlots.com . If I was at a show I'd probably not want to be bothered fishing for your commons either ;)

Where was this show?

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Thanks, I'll check sportslots. The show was in NJ. I wasn't expecting anyone to have commons at the show, but they have no interest on follow-up help. It's too bad the hobby is either unopened or graded stars. Not too much in between. Most dealers were actually priced over BIN. A few guys tried to sell a dealer graded cards higher than he had his priced.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 12:19PM

I’m done being surprised at the total lack of people skills so many dealers have. It’s almost as if people with people skills want to be with people instead of with, you know, cards.

• Options
    Bdal231Bdal231 Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

In defense of dealers at shows. I used to do a monthly show for nearly 10 years.
    Organizing common vintage boxes was such a chore. I could spend hours organizing boxes by years so set collectors could find their needs for vintage sets. Only to be offered 30% of my price because the buyers were cheap. Many of the set collectors just wanted filler cards. After just a few hours of buyers searching the cards would all be mixed up and hardly worth my time.
    I ended up just putting the cards in top loads and had the buyers doing the work .
    I mostly set up at card shows so I could get in early and buy from the other dealers before everyone else. That’s where I usually make the most money

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:
    I went to card show and was very disappointed. Dealers have zero personality and zero customer service skills. It was like talking to a BIN on ebay. Shiny cards and overpriced raw and graded cards. No one wants to help fill want lists on raw sets. It was a waste of time. This is one thing I can cross off my list of things to do post COVID. I'll stick to virtual auctions.

nothing wrong with wanting to fill sets, but in this market i don't blame anyone for not wanting to load from storage, unload to show, reload to van, then unload again back to storage boxes of commons. hopefully you weren't basing your personality profiles off of "no, i didn't bring my commons to the show".

times have changed. collectors these days don't even keep base cards anymore, which i will never get. but that's their prerogative.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I get the packing and unpacking the car. The lack of desire to follow through post the show to do business. Everyone likes the low hanging fruit. I guess there is no thought that buying commons might lead to buying the stars. My other comments about lack of personality and customer service were for most dealers. They see the sale in front of them and that is it.
    Dealers with price tags, but then taking their phones out to check ebay. My best deal was buying card supplies that have been sold out from BCW.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 7:27AM

Well I just did my local card show in Tampa this wk end.
    Crowds were good $$ being spent, etc.

But.. put yourself on the other side of the table. It's not a simple task.
    Some walk in sellers have no clue.
    Asking ebay sell prices when we have to pay table fee's etc.
    1 guy wanted to trade me 3 cards that maybe sell for 100. For my 100 card.
    They all think they are dealers now walking around with their black psa travel cases.
    It does get frustrating..
    And I do talk to my customers small chat type but I don't need their life story.
    I'm there to move stuff.
    And no way I'm bringing commons to a card show unless they're vintage 50's and 60's I sure as hell aren't bringing any 90s on, commons.