Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Please help with grading '87 Tiffany cards set

Hi Newbie here..
Bought sealed '87 Tiffany set recently on eBay to open. Here's are some of photos..I am pretty happy with overall outcome esp. Barry Bonds...is it better than 9 though? Just a word of caution '87 Tiffany set is notorious for tampering & concealment despite seller claiming originally "sealed" even tho seal is intact. Your feedback is welcome..

Comments

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Other than the bump on the back border of the bonds they look really nice. I would take that Larkin off your hands :)

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The bonds looks very nice, but no one can say a 10 guaranteed. You have to send it expecting a 9 but hoping 10. What sucks is at only $300+ for a PSA 9, paying $100 vs $20 and waiting forever is a big decision.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

A well centered Tiffany Bonds? Like a unicorn.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this beauty. Why is it a 9, look at the print dot on the nameplate. It doesn’t take much...

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ringer said:

lots of these unicorns out there.

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    I purchased this beauty. Why is it a 9, look at the print dot on the nameplate. It doesn’t take much...

Probably more the lipstick above the Reds logo!!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@NGS428 said:

Probably more the lipstick above the Reds logo!!

Tiffany liked her lipstick.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

Yeah, it’s just my frustration with the Tiffanys I’ve pulled from sets that are terribly off center for a premium card.

• Options

@ringer said:

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

Yeah, it’s just my frustration with the Tiffanys I’ve pulled from sets that are terribly off center for a premium card.

are you sure you didn't mean opc bonds? because that's a true unicorn. imo, there's a plethora of centered 87 tiffany bonds out there.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

are you sure you didn't mean opc bonds? because that's a true unicorn. imo, there's a plethora of centered 87 tiffany bonds out there.

They seem to be avoiding me like the plague.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2021 1:05PM

@ringer said:

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

@blurryface said:

@ringer said:

They seem to be avoiding me like the plague.

cardboard karma? :)

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 8:05AM

Assuming the Bonds' surface doesn't have the dreaded '87 Tiffany chip on it I think it's a 10 and would submit it at that pricing tier, same with McGwire and Clark. The others won't 10.

Arthur

• Options
    ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭

Thanks to everyones w/feedbacks. Decided today to Express it for grading on Bonds and McGwire. Hopefully I'll get it back in a month...?

• Options

Spending $150 to grade the McGwire is a reach if it doesn't 10... It's not even worth $150 if it gets a 9. Probably should cost average and send them both regular. Besides, regular is only a few weeks behind express right now.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Assuming the Bonds' surface doesn't have the dreaded '87 Tiffany chip on it I think it's a 10 and would submit it at that pricing tier, same with McGwire and Clark. The others won't 10.

Arthur

I don’t think there’s ever a case where you should submit at a tier that needs a 10 to be worthwhile.

• Options

Looks like PSA made the decision for you ;)

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Spending $150 to grade the McGwire is a reach if it doesn't 10... It's not even worth $150 if it gets a 9. Probably should cost average and send them both regular. Besides, regular is only a few weeks behind express right now.

Well thinking was initially plan on Superexpressing Bonds and hope for a 10 but just couldnt pull the trigger on gambling $300 on a single card. So I figured I'll use the same $ for 2 cards- Bonds/McGwire and just wait little longer. If either gets a 10 or two 9s I am fine with that since I plan on holding it long term.

@RufussCkingston said:
    Looks like PSA made the decision for you ;)

Well my cardma sense worked like charm yesterday and beat PSA to the punch...very same sense I am now going on to give 10's :)

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

I don’t think there’s ever a case where you should submit at a tier that needs a 10 to be worthwhile.

Agree to disagree.

Arthur

• Options

Just got Express return today, 48-49days...needless to say I am pissed.

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 2:07PM

That's a major crease along the on this date portion. On the back. Was it not there when you sent it?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Sorry, that really sucks. The cards look great, though.

• Options

What is up with the bonds 4?

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened a set a few years ago - half the box was way O/C and half was 50/50. Bonds was an O/C casualty, but everyone else was really nice.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@Mcvillagehtx said:
    That's a major crease along the on this date portion. On the back. Was it not there when you sent it?

Its obvious now and you can see it in the Original scan but it shows up on the Cased one much better. This is just a Plain Ol "UH OH...Missed It!" This is a typical manufacturing wrinkle, not added post manufacturing.

Thanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@Mcvillagehtx said:

Its obvious now and you can see it in the Original scan but it shows up on the Cased one much better. This is just a Plain Ol "UH OH...Missed It!" This is a typical manufacturing wrinkle, not added post manufacturing.

Yeah, it's barely there in the OP scan but much easier to see in the case. Very, very easy to miss regardless. Definitely an ouch of a grade!

• Options
    edited June 4, 2021 5:38AM

Oh crap! That crease! Didnt noticed/suspect when subbed since it came straight from sealed box...and now its making sense...holy moly. I guess better get one of those lumen equipment stuff and magnifer prior to subs. This was my second subs ever and first to return so gonna chalk it up being rookie mistake. Gonna hold on to Bond 4 as expensive lesson learned. Good eye Mcvillagehtx!