Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ted Williams Dies :(

Was checking through news stories, stumbled upon this:

Red Sox Great Ted Williams Dies
The Associated Press
Jul 5 2002 1:00PM

<< <i>CRYSTAL RIVER, Fla. (AP) - Ted Williams, the Boston Red Sox revered and sometimes reviled ``Splendid Splinter'' and baseball's last .400 hitter, has died at age 83.
Williams, who suffered a series of strokes and congestive heart failure in recent years, was taken Friday to Citrus County Memorial Hospital ``where he was pronounced deceased,'' said sheriff's department spokesman Lt. Joe Eckstein.

He underwent open-heart surgery in January 2001 and had a pacemaker inserted in November 2000.

The Hall of Famer always wanted to be known as the greatest hitter ever, and his stats backed up the claim.

A two-time MVP who twice won the Triple Crown, Williams hit .344 lifetime with 521 home runs - despite twice interrupting his career to serve as a Marine Corps pilot in World War II and the Korean War.

He had 145 RBIs as a Red Sox rookie in 1939 and closed out his career - fittingly - by hitting a home run at Fenway Park in his final major league at-bat in 1960.

Williams' greatest achievement came in 1941 when he batted .406, getting six hits in a doubleheader on the final day of the season.

Williams contended his eyesight was so keen he could pick up individual stitches on a pitched ball and could see the exact moment his bat connected with it.

He also asserted he could smell the burning wood of his bat when he fouled a ball straight back, just missing solid contact.

07/05/02 12:56 EDT >>

Comments

• Options
    Was going to post some comments, but I believe the article sums up the "Slendid Splinter"'s contributions to baseball and serving our country.
  • Options
    The sports world lost a legend......

Wanted: Mint or graded David Robinson.
    Wanted: Mint or PSA 9 98-99 SP Authentic Basketball inserts MICHAEL, NBA 2K, 1st Class, Sign of the Times.

eBay i.d. Hobby_Inc with 500+ feedbacks