Home Q & A Forum
Options

Counterfeit $100 Bill?

Rejected this as payment at work today (at least the guest was understanding! And his friends made fun of his “Monopoly money “). I didn’t have much time to truly get a detailed look but it did have all of the general markings you quick look for. No true tell-tale reason I had to say it was fake, just a hunch and better safe than unemployed haha.

The highly visible watermark was the first thing I noticed. Just curious on other opinions??

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos it appears genuine.

The red & blue ink stamps (chopmarks) on the reverse may indicate the bill was double checked in another country.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not look like a counterfeit note to my eyes.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    The red & blue ink stamps (chopmarks) on the reverse may indicate the bill was double checked in another country.

Oh neat! I wouldn’t have thought of that. I figured it was authenticity checks.

• Options

Yeah after I had a chance to take a closer look last night, I didn’t see anything amiss. Would have been easier to compare next to another bill but not like I have bank rolls rubber banded just laying around. Found a high res image online but even that’s not the real thing.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    From the photos it appears genuine.

I see them here in the US where there is a large Asian population.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

It looks genuine to my eyes. What makes you think it is a counterfeit?

• Options

The feel of the paper, it wasn’t smooth like the modern bills. But the numbers felt normal. Figured no big deal it’s an older series. But then first glance I was able to see in detail all the watermarks without light both sides sitting on the desk except the security stripe which looked normal with alternating USA 100. Ben’s collar said United States yadda yadda all the fine print was good. I manage a restaurant and feel a lot of money and I like to collect and look at a lot of money :) Like I told the guy, all the details are there, it’s more than likely absolutely genuine... he had other payment not a big deal but as everyone here knows when going through money there’s usually just something that catches your attention and makes you take a second look. Guess long answer short, the feel and the watermarks. Plus my area has had a large influx of counterfeit Benjies roll through in the last two years but nothing has ever made me question before.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that the note has a touch of environment damage? The front in the photo looks a tiny bit too-brownish strange to me, but all the specific details I look at seem ok to me. The serials, Ben's eyes, the detail closeups you showed, and the embossing from the seal on the reverse all look good to me. But you said it felt wrong, I can't feel it of course, and that is something else to consider carefully. How is the color-changing ink 100? If it is a counterfeit I think it is a very good one.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me too. If it's a fake it's a very good one.
    I have to ask though... if you rejected it as payment how do you currently have it?

Collector, occasional seller