Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY - 84 Donruss Mattingly

Could this be a counterfeit? What else would cause this? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    Could this be a counterfeit? What else would cause this? Any thoughts?

i actually ran across an '84 ryan tiffany that was a reproduction at some point a while back. not sure when i bought them but when i went to go sub what i had before the price increase i noticed "reproduction" on the bottom of the back.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I just got that back from PSA on a 59 Mantle.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I know there have been a couple of Donruss Mattingly 'Anniversary reprints' or whatever. But if that were the case, wouldn't the card just get graded as is? Not hit with an N4?

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be the employee that looked at your card couldn’t tell the difference between a factory set mattingly and a wax box pulled mattingly for edges and corners.

Also, along with all the other policy changes, I think the minimum size requirement designation is being phased out. Vouchers don’t make money and I would imagine would be a pain to administer.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

There are counterfeits out there. This one was rubber stamped but I know there were ones not stamped. I saved a lot of stuff from my time in eBay's EMR program so if I find anything else I'll post it.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Wow...........FML

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

A linky.

https://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com/2020/02/18/how-to-spot-a-fake-don-mattingly-1984-donruss-248-rookie-card/

I did find another example in my archive of counterfeit sellers but it also had the BS reprint stamping. I know there had been several sellers buying them un-stamped but stated as a "reprint" in the listing of which once they received the junk would list as real. Because once upon a time eBay allowed one to view what people were purchasing it was super easy spotting these and getting them removed before someone got screwed but times changed, they did away with all us EMR guys/gals, made it so you can't see what people were up to (which I get and understand) and after that I saw a huge increase in these counterfeits (Mantle, Jordan, Gretzky etc).

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    My guess would be the employee that looked at your card couldn’t tell the difference between a factory set mattingly and a wax box pulled mattingly for edges and corners.

Also, along with all the other policy changes, I think the minimum size requirement designation is being phased out. Vouchers don’t make money and I would imagine would be a pain to administer.

I don't understand. Since your card isn't charged until the cards ship, why would they need vouchers for an N6?

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Datex,

Not sure why it was the N6 designated cards were administered that way. Never really made sense. But I haven’t had a N6 designated card for a couple of years so perhaps the policy has changed.

-Nathanael

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Hi Datex,

Not sure why it was the N6 designated cards were administered that way. Never really made sense. But I haven’t had a N6 designated card for a couple of years so perhaps the policy has changed.

-Nathanael

Well, too many times my order has come back charged less than the submission form calculated due to N6. :(