Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold sure to Rocket and Bitcoin crash...............

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?

Because Cramer just recommended getting rid of 1/2 your gold holdings and use it to buy Bitcoin.

I find Cramer to be a dufus.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

While crypto prices are pretty much at the mercy of speculators I find one aspect of them very promising. Cryptos and blockchain technology help to disrupt the corrupt control of our system of banks and currency. This may be their ultimate value. I am truly surprised that the corrupt controllers have allowed them to prosper as long as they have.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

I agree. Cramer is a joke. He has caused a lot of harm, especially during the housing crisis. I guess he is getting primed for the next financial crisis. Booyah!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup do the opposite of what Cramer recommends and you are on top. Been that way for what seems like a few decades. How does such a parasite still have a job?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

IMO he is a messenger for all those companies that he pumps up for the viewers to buy, because he cannot own any equities if he mentions them on his ridiculous circus show. Then, it works in the reverse way when he trash talks about equities to dump. Reeks of insider trading and under the table handouts. I would love to see a probe into his financial records for the last 30 years! Oh, and I just remembered that he said Bear Stearns wasn’t going anywhere and you are stupid if you sell their stock.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Yup do the opposite of what Cramer recommends and you are on top. Been that way for what seems like a few decades. How does such a parasite still have a job?

Because the people that pay to advertise on CNBC know to do just what you do - they get advertising and cheap/reliable investing advice...

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@Rhodl said:
    IMO he is a messenger for all those companies that he pumps up for the viewers to buy, because he cannot own any equities if he mentions them on his ridiculous circus show. Then, it works in the reverse way when he trash talks about equities to dump. Reeks of insider trading and under the table handouts. I would love to see a probe into his financial records for the last 30 years! Oh, and I just remembered that he said Bear Stearns wasn’t going anywhere and you are stupid if you sell their stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EbPxTm5_s

• Options

Thanks drei3ree!

• Options
    edited March 26, 2021 1:59PM

Note the price relationship between bitcoin and the S&P 500:

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb: that graph requires careful interpretation. I'm not sure what it is intended to convey, but I might dare to call it deceptive. Because of the different scales for the S&P and bitcoin, it would be very easy to draw erroneous conclusions. For example, anyone looking at the graph would naturally conclude that bitcoin is less volatile than the S&P, and, notably, that bitcoin weathered the early COVID crisis better than the S&P. If you look carefully, however, it becomes clear that bitcoin got hammered more severely than the S&P.

Higashiyama
  • Options

simple. it conveys, with simple interpretation, that bitcoins rise since 2016 is very similar to the rise of the SP500. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Options

“ it conveys, with simple interpretation, that bitcoins rise since 2016 is very similar to the rise of the SP500.”

Except that is not true.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    simple. it conveys, with simple interpretation, that bitcoins rise since 2016 is very similar to the rise of the SP500. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sheeple follow the herd? Well except with metals. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    “ it conveys, with simple interpretation, that bitcoins rise since 2016 is very similar to the rise of the SP500.”

Except that is not true.

The chart does not show you that when S&P rose, bitcoin rose and when S&P dropped, bitcoin dropped? lol

I find it a telling observation.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cramer is nothing more than a Goldman Sachs carnival barker for stocks. Meh.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb: Actually, the chart is quite deceptive. A cursory glance might lead someone to believe that bitcoin and the S&P are strongly correlated. This confusion arises in part because of the scaling, and in part because both S&P and bitcoin grew substantially in value over the entire five year period beginning in 2016.

In fact, if you start with the underlying data and calculate monthly price movements over the period, you'll find that the price movements of bitcoin are only about 20 % correlated with those of the S&P. (ie, the correlation coefficient of the two price movement data series is about 0.20) In many periods, bitcoin and the S&P move in opposite directions.

Although it is easiest to draw this conclusion by going to the underlying data, it is evident from the graph as well. The price behavior of bitcoin and S&P look particularly uncorrelated in 2018 and 2019. In fact, the correlations are negative in both of these years -- and are quite strongly negative in 2019.

By way of comparison, the 20 % correlation of bitcoin and the S&P compares to a 95 % correlation of NASDAQ with the S&P over the same period.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great analysis and spot on.

I would have just said more typical regurgitated drivel, but im an arrogant bot.

I do love the games some bloggers like to play. Game on!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the opposite of Kramer and mad a TON on Haliburton back in the day. Dalio says Bitcoin may be out lawed like they did in India.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The chart could represent a positively-correlated asymmetric relationship with a time lapse factor, even considering the scaling.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't care for Cramer.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cramer is still on tv ? I haven’t seen him in years.

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Its a very deceptive chart as it doesn't really convey that. Bitcoin correlations are very interesting though.

Clearer data for correlation based on year since 2016:

Calendar Year Correlation to Bitcoin S&P 500
    2020 0.22
    2019 -0.09
    2018 0.04
    2017 -0.01

Those are weak or no correlation based on year. Generally need above 0.7 for strong correlation, 0.5 to 0.7 is considered moderate. Shows you need exposure though although the 50% drop for ₿ in March was brutal. Was not happy about it then but didn't sell either as properly diversified.

• Options

The derryb bot makes its own charts.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

"Since 2016"... that's precious.

thefinn
  • Options

Derryb is cramers ASSistant