Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Meager Wrestling Collection

Back story on my introduction to the wonderful world of wrestling was through my Grandmother back in the mid to late 70's. Just as she loved her local religious programming she loved wrestling. Only thing she could get was a signal coming out of New Brunswick, Canada. Sitting on top of the tv was the antenna rotor box, Turn it to the right, whrrr, whrrr, whrrr, whrrr, STOP!. Go back to the left, whrrr, whrrr, whrrr, STOP! Go back to the right. Finally you'd get an okay signal. Couldn't tell you who anyone was as time has taken all that from my mind but it was about as low budget as you could get. A tiny ring with a small bleacher in the background (probably 4 rows) with just a handful of very loud audience members. My Grandmother would sit there on the bed yelling at the tv. LOL!!!

Early 80's I know I saw some matches but can't remember which ones (Bob Backlund stands out) but around 1984 I was hooked pretty much around the time that Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka did the infamous Piper's Pit. Bought magazines, had posters on the wall. Had some of the toys and cards (which I still have). Friends would come over and watch and we all had a great time.

I was lucky in that I wasn't just subjected to the stars of the WWF. Saw many tv matches with Ric Flair, The Four Horsemen, The Road Warriors and many other greats. I tended to like the bad guys. Roddy Piper and his non-stop mouth was simply one of the best. Ric Flair was great as a heel.

At some point (late 80's/early 90's) I kinda grew out of it. My older brother though kept watching and believing everything he saw. I would go over to his place and he would be freaking out when anytime his favorite wrestler Chyna would get knocked around. I would sit there laughing my (well, you know) off which would get him more upset.

Flash forward and Dpeck100 shared his passion for the incredible Wrestling All-Stars sets on this board. For most it was a set long forgotten but I had been aware of it for years prior. Always said I would pick them up because they had been cheap for years, yeah, well that didn't last. :smiley:

Once my boys got into it I started getting back into it as well. I don't follow it in this modern era as I tend to be stuck in the past. Still love the 70's and 80's time frame and love the attitude era.

So with all that said, here is my collection as it is currently.

Magazines

DVD and Blu-Rays

Various Toys and Stuff

Funny little story about the talking Becky Lynch doll. My wife who is super cool with all my quirks and passion for stuff spotted it while out and bought it as a joke thinking I would be like why did you buy that BUT I love it. She went and bought the last one so I now have two in different rooms.

**Cards including all of the 1985 Topps which I bought in the year of issue and survived fairly well over the years. **

Not a card but still an interesting item. 1999 Surge Soda Trivia Facts Rey Mysterio Jr (which by the way is my 11 year olds FAVORITE wrestler). I have no idea how many others were made and lucky it was something I kept.

And some odds and ends.

I know I have a few more items stashed somewhere in my mess and will find them eventually.

So big thanks to my long gone Grandmother for subjecting me to some of the corniest wrestling I ever watched, to my kids for being able to share with them a passion for the era I grew up watching and Dpeck for reminding me of a set I loved but never purchased and his extreme passion that he shares with the board which I am sure has rubbed off on others.

Comments

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

The magazine covers are classic!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Jeff

Incredible post buddy!

Bruno and Andre! Now that takes me back.

My memory is fading...

Are you the king of the miscuts? Not totally sure that was you?

Those mags are the best.

Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome Barf!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Poster mag looks sick. Love it :)

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Jeff

Incredible post buddy!

Bruno and Andre! Now that takes me back.

My memory is fading...

Are you the king of the miscuts? Not totally sure that was you?

Those mags are the best.

Hi Mike,

Yup, I'm that miscut guy (hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right :smiley: ) so your memory is spot on.

I love the magazines Such a different time when little eyes saw the world in such an innocent way. But learning the truth behind wrestling never took away from my enjoyment of it. Those were a yard sale haul from around 1984-85ish. My parents used to do the rounds of buying and reselling and spotted those, drove home to see if I would be interested and drove back to pick them up. They weren't the greatest of parents (and that's being mild), but on occasion had their moments.