Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ted Williams last season wire photo sliding into home

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came in today.

This wire photo was taken in what is considered Williams' last ML game - Sep 28, 1960.

The narrative is self explanatory.

There's some controversy I believe since Ted was benched after the HR and actually had a few games left to the season (at NY).

I'm sure we all know that Ted was the last person to hit over .400 in 1941 (.406).

Most noteworthy? He hit a HR at his "last" ML time at bat but didn't come out and "tip his cap" to the fans.

https://youtu.be/BPy0ykNfews

A few years back I picked up the original artwork from the Philadelphia Bulletin - 521 HOMERS

This was put in their early edition of the paper I believe.

A nice complement to the photo IMO.

Also, here's an original artwork from the same paper referencing Ted's "Comeback" of the year. In 2005 MLB started a comeback award - I'm sure Williams would've gotten it.

Ted only batted .254 with 10 HRs in 1959 - and went out with a bang in 1960 batting .316 with 29 homers.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 1:15PM

Love it Mike; Jack Fisher who surrendered that last HR is local to where I live & I'll see him a few times a year and he'll talk about that event freely!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it. What a great addition.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Mike. Will that be displayed in the man cave?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Very nice Mike. Will that be displayed in the man cave?

Thanx Nick.

I'm debating getting it framed - tho - as of late - the cost of framing is quite relatively high - especially for quality work.

note: I made this a separate thread instead of the monthly pickup area because of the historical significance for people to read and reference. I'm sure there's plenty of people who didn't know that it was - post facto by design - his last AB when he homered - plus he "still" refused to address the crowd. Plus, he didn't go back into the field for the next inning - again denying fans that "moment?" This all had to do with how he was treated many, many years earlier I believe. IMO? Not cool on his part.

Also, I hoped that people would get a kick out of the fact that he - the year before - hit - for him - poorly - but had a "banner" year in his career last.

The ambivalence of Boston fans towards Williams must've been quite apparent in the day?

Mike